Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    126

    Down for 36 hours

    One of my reseller accounts has been down for 36 hours now. One excuse after another why its still down so long.

    My other reseller account has had its IP number on a spam list for two weeks now and all email going to Road Runner bounces back. The webhost claims the IP has been removed from the spam lists, perhaps so, but Road Runner won't accept email from any of my clients on that server.

    I'm running out of patience.
    We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth together as brothers.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

  2. #2
    It can quite difficult to have an IP removed from ISP blacklists. Some work well, some don't. Road Runner is not one of the easy ones.
    ZZ Servers - Business Hosting, HIPAA and PCI Compliant Hosting Solutions - http://www.zzservers.com
    Xen Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Shared Hosting
    Custom configurations, firewall, VPN, load balancers, private networks and more.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori1975 View Post
    One of my reseller accounts has been down for 36 hours now. One excuse after another why its still down so long.
    Sorry to hear that. It becomes even worse situation if you are not getting genuine explanation for the down time. So what excuses are they giving for the down time?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,571
    Sorry to hear about you bad experience, do keep us updated as to how long they remain down.
    Last edited by writespeak; 10-12-2009 at 02:57 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,458
    Sounds like it is time to find a new provider. What are your specs (disk/bandwidth/budget) ?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori1975 View Post
    One of my reseller accounts has been down for 36 hours now. One excuse after another why its still down so long.

    My other reseller account has had its IP number on a spam list for two weeks now and all email going to Road Runner bounces back. The webhost claims the IP has been removed from the spam lists, perhaps so, but Road Runner won't accept email from any of my clients on that server.

    I'm running out of patience.
    that mount of downtime is difficult to work with. Obviously disasters happen and the larger this node is, the longer it will take to recover.. but, if you are not getting adequate updates and information, that can be frustrating...

    regarding the ISP blacklisting your mail.. Are you by any chance forwarding mail from your domains to Roadrunner?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    1,473
    3 days down...Do you know if they did backups?
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 8+ years. | Powerful, reliable network.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.
    █ Cloud VPS | Alpha Reseller | Master Reseller | Reseller | BBB Rated "A+".
    █ 24/7/365 Help desk support | Recurring Affiliate Program available.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Sorry to hear that. It becomes even worse situation if you are not getting genuine explanation for the down time. So what excuses are they giving for the down time?
    1) It was an electrical problem and they were moving to a new server
    2) The new server crashed during the move and another move is taking place.

    Almost 46 hours of downtime now.
    We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth together as brothers.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    that mount of downtime is difficult to work with. Obviously disasters happen and the larger this node is, the longer it will take to recover.. but, if you are not getting adequate updates and information, that can be frustrating...

    regarding the ISP blacklisting your mail.. Are you by any chance forwarding mail from your domains to Roadrunner?
    I am forwarding two domains to RR, but all mail to RR is being blacklisted including mail I send to RR email addresses.
    We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth together as brothers.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    3 days down...Do you know if they did backups?
    Yes, they do back ups, but I don't know how often.
    We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth together as brothers.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by db09 View Post
    Sounds like it is time to find a new provider. What are your specs (disk/bandwidth/budget) ?
    I tried to move several months ago, but they have the server set so that no one can move sites away and when I asked about it all I got was a smart *ss answer wishing me good luck with my new provider.
    We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth together as brothers.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori1975 View Post
    I am forwarding two domains to RR, but all mail to RR is being blacklisted including mail I send to RR email addresses.
    I suspect Andrew was thinking that spam received at your server and forwarded (by you) to your RR account might actually be causing RR to blacklist your server. It's a complete PITA but many blacklists do operate in this way.

    The downtime though is another matter. You have way more patience than I would in your situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori1975 View Post
    I tried to move several months ago, but they have the server set so that no one can move sites away and when I asked about it all I got was a smart *ss answer wishing me good luck with my new provider.
    Sounds like all the more reason to get out as soon as you can. Even if they've disabled backups in the control panel there are other options, eg. cgi script to dump databases and ftp to download files. A lot more work but perhaps worth it...
    Chris

    "Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Who is the parent company that is provding your reseller account?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9
    I would change provider

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Sounds like all the more reason to get out as soon as you can. Even if they've disabled backups in the control panel there are other options, eg. cgi script to dump databases and ftp to download files. A lot more work but perhaps worth it...
    I don't know how to do any of that unfortunately and some of my customers have WP sites that could get horribly messed up if the transfer were not done properly.

    We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth together as brothers.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori1975 View Post
    I don't know how to do any of that unfortunately and some of my customers have WP sites that could get horribly messed up if the transfer were not done properly.

    Any way even you want to transfer it server should be up. If you have the upto date back up you can use that to move. What was the difficulty to move when you tried ?. Seems many of the providers will help you to migrate your site.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Any way even you want to transfer it server should be up. If you have the upto date back up you can use that to move. What was the difficulty to move when you tried ?. Seems many of the providers will help you to migrate your site.
    The server is back online now, but some of the wordpress blogs are messed up badly, hoping it won't be impossible to straighten them out.

    I don't know what the difficulty in moving was, the new webhost said he can't move the sites because the server is set to now allow direct transfer; the old webhost said that wasn't true, the cpanel back up was disabled so I wasn't able to back up any of the sites and I am still there, still wanting to move.
    We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth together as brothers.
    - Martin Luther King Jr.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,372
    Just back up the files and database to your PC and transfer them to new host as if you were setting up site from scratch. No need to go thru the cpanel exports/imports

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori1975 View Post
    I don't know how to do any of that unfortunately and some of my customers have WP sites that could get horribly messed up if the transfer were not done properly.

    Hello,

    Honestly, with FTP and phpmyadmin access, it is pretty easy to move. Most hosting providers will help you with this. This much downtime really isnt appropriate and I can understand your frustration.. Find a new provider and just ask for help moving.

    Having said this, I would strongly advise you do not setup those forwards to RR again once you switch hosts. Unfortunately, you are probably blacklisting yourself with RR.. ISPs really should not operate blacklists like this, but, they do - so, if you are forwarding mail, and some of it is spam, the ISP sees the server that forwarded the mail as the spam source, and not the original sender of the spam.. It is a very very common problem and many providers have simply banned such forwards completely.. Either setup proper pop/imap mail boxes or utilize 3rd party mail like gmail to consolidate accounts and set all MX records to point there.. The days of using an ISP email account and forwarding everything else to it are going away unfortunately, and this is because ISP's are not able or not willing to deal with spam properly and are rather just choosing to blacklist servers that forward mail to them..

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Midwest
    Posts
    1,458
    Dori,

    If a new host won't help you transfer Wordpress sites, it is relatively easy and takes about 15 or 20 minutes depending on the time you will spend uploading files.

    You simply need to download the existing Wordpress files via FTP, export the database, upload the existing Wordpress file, import the database, change the database information (db_name, db_password) in the Wordpress config.php file and wah-lah. Wordpress restored.

    After that much downtime, it is definitely time to move on.

    Dave

  21. #21
    Just a little bit of advise, if I may. For any future hosting package you may purchase, it is advisable to get a dedicated IP address if possible (some providers may not provide you with one because of the shortage of IPv4 addresses). These mostly cost around $2 a month and prevent you from ending up on some blacklist because of somebody else.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by gnummep-martin View Post
    Just a little bit of advise, if I may. For any future hosting package you may purchase, it is advisable to get a dedicated IP address if possible (some providers may not provide you with one because of the shortage of IPv4 addresses). These mostly cost around $2 a month and prevent you from ending up on some blacklist because of somebody else.
    A dedicated IP will not help you unfortunately in regards to an email RBL listing.. a dedicated IP in the sense you are speaking just means that your site will be hosted on its own IP. Mail service will still run through the SMTP server and the associated IP. The only way to have your own SMTP is to have your own mail server setup (either dedicated or VPS). However, if a user is forwarding a significant amount of email to a specific ISP, having their own mail server and their own SMTP IP will not help them, as they will get their own IP listed from the mail forwards just as quickly as they are getting the shared SMTP IP listed...

    Hope this helps..

  23. #23
    I think you should consider using a tool like this...this could definitely help!
    http://njabl.org/
    Goodluck!!!

Similar Threads

  1. My VPS is down 7 hours!
    By skywin in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 07:50 PM
  2. AllManaged, 2 Hours = 70 Hours
    By FULLAMHRD in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 01:13 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 03:52 AM
  4. How many hours of sysadmin hours to buy ?
    By Ben99 in forum Hosting Security and Technology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 10:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •