Centos Installation - Drived me crazy

Hi everyone,

I've installed Centos on several desktops and servers but never faced this problem.
    the installation process freezes during the formatting part. I found some posts on Centos forum. they advised to use the text mode. Did it! but again freezed at 98%.

here it goes:

Hardware:
    HP m8400f
    AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core 2.20 (32-64 support)
    RAM 3.00 GB
    Chipset nvidia nforce 430 (which i think causes the problem!)
    HDD: 2x360 sata

Please advise. its driving me nuuuuutts!

Do you have the same issue with the 32-bit version?
    Is there a raid controller installed in the system?
    What exact version of CentOS 5 are you using?
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Hi!

I could think of a HD problem or something like that. Try to use a live cd (knoppix, ubuntu live, other) and format the hd manually and see if it gives any errors.

Also, you could try another distro, like Debian (my personal favorite), but I'm *not* telling this is the problem, you should go the live cd and try to format manually.

Please report on your progress and/or other problems.

I hope this helps,

Ildefonso Camargo

Thanks for your replies.

- There is no raid controller. I wished to make a raid 1. but tried different scenarios with raid and without during the installation. NO RESULTS!
    - I didn't install the 32 bit version. I'll do it! but it wont work for future dev, as I want to have more ram on the system.
    - version is: CentOS-5.3-x86_64
    - I liked the live CD formatting idea! yet I'm not sure if it will work. this system is supposed to act as a server so no other OS is or was going to be installed on it.
    - I want to install cpanel on it and not other distro is "supported" by Cpanel.

I'll keep pushing and let everybody know.
    Please share your ideas and comments to solve this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jarchee View Post
    - I liked the live CD formatting idea! yet I'm not sure if it will work. this system is supposed to act as a server so no other OS is or was going to be installed on it.
    The whole idea is just to isolate the problem, and be able to tell whether it is a hardware or software issue. If the "manual" formating works: then you know it is a software problem, and thus can try: another instaler, another distro,........

boot from the centos cd, type " linux rescue "
    enter rescue mode, mount your hard drives manualy and check them from there.
    you will need to use the tools:

fdisk
    mke2fs
    mount
    fsck
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

In text mode, you should be able to hit alt-f4 (or one of the other f-keys, can't recall off the top of my head) to see whats going on in the background during the install process. Look for errors.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

thanks,
    I got great replies here.
    at centos forum, the solution was to install every thing on an ATA drive. during 30 min ago I was looking for an ATA that I was successful to find a new one!!!!! just think of that i got a new maxtor ATA.
    I'm trying to install it on that drive. I'll let you know what will happen.
    Please keep the topic on going. Let's think of other alternatives! this might happen for every one. and maybe less than 1% of us can get ATA drives even out of old boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    In text mode, you should be able to hit alt-f4 (or one of the other f-keys, can't recall off the top of my head) to see whats going on in the background during the install process. Look for errors.
    Nothing works when it freezes. not any KB button!

I've seen this before and check your BIOS setting for SATA. There may be a setting you can switch between "native mode" or "compat mode.

I installed Centos successfully with the ATA drive. Now i have to sync it with SATA. I hope it doesn't bother much!

did anyone had same xp?

I installed Centos successfully with the ATA drive. Now i have to sync it with SATA. I hope it doesn't bother much!

did anyone had same xp?
    Well, I believe that the worst problem could have is to edit fstab to make it use the new hd, but this is not always necessary (depends on hardware type), oh, I don't remember if CentOS uses grub or lilo, but in anycase, you may need to modify boot loader's config.

c-ya!

I have experience with that, whenever hard disk partition order is disturb, though remake partition during installation wont help, i do format hdd with fdisk or dm after that installation is successful.