Out of country hosting?

Question for everyone. Is it a good/bad idea to aquire hosting outside of your own country? For example, I am currently residing in the US, but I have had offers for hosting in Amsterdam. Now, say I get ripped off, or something else not-nice happens. Am I able to go after them, etc? Just looking for personal experiences, and opinions.

Thanks

Well...I'm in the UK, hosted in the USA, by a company in Sri Lanka.

Welcome to the global community that is internet!

PS - Fraud and theft tend to be criminal acts in most countries. I'm sure you would be able to contact the national police force to report any such crime, if committed against yourself.

As amazing as this may seem to people in the US, other countries do have laws.

But they are probably just as useless as the US laws when it comes to small amounts.
    I've read many stories about people who were going to sue other companies but I have yet to hear the first story where the court granted their claim and gave them their $ 5.- back.

However there is nothing stopping you from getting a Dutch lawyer and taking this company to court. No need for you to be present in the courtroom.

My site was hosted out of county a couple times. The only bad thing I can see is the time zones, but even that can be good.

As far as getting ripped off, it has already been mentioned in here.
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

hello,i live in china,many friends of me want to build sites and they want to buy good hosting and domain name out of china,because many chinese company are not so good service,
    the company's bad service and low -quality hosting make us sick,
    and the serve often down by politic reasons.
    we really don't want to setup a downlaod sites and anything which break the copyright.

and for us ,price and payment is a big problem.many people like asp hosting,but 95% hosting company here don't sell it,most of hosting are on a linux or unix server

Yeah. A great advantage to me is that the only major features I require are cpanel, PHP and mySQL on a linux box.

Originally posted by Paingasm.net
    Yeah. A great advantage to me is that the only major features I require are cpanel, PHP and mySQL on a linux box.
    Awhile ago people were discussing economies of scale, a few people on WHT live in very dirt poor countries, but operate hosting companies out of places like rackshack, doing all of their work remotely, for them, $10/day of income is good money and enough for an entire family to live on. If you're in the scale for smaller account hosting, you cant skip this consideration, just be weary of where the servers are located (a few places unload cheap servers in singapore, russia, china, etc. and their uplinks are total garbage).