Looking for a New Host & Opinions

Hi,

Been looking for an new host for a while & am glad I finally found this forum. Presently, I am being throttled by Bluehost as I am using too much CPU. Of course, I have unlimited bandwidth & disc space

So, here's the skinny:

-Wordpress site
    -8 months old & growing fast
    -presently using 67 megs of disc space & 15 gigs of bandwidth/month
    -all posts have pics
    -nothing unusual about the site, has ads, buttons, etc that call on external js. About 15 in total.
    -have about 7 plugins, all very popular, nothing strange
    -getting about 15k uniques/month & 45k impressions, evenly distrubuted
    -would like server to be able to handle spikes, say we get a shout out from the NY Times
    -don't make much with the site & can't afford to pay for a dedicated server

There you have it. Here is a list of hosts that I have spoken with or reviewed so far: Inmotion(recommends dedicated), JustHost (service poor), HostGator(shared plans cannot handle),FatCow (thinks shared plans will be ok, but I wonder),Webzpro (so far seems like the best option), MediaTemple (too many very poor reviews)

I have researched many more but actually contacted most of the aformentioned. I did sign up with Webfaction as they came recommended & can handle my traffic & space needs nicely but they offer no phone support & I am having a very difficult time understand there system. They do not use cpanel. I have been emailing them back & forth for 30 hours & am still confused so I think I will be canceling.

I hope that is not too much info. I am feeling a bit discouraged over here. I hope you all can help!

Alan

don't pick an unlimited package and you will be fine. look around for some positive reviews and when you find some then see how fast there support replies.
    Best Regards,

Mark

Any non-oversold shared host should be able to hold your website just fine. I would recommend taking a look at the shared hosting offers section:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Some hosts that have a good reputation are fusednetwork, hawkhost, medialayer, and many more...
    HighLayer - Canadian Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Dedicated Servers
    Latest cPanel/WHM - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - 24/7 Support
    Visit www.highlayer.com or Call 1-888-84-LAYER

BlueHost is pretty bad about the Throttling (been hearing from a lot of people it makes things *crawl*).

Going with any reputable host should resolve this for you - HostGator has been good to me in the past
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Thanks...

Hawkhost allows adult sites, no? That turns me off a bit.
    Heard anything about Inmotion or Webzpro?

What's wrong with a provider allowing legal adult content/sites on their hosting servers?

You are usually better off staying away from hosts that offer, say, 2500GB or unlimited disk space/bandwidth.

I would suggest taking a good hard look at Hawkhost. They are a great host and have served me quite well. Do a search on here for review for them and I think you'll find that I'm not alone.

Even if you think Hawkhost isn't right for you, as a general rule you will get better service choosing something more reasonable. Take a look at Downtownhost and Precision Effect as well.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Alan108 View Post
    Thanks...

Hawkhost allows adult sites, no? That turns me off a bit.
    Heard anything about Inmotion or Webzpro?
    I don't know, perhaps ask their sales department?

Visit HawkHost.com click live chat?
    Send them an e-mail?
    Call them?
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Since you are using a Wordpress blog and your host claims that you are using too much CPU, have you tried to install the WP-SuperCache plugin? It should reduce your CPU usages and improve your page load.

Is your website of adult content? If I am not mistaken hosting providers running LiteSpeed will not be able to host you due to their agreements with LiteSpeed Technologies. Otherwise you may want to look for some high quality provider like MediaLayer.com.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Not using Supercache yet. Wanted to change hosts 1st as Bluehost will continue to be a problem. Good suggestion though, we will install it on the new host

And no, I do not have an adult site.

Not using Supercache yet. Wanted to change hosts 1st as Bluehost will continue to be a problem. Good suggestion though, we will install it on the new host

And no, I do not have an adult site.
    Well you should definitely try WP-SuperCache now, since it will lower down your CPU usage (which prevents you from being suspended by Bluehost).

If you are not hosting an adult website, there should not be any barriers for you to find a host of your choice.

The only barriers are the cpu throttling that is occurring with Bluehost & can continue with other providers as well, if I choose the wrong one...

which is why I am here

The only barriers are the cpu throttling that is occurring with Bluehost & can continue with other providers as well, if I choose the wrong one...

which is why I am here
    Yes you have found the right place.
    Just for your information that most hosting provider (non-unlimited and non-oversold) will not throttle your CPU usage but will contact you if you uses too much CPU & RAM and work with you to resolve it. Some others will suspend your hosting account immediately and notify you after that.

Thank you all...I will check back tomorrow!

reliable web hosting

hey, can anyone suggest what are reliable web hosting out there?

You may have better luck getting recommendations by starting your own thread instead of hi-jacking this one..

For best results, please include the following details therein:

How much disk space you need.
    How much bandwidth you need.
    How much can you spend per month?
    What type site you will be hosting?

Dave

which is why I am here
    AFAIK BlueHost is the only one running this CPU Throttling (it's proprietary) - the owner was talking about selling/leasing it out to other providers but that doesn't seem to have come to fruition.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Good morning... I have an update...
    Most hosts that I speak with say that I may have a problem with their shared plans. One in particular, Inmotion, specifically suggested a basic VPS for 39/month. Saying that with only 67 megs of disc space yet 15 gigs of bandwidth being used per month, that my traffic would be pushing the cpu. I was very impressed with the level of service & knowledge of the staff & they have mostly terrific reviews. What do you think?

I will be calling Hawk Host next, per this forums recommendation.
    Last edited by Alan108; 10-08-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Well...Hawk Host hasn't returned my call as of yet but I had a great experience with Liquidweb, who came referred by the owner of Webzpro, as he doesn't think his servers would handle my needs. Very impressed w/ his honesty.

Anyone know anything about Liquidweb?

What do you think?
    I don't think that 15GB of usage necessarily means you need a VPS, or pay $40/month. Do use supercache though, it'll minimize CPU usage, and thus help reduce your costs.

Quite frankly, their suggestion of a 256MB VPS for a site that they deem too busy for shared hosting, even for the $19/month package, seems strange to me. I'd say it's more of an attempt to up-sell, or worse.

Since my call w/ Liquidweb, I would say that I am leaning toward them. I agree that a company that doesn't oversell, should be able to handle my site w/ a shared server.

Dan,

nice site... WHReviews.com

Oh boy...found another w/ good reviews & supposedly better, more advanced technology...Medialayer.

Opinions? I can't keep this up for much longer :-)

NEVERMIND....THEY HAVE NO PHONE NUMBER! A phone is a mandatory req. for me
    Last edited by Alan108; 10-08-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Hi,

Anyone there that has an opinion on Liquidweb? All reviews were good until I read a recent review on this site that was not.

This co. offers most everything that I need, such as great phone support, cPanel, shared plan that is not oversold so it will handle my site & more. Just need some more opinions...

Well not many hosting provider will offer phone support as offering support through phone is not very suitable. Some host compensate this by offering live chat while others requires you to use their helpdesk for efficiency in handling support issues.