HiVelocity's Impressive Support - How "impressive" is it really?

This is really my first time ever complaining about any hosting provider. Seeing how HiVelocity is a pretty big name and has quite a few reps here on WHT as well.

So I own one of the $8 VPS I have with them. I don't use it for much other than as one of my DNS cluster servers. I figured I probably won't need much help or support with it anyway.

I recently submitted a ticket to request them to help me install a few modules to the node that wasn't installed during the initial set up. After submitting a ticket in regards to the issue I received a response about 1 hour later asking to state the specifics. However, note that I first had to bring it to their attention via live chat otherwise I'm not sure how much longer I would've needed to wait. About an hour after their reply I replied with the specifics expecting a response within a couple hours. Anyway, I woke up this morning, still no reply. Just got home from work, STILL no reply after 7 hours. I then once again brought the ticket to the attention of their live chat tech support. I'm being told that it should be resolved within the next few hours (which I hope is true).

So far I'm not getting a very positive first impression of HiVelocity's "impressive" support.

I'll be sure to keep people updated on my experience with them here.

I must say that their "impressive" support isn't that impressive.
    they don't care for their $8 customers because, as they say, support is not included in their $8 vps servers because its not their flagship product and they don't make any profit with the $8 servers.

btw, they don't even have a bandwidth meter on their $8 servers. geez.

Quote Originally Posted by flyah View Post
    I must say that their "impressive" support isn't that impressive.
    they don't care for their $8 customers because, as they say, support is not included in their $8 vps servers because its not their flagship product and they don't make any profit with the $8 servers.

btw, they don't even have a bandwidth meter on their $8 servers. geez.
    First off let me start by saying we appreciate every single one of our customers. But you cannot bash us for not giving support on a product that includes no support. Every other product we offer includes assistance from our Impressive Support Team. The $8 VPS is simply an entry level product and is it states on our site, does not include a control panel or managed services. We ensure the node is up, the rest is up to you.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

Dude... It's an $8 VPS...

From the site:
    Each partitioned server has the appearance and capabilities of running on its own dedicated machine. Each virtual server runs its own operating system (Windows or Linux), and each server can be independently rebooted. Each VPS below (excluding $8 vps) will include an unlimited domain license with either Plesk or Cpanel control panels. The $8 VPS includes no managed services.

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityGM View Post
    First off let me start by saying we appreciate every single one of our customers. But you cannot bash us for not giving support on a product that includes no support. Every other product we offer includes assistance from our Impressive Support Team. The $8 VPS is simply an entry level product and is it states on our site, does not include a control panel or managed services. We ensure the node is up, the rest is up to you.
    What if the node was missing things that could've only been fixed on the node's level, not the VPS?

I have had similar experiences with their $8 VPS. I know its low-end, but I needed it for a dumb simple task. I signed up 6/26/2009 2:52 PM, received nothing about setup, verification, etc until 6/27/2009 2:51 PM. They wanted a signed authorization form for a $8 VPS, I won't argue with that, but seriously, $8 service requires all that trouble. I requested a phone verification since faxing the form would be more of a hassle. Did phone verification around 6/30/2009 10:53 AM. Got login info for the VPS at 7/2/2009 12:44 AM.

Suffice it to say, I was not impressed by that one bit. I honestly feel that the whole time I was treated like they don't care one bit about their $8 customers. Believe me, I spend quite a bit on servers and VPS each month. For example, when I originally signed up at VPSLink, I got a Link-1 (< $10/month) to test out the waters a bit, upgraded to a Link-2 before the end of the month. When I needed support, I was treated without consideration of the amount being spent. I now have 2 Link-4s and a Link-6 with them, so $8 could turn into hundreds of dollars a month. As a result of that attitude towards low revenue customers, I doubt I'd ever sign up for a server at HiVelocity.

The cancellation process wasn't any easier either, I had to send in a scan of a signed cancellation form and it took 7 days before they confirmed the cancellation.

Perhaps my experience was abnormal, but in any case, that is what happened and I thought I'd share it.

@The Universes

I can see where that would be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by The Universes View Post
    I have had similar experiences with their $8 VPS. I know its low-end, but I needed it for a dumb simple task. I signed up 6/26/2009 2:52 PM, received nothing about setup, verification, etc until 6/27/2009 2:51 PM. They wanted a signed authorization form for a $8 VPS, I won't argue with that, but seriously, $8 service requires all that trouble. I requested a phone verification since faxing the form would be more of a hassle. Did phone verification around 6/30/2009 10:53 AM. Got login info for the VPS at 7/2/2009 12:44 AM.

Suffice it to say, I was not impressed by that one bit. I honestly feel that the whole time I was treated like they don't care one bit about their $8 customers. Believe me, I spend quite a bit on servers and VPS each month. For example, when I originally signed up at VPSLink, I got a Link-1 (< $10/month) to test out the waters a bit, upgraded to a Link-2 before the end of the month. When I needed support, I was treated without consideration of the amount being spent. I now have 2 Link-4s and a Link-6 with them, so $8 could turn into hundreds of dollars a month. As a result of that attitude towards low revenue customers, I doubt I'd ever sign up for a server at HiVelocity.

The cancellation process wasn't any easier either, I had to send in a scan of a signed cancellation form and it took 7 days before they confirmed the cancellation.

Perhaps my experience was abnormal, but in any case, that is what happened and I thought I'd share it.
    I'm not exactly trying to bash on HiVelocity but thank you for your post. It was exactly what I was looking for when I created this thread. I understand the $8 VPS does not include any managed services but I would expect issues that were too far of my reach to be handled promptly by the tech support team regardless. I'm really not expecting much seeing how it's an unmanaged VPS however, I've had other unmanaged providers who were able to assist with resolving simple but out-of-reach issues.

In other words, things only the HiVelocity support/admins has access to?

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityGM View Post
    I'm not bashing HV. it's just that you can't even give your $8 customers a bandwidth meter?

Maybe they are too busy terminating or null routing other servers.
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 8+ years. | Powerful, reliable network.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.
    █ Cloud VPS | Alpha Reseller | Master Reseller | Reseller | BBB Rated "A+".
    █ 24/7/365 Help desk support | Recurring Affiliate Program available.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I do believe that even an unmanaged provider should be able to do simple things that the customer would not be able to do themselves on a hardware node running OpenVZ, such as installing appropriate iptables modules or setting up tun/tap support for the customer's VPS.
    Rock Solid Shared, Reseller and VPS Solutions
    Cpanel/WHM, Fantastico de Luxe, Installatron, RVSkin, RVSiteBuilder, 24/7 Support
    FFMPEG, ImageMagick, PHP5, Ruby On Rails, Subversion, Trac, PDO, Zend
    DashingHost - Fast (dashing) Web Hosting