Hosting my forum on my website :D:D

Hi, I am trying to implement a forum into my site.. I am wondering how I go about having it as:

www.mydomain.com/forums.html etc

Can I download all the files and then transfer it as normal and somehow make a page for it?

I've done this before but I never hosted the forums, they were running on a server already, I was just admin and customized evrything.

ALSO is this the same way I implement a blog?

Recomendations would be great, thanks

To host a forum or blog you in general need a host which offers features like PHP and MySQL, you can then download forum or blog software and install this per the instructions of the software, or as many hosts do offer, use a auto-installer like fantastico or installatron to install the software for you, this is often just a few steps and you have everything running, all you need to do is making sure it stays up to date and configure it for your needs.

So the first step would be to figure out which software you want to use for your forum, then check if your hosts technical specifications match that of the product and get going

Thanks for the reply, I checked out a forum and I like it, but I dont know if Yahoo Hosting has what I need to install it, or how to install it really (even after reading the guide).. I'll keep loking into it.. gotta create an "Sql database" lol

just google for a php forum software, you will get hundreds like phpbb3,SMF ,etc,. Then check their documentation and proceed with installation
    24x7 PRO-ACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Now Available The first Support Brand for Startup Hosting Companies

Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Skype us : SyslintSkype | Call us : (+91)6007799

Does your Yahoo account support PHP5 and MySQL? If it does then you should be able to install it but if it does not you will need to find a new hosting plan.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

What kind of forums software did you choose. Make sure that it would be one that would allow you very easy to stop spamming. SMF is probably the best one from those who come with free licenses.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Can I download all the files and then transfer it as normal and somehow make a page for it?
    If you already have a site, it is wise to put your forum in a subdirectory or a subdomain so that you keep things nice and orderly. Most sites seem to go for a subdirectory.

You can then download the forum software from the developer (you can try a free software as mentioned above: phpbb, smf, mybb, etc.) and then you install it. You should find installation instructions at the developer's site.

Most hosts these days offer an easy way to install some of these forums (fantastico, installatron etc), so you could try to go that route as well.

Forums use databases. Once your database is lost, virtually all your content and work are lost, so make sure you learn how to do a backup, and do it often. Don't keep the backups on the server, download them to a remote location. Your PC, a CD, some other server, are all valid options. Forums also need to be upgraded as new versions of the software come out, as these routinely take care of security vulnerabilities and add new features to the forum.

ALSO is this the same way I implement a blog?
    It is quite similar, yes.

According to Yahoo's hosting page they still use PHP and MySQL 4.

If I were you, I would find a new host with recent versions of PHP and MySQL. Preferably one that uses the cPanel control panel. Most hosts who use cPanel will have either Fantastico or Installatron, both give you the ability to install forums software in just a few clicks.

As Dynanix said - if they are on php4 and MySQL4 I would also second the suggestion of finding a host that is running version 5.2.X+ or 5.3.X+ of PHP and 5.X+ of MySQL
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Forums can be quite simple to set up. You don't need to have your forums in a different directory, but it helps as sometimes developers can name their files the same, it would then require you to modify the source code to rectify these clashes.

Normally for a website, you would set your forum/blog up in a sub directory (ie www.mywebsite.com/forums/) that keeps everything separated and easy to maintain.

Installatron is an excellent system if you find a host that runs it, it installs the latest stable releases of software, which is what you want, from past experience, Fantastico were very slow at keeping their repositories updated.

Echoing what Mike and Dynanix said, PHP 4 is really reaching it's end of life (I believe it's on extended security fixes at the moment?), so you are best to find a host that provides a more modern version of the software.

Dependant on what software you want to use, most come with an installation script which does most of the work for you. If you really want integration with your website, blogs and forums I would recommend Invision software, but it can be a bit pricey.

thanks for all yoru reposonses guys, it's tough when you are quite new and these therse terms are alien lol, to gain an understanding of it.

So does Yahoo's older version of PHP mean I CAN'T install or a forum, or it's just not ideal to install it there?

I can't change hosts as we just payed for everything lol, so I would have to abandon the forum idea if it can't work at all.

If it will still work, are there any recomendations on which free ad-less forum proivders will work?

thanks guys !

What version of PHP are Yahoo using? If it's 4 or later, in my opinion you should be OK, but you probably want something running 5 if possible.

If it is possible (Yahoo! Does support what you need), there will be plenty of tutorials on the web for you to get done what you need to do; alternatively people on here will be more than willing to help - have you much experience with this type of thing? It's good to see you're learning though

My advice is this: If you find a term you don't understand, don't skip it, read as much about that kind of thing as you can (before your brain explodes), and get at least a BASIC understanding of the technology you are using before you use it .. trust me, it helps

You'd be hard pushed to find any forum providers that don't push ad's - check out Free webhosting talk. Link is in the main forum somewhere I think?

So does Yahoo's older version of PHP mean I CAN'T install or a forum, or it's just not ideal to install it there?
    That's probably best answered by the developer of the forum software (check the minimum requirements), but even if there are no compatibility issues (which is probably the case), PHP4 is old, and further development of the forum software may cause issues at some point. The most important issue though would be that php4 has reached end of live (no development, no security updates), which means that the hosting environment may be vulnerable.

After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08.
    http://www.php.net/archive/2007.php

So basically PHP4 isn't even on the extended security stage, it's completely end of life'd.

There might be problems when you come to install some of the newer software as a lot of it will rely on things that only exist in PHP 5. But if you installed an older version, which would be less secure, you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Tingly View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I checked out a forum and I like it, but I dont know if Yahoo Hosting has what I need to install it, or how to install it really (even after reading the guide).. I'll keep loking into it.. gotta create an "Sql database" lol
    The forum that you liked, what forum software was it using? It should be advertised at the bottom/footer of the web site.
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Most of the forums use php and it is quite successful also.