Help picking out a hoster

Hi,

I need help picking out a top-notch web hosting company. By top-notch I mean that it doesn't cut corners. Security is a must, data backup, if possible unlimited space, or enough space to where it feels unlimited.

The big one is I need to be able to handle large traffic. This isn't all the time. Maybe 1 weekend every couple months but those three days are very high traffic.

Worst care scenario is about 30,000 users simultaneously for most of the day and then it calms down to 1k.

Any ideas as to who I can hook up with?

Thanks,

Marky

This is definitely a scenario that you need to discuss with any potential hosts before signing up, lest you find yourself suspended and/or fined for high bandwidth usage during those peak times. Maybe take a look at http://mediatemple.net

You would likely want a semi-dedicated, vps, or a dedicated for 30,000 simultaneous unique visitors and that's if your site is primarily static/cached - if it's dynamic I don't know that a standard dedicated server could keep up with that many simultaneous requests.

Now if you were talking about 30,000 over the period of a day a semi-dedicated or VPS would likely do what you needed.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by atdt View Post
    Hi,

I need help picking out a top-notch web hosting company. By top-notch I mean that it doesn't cut corners. Security is a must, data backup, if possible unlimited space, or enough space to where it feels unlimited.

The big one is I need to be able to handle large traffic. This isn't all the time. Maybe 1 weekend every couple months but those three days are very high traffic.

Worst care scenario is about 30,000 users simultaneously for most of the day and then it calms down to 1k.

Any ideas as to who I can hook up with?

Thanks,

Marky
    Marky, as you seem to know exact numbers; why not share a bit more real numbers like the diskspace and bandwidth usage you believe you get. Unlimited is only possible if you have an unlimited budget, maybe you can shed a bit of light on that as well.

Yes, we need some exact numbers, because unlimited hosts are usually not truly "unlimited". I've seen people shutdown for "too much CPU usage" when they decided to use some of their "unlimited" bandwidth.
    Charles W. @ Nexeon Technologies, Inc. - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    Dedicated servers, colocation, cloud, game servers, on-site & remote DDoS protection, and more! Managed options available.
    Data Centers in Chicago, New York, & more! IPv4 and IPv6 available! Contact us for data center buildout & network consultation.
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and Dallas.

what is the size of your mysql databases? , how many quaries are beeing made in avarage to it?
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

Right there's about 10 GB that needs to be moved over.. But it keeps growing at about 250-300MB / week as each week there are 3 (audio) podcasts that are released.

The bandwidth usage will very depending on what's going on that particular month. I wish we had hard numbers for the high load days but when we tried getting the data from those particular days the stats page said we used 0 bandwidth so that's pretty fail. Hense the need for better hosting.

There's also this one thing.. 90% of those worst-case-scenario 30k users are going to be glued to the front page because that's where the uStream applet is embedded and once they access the home page all other activity stops. They wont stray away from the homepage because if they do they lose the stream feed.

HOWEVER... there are times when the stream has a hiccup which will cause one MASSIVE refresh. That's probably the biggest spike the website will ever experience. The normal peak of the heavy load days comes gradually over the hours.

Well you definitely should go for a service different than Shared hosting. I don't think that shared account would work for you at all. A VPS with 512 Mb RAm or more would work fine.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

I don't think shared hosting is an option for you, especially since you are looking for a host who "doesn't cut corners". How much are you looking to spend for hosting?

I don't want to empty my wallet but I will pay a reasonable price for what's needed.

But I'm already starting to see that the easiest way to do this would be to get a dedicated server. Nothing monstrously powerful, just something out of the "bargain bin" should work I think? Which seems to make more sense the more I think of it.

Would that be over doing it?

I think a dedicated server is going to be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynanix View Post
    I think a dedicated server is going to be your best bet.
    Any ideas? Only dedicated server hosting that has a good reputation and prices that I've worked with is The planet.

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    Well you definitely should go for a service different than Shared hosting. I don't think that shared account would work for you at all. A VPS with 512 Mb RAm or more would work fine.
    Have to agree with HostColor. Any decent VPS with a minimum of 512mb of ram will suit you nicely.