Subdomain Not Resolving

I set up a subdomain on a site that has been up and running for months. For some reason the subdomain is not propagated globally. I contacted support and they said that everything is fine, but not only can I not access the subdomain, I asked a couple of friends to check out the site and its not working for them either. I used a few proxies and it works there. But I have no idea why its taking so long to propagate. Its been almost 24 hours now. I have never had this problem with any other host except for this one.

I've had this problem in the past on two separate occasions. The first it just took several hours before it finally was working.

If you just recently set it up, I'd wait a little bit before assuming it's just not working.

If it's already been quite sometime, maybe delete the subdomain and re-create it.

Hopefully this helps, good luck

Recreating subdomain will not help here. Check form your end is if is dns caching. Run from the following command from your local machine and see it this gives result.
    Code:
    dig @server_IP sub.domain.com
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Edit: duplicate post..
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Thanks But ...

Thanks for everyone's input. As I said before it's not just me who can't access the site, a couple of friends couldn't either. Now since I posted I was able to access the subdomain. However, I made a small change to the static landing page residing on the subdomain, and BOOM! its not responding again. This is very frustrating and tech support doesn't seem to have an answer except to wait. The funny thing is I remember something similar happening before (subdomain not working after a change to the index.html) and they fixed it.

Another possibility is that the host is using multi-location redundant DNS (which is good) but their slave nameserver(s) haven't updated (not so good). So the subdomain may resolve or not at random, depending on which nameserver your ISP happens to use.

To check, find the nameservers your host gave you (probably in the welcome email) and test them individually using the dig command David gave earlier or nslookup:
    Code:
    nslookup yourdomain nameserver
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Ok this is what I get...
    ns1.v*****l****.com can't find subdomain.mydomain.com Non-existent domain

However, it resolves for ns2.v*****l****.com

So forgive me for my ignorance on this subject but does that confirm what your say the problem may be?

It does confirm the problem - try contacting your host with this information. It may be that they only synchronize their nameservers at fixed times, in which case it could still be just a matter of waiting, but it's also possible that ns1 is stuck, never updating, and they need to fix it.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Angry Wow they just don't get it...

I have been trying to tell them that its not just me for 2 days now. this is the response I got when I told them that the ns1 isn't resolving properly.

Please note that both the nameservers ns1.*****.com and ns2.*****.com are resolving properly without any issues. Please verify the snippet pasted below:

---------------------------
    --- ns1.*****.com ping statistics ---
    2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 999ms

--- ns2.*****.com ping statistics ---
    2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
    ---------------------------

Please note that I have added the CNAME for the sub-domain so that the site can be reached both with and without "www"

Did you copy - paste your nslookup results exactly in the ticket? It looks like the tech understood you to say "ns1 isn't resolving" where what you should be saying is something like "sub.mydomain.com doesn't resolve on ns1".

Is this a big company? It can be a struggle sometimes getting past level 1 support to someone who has a clue...
    Chris

They finally got it resolved. I just hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks for all of your help.