Took the plunge! - Fantastico to Installatron

Has anyone noticed that for the past 24 hours clicking on Fantastico within cPanel servers is incredibly slow?

All of our servers which have Fantastico installed, when accessing Fantastico, it's been running slow, almost like the licensing servers are not responding or delaying responses. No idea what is actually causing it but we're really tired of it..

We have had so many issues with Fantastico in the past on FreeBSD. The install never works correctly, we always end up rebuilding PHP and adding symbolic links, etc. The updates are so slow when getting updates to the applications and the support response times have been horrid.

We've had some owned licenses through Installatron and we've used it in the past on some servers. We've always been incredibly pleased with simplified gui, the fast updates, simple integration, and ease of installation on FreeBSD/cPanel.

Today we bought another 78 licenses to replace our leased Fantastico licenses and we're not looking back. The shared/VPS customers that were previously using Fantastico have been giving us rave reviews since the switch.

Anyone else considered making the change? It's well worth it...

Oh and just a side note.. We used the Fantastico --> Installatron conversion on all of the systems we replaced it on. Worked flawlessly, within minutes we had Fantastico removed and Installatron immediately popped into RVSkins and worked like a charm. No tweaking, manual link additions, theme changes, rebuilding anything... Just works. So nice to have that
    Last edited by FiberPeer; 10-07-2009 at 02:32 AM.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Yes Installatron is definitely a great installer. We have dropped Fantastico in favour of Installatron quite some time ago and never looked back.

By the way, as far as I understand the licensing server of Fantastico is/was overloaded and this caused many issues for the software. We were also having problem installing Fantastico for our clients' dedicated servers due to this.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

No tweaking, manual link additions, theme changes, rebuilding anything... Just works.
    Now that's how things are supposed to be. Interesting nevertheless to see the imperfect solutions consistently surpassing their competition in terms of market share though. Makes one wonder about the rationality of economic agents.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Now that's how things are supposed to be. Interesting nevertheless to see the imperfect solutions consistently surpassing their competition in terms of market share though. Makes one wonder about the rationality of economic agents.
    Only reason they might be surpassing is because the brand which is quite strong, and their deals with many datacenters who offer it for free on any cpanel server. I wonder if installatron did or is going to give good deals to datacenters to get more known as well.

Anyways we have replaced Fantastico with Installatron as well; on some servers they are still available as the DC give it for free; and we then leave the choice up to the customer what they like to use.

I've recently started playing with Installatron as well after years of using Fantastico. Installatron seems better in every way. It's even more simple to set-up things than Fantastico, the look is a little easier to follow, and I like how it has some management for the scripts after it installs them.

The only thing I don't really care for with Installatron is how it adds "Installed with Installatron." in the copyright. Not a big deal, but I prefer a cleaner look.

Hope you enjoy Installatron, and nice to see it's becoming a little more mainstream lately

Installatron is great! It is a lot easier to setup and manage, the scripts are updated frequently, and many of our customers love it. We are currently using both Fantastico and Installatron on our shared and reseller hosting servers because some of our customers still prefer Fantastico. Most are now using Installatron though and the feedback is nothing but positive.
    Rock Solid Shared, Reseller and VPS Solutions
    Cpanel/WHM, Fantastico de Luxe, Installatron, RVSkin, RVSiteBuilder, 24/7 Support
    FFMPEG, ImageMagick, PHP5, Ruby On Rails, Subversion, Trac, PDO, Zend
    DashingHost - Fast (dashing) Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by EternalHosting View Post
    I've recently started playing with Installatron as well after years of using Fantastico. Installatron seems better in every way. It's even more simple to set-up things than Fantastico, the look is a little easier to follow, and I like how it has some management for the scripts after it installs them.

The only thing I don't really care for with Installatron is how it adds "Installed with Installatron." in the copyright. Not a big deal, but I prefer a cleaner look.

Hope you enjoy Installatron, and nice to see it's becoming a little more mainstream lately
    Just a note that the "Installed with Installatron" quote can be turned off in the preferences/settings in the admin panel for Installatron. That is configurable It's great.
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com

Installatron +

I wouldnt mind running it side by side. Most customers know and look for Fantastico though as a service.