Question How much do you reckon a custom billing system would cost?

Hello There

I'm just wondering here but how much do you think it would cost to get your own client billing system made? Like WHMCS but completely accustom to your own company? I've literally just thought about it and thought I would ask you guys as it's an interesting subject

Please reply with what you think and rough cost ect

Cheers Guys!

- Many Thanks,

Thousands, at least. Is there something about your company that is not served by off-the-shelf solutions?

For something of decent quality.. I'd estimate $5,000.

I'm sure you can get something crappy for $1,000 or something over the top for $10,000+.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

well.. I think should be a few thousands for the license... especially when you want customization

angel ivy,
    What license? We're talking about a custom billing system.

I'm curious why WHMCS wouldn't meet your needs if that's what you're looking for. You can make it pretty much unrecognizable. Why reinvent the wheel?

Not cheap at all and will take significant resources and time to develop.

I agree with the above poster... why reinvent the wheel? Just customize something already available.

Quote Originally Posted by angel_ivy View Post
    well.. I think should be a few thousands for the license... especially when you want customization
    Custom = No license because you own it

Not having a licensed platform customized, but rather a complete system from the ground up. From scratch, something from nothing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiveon View Post
    For something of decent quality.. I'd estimate $5,000.

I'm sure you can get something crappy for $1,000 or something over the top for $10,000+.
    sounds about right.

You could save time by downloading phpcoin and customizing that.
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

Well there are a lot of open soruce solutions readily available that you can hire a developer to customize for you. Why re-invent the wheel when you only need to change a single part of it?

I mean rather than bending over backwards for things like PCI compliance and security why not take something secure, with a track records, compliant and spend the money you would have otherise spent making something from scratch to cusomize that one to suit your needs?

I dunnp if you are really deadset on a completely custom solution you can do that but I think the above is an alternative that should be kept in mind as well.
    Ariolander - Amateur Web Developer
    Anime, Manga,
    And Web Design A Haiku
    Of My Pastimes

mean rather than bending over backwards for things like PCI compliance and security why not take something secure, with a track records, compliant and spend the money you would have otherise spent making something from scratch to cusomize that one to suit your needs?
    Yes I agree... As you said there are thousands of developers around the world who can make things work the way you want it on existing systems.

It would cost a lot of money, Also might cost some time. Are you looking into making or buying one?

The cost of such a project depends entirely on the scope/features you want and the quality (and location) of the developers you hire.

For example, a billing system with all the exact same features of WHMCS would probably cost about $10k to $20k if you were to go to a standard PHP development shop in the US, point to WHMCS and say, "I want one just like that".

You could probably cut that cost in half if you hired developers from China/India/Russia.

And you could cut the cost even more if you did the detailed design documents yourself and merely outsourced only the programming/implementation.

So that being said, by the fact you are even asking such a question at all, indicates you have zero real development experience yourself... so I would say it will cost you about $20k USD to hire a decent PHP software development company, point them to WHMCS (or whatever systme you like) and say, "Give me one that works just like that".

Good luck!
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

You guys are over pricing...

Just look for some website in India they will make you a system for $500.

I know this because some guy wanted one for his site and he posted it on getafreelancer.com
    And he got it with Paypal linked but it wasn't for a web-host plus he also got full rights!!!

Quote Originally Posted by strider96 View Post
    You guys are over pricing...

Just look for some website in India they will make you a system for $500.

I know this because some guy wanted one for his site and he posted it on getafreelancer.com
    And he got it with Paypal linked but it wasn't for a web-host plus he also got full rights!!!
    Get a custom WHMCS-like billing system for $500? Dream on! Even in India, it must cost thousands!
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    Get a custom WHMCS-like billing system for $500? Dream on! Even in India, it must cost thousands!
    Have to agree with LaptopFreak, you'll be looking at around 650-2k for a decent custom billing system.

But ... I'm sure there are people out there who would do it cheaper and do a good job.
    EntireTech Hosting
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Stream Hosting | Virtual Servers

Follow us on Twitter!

Depends on the country too..
    In Japan, I would charge somewhere between 10K~25K US$, depends on the amount of customization.
    Closed for winter...

Quote Originally Posted by entiretech View Post
    Have to agree with LaptopFreak, you'll be looking at around 650-2k for a decent custom billing system.

But ... I'm sure there are people out there who would do it cheaper and do a good job.
    You may be able to get 5-8 times cheaper in India, but WHMCS is very feature-rich, hence it will still be pretty expensive.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    You may be able to get 5-8 times cheaper in India, but WHMCS is very feature-rich, hence it will still be pretty expensive.
    I agree but you will get most of the stuff...

You would get and custom order forum
    Network Status
    Downloads Section
    Back-end
    Custom Plan creator

The thing is you won't get a copy of WHMCS but you will get a whatever you need.

custom payment system

I dont know if this helps, but I am selling a payment processing website script. Its more like paypal than the site you mentioned.

Also not sure if you would get this message as it shows you are temporarily suspended.

If you do get this message, send me a message if you are interested.

(Note to admin, out of curiousity why did this guy get temporarily suspended, I'm new and curious about the rules, hope you're not strict)

Well, we are working on similar system right now, and it will cost us tens of thousands of dollars. Not very cheap
    Hosting24.com Web Hosting - First class web hosting services.
    Boxbilling - Complete billing, invoicing and client management system.