Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it bad if my domain and hosting are from the same company?

I've read articles that said it's generally bad to use the domain registrar as the hosting company(forgot the reason though)Right now I have some domains in Goddady and 1and1, and have a Hostgator account. I am thinking about just using Goddady's hosting service so I only need to manage my Goddady and 1and1 accounts instead of managing 3 accounts. Any thoughts? Thanks

P.S. I am going to use Wordpress.org to build the sites

Personally i think you should have all your domains with one company and your hosting with another. My Domains are with Namecheap (24 in total) and my servers are all with one company (I also have VPS's that are in different places) but to be honest with you its not that bad having my VPS's in different places as i have all the logins ect all organised so its not a problem

- Many Thanks,

Yes, it's generally recommanded that you choose different companies for your domain and hosting.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

The main concern is that some unethical companies will lock the domain and try to force you to remain with their hosting service even if you want to move.

I can understand why some companies do this though, as we had a few clients try to leave without paying their overdue bills. I have heard stories of 1&1 doing this. A thread search may be in order.

It all depends on the company. If it is a smaller firm, I would be more careful than with a well-known company like GoDaddy.
    Cpanel/WHM • PHP • Perl • Ruby • Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

Quote Originally Posted by Bihira View Post
    Yes, it's generally recommanded that you choose different companies for your domain and hosting.
    Indeed
    I prefer to have my domains with namecheap anyway as there all organised there and if i close an account there is no trouble changing name servers over on the namecheap site

Hello,
    There is no shame in having your domain with your provider, however it is only a good idea if your provider is reputable and has been around a while.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

Quote Originally Posted by larwilliams View Post
    The main concern is that some unethical companies will lock the domain and try to force you to remain with their hosting service even if you want to move.

I can understand why some companies do this though, as we had a few clients try to leave without paying their overdue bills. I have heard stories of 1&1 doing this. A thread search may be in order.

It all depends on the company. If it is a smaller firm, I would be more careful than with a well-known company like GoDaddy.
    This is very true. You try going to Veeblox.com (My original domain) I cannot retrieve this as it was locked with my old hosting account and i was not able to get it back, Unfortunate really as i have 8 other TLD's under the name veeblox so ive lost alot of money through that. Anyway It doesnt really matter I have learnt from my mistake and now have ALL of my domains on Namecheap

- Many Thanks,

It would also be nice to hear from the OP as were helping him

- Many Thanks,

There is nothing wrong with it let alone bad however many would not suggest it.

It is advisable to seperate your domains and hosting.

As long as you still have full control over your domain, then I don't see why not. But, if you have to email your provider to change something as simple as your nameservers or whois contact email, then I would try to break away from that provider, right away.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Quote Originally Posted by mchen View Post
    I've read articles that said it's generally bad to use the domain registrar as the hosting company(forgot the reason though)
    That's because the people that told you that probably didn't give you a reason.

Mosts hosts are not also registrars. There are some unscrupulous hosts out there that when registering a domain for you with their partner registrar will do so under their name instead of yours. Lots of free hosts do that. Stay away from that

On the other hand, as you have indicated, there are some hosts that are also registrars. That is perfectly safe. Registering your name and hosting with them is not different than registering with them and hosting elsewhere as far as your domain name is considered. Doing both at the host/registrar will provide you the convenience of a single vendor and mangement interface

There's another very simple reason to use two different companies: If your hosting company goes belly-up, gets bought out, has a major disaster, etc, the last thing you want is to lose control of all of your domains as well!! (Or vice-versa).

It's the "don't keep all your eggs in one basket" mantra. If the companies are unrelated, hopefully in a worst-case scenario, you'll "only" have to deal with the sites *or* the domains at once, not both.

I get around this my having a domain reseller account with NetEarthOne and having a customer account under that which I use to buy my domains with total control over them. Thus it makes no difference where I host. Once I found the Easter Egg with NE1 and jumped a tier I ended up with some great prices as well so it's a neat solution. Min topup is only $10 btw. You can also put a reseller lock on your domains so that they are more secure.

If you get a domain with your provider, I'd recommend one that sets you up with an external control panel. For example, WHMCS users can get a domain reseller account through Resellerclub. There's two ways to set up the plugin, one where they manage the domain only through the hosts WHMCS. So if they go out of business you are stuck. Or two, where you can manage it through the hosts control panel OR directly through Resellerclub. I would personally check for the second option. That way, if the host does go down, you still own your domain, and you still have access to it to maintain regardless of what the host does.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Quote Originally Posted by mchen View Post
    I've read articles that said it's generally bad to use the domain registrar as the hosting company(forgot the reason though)Right now I have some domains in Goddady and 1and1, and have a Hostgator account. I am thinking about just using Goddady's hosting service so I only need to manage my Goddady and 1and1 accounts instead of managing 3 accounts. Any thoughts? Thanks

P.S. I am going to use Wordpress.org to build the sites

No, it isn't bad if you chose a reputable company. Many people recommend it here because they are hosting companies themselves (and not a registar), or they've gone with an unreputable company where it has caused them problems.

Speaking on behalf of a registrar that launched it's hosting a couple of years back, we run it just as we run a separate hosting company with a separate hosting support team, customer service, etc.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

it's not bad if the company is offering a good support.

Best to have all from the same provider.

Why?

- They would renew your domain name to keep your web services active and most of the time free of charge.

- They can change your DNS details whenever you need them without a need to contact the 3rd party.

You just need to make sure your domain name admin email address and the registrant name is yours. It is a breach of agreement with ICANN to hold domains ransom and reputable ICANN registrars would not do it.

Just be aware there are so many domain name resellers. You can simply check the list if they are registrar or resellers at

http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accredited-list.html
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

better be different, so you are not stuck to single body

Separate your domain and your hosting plan would be recommended.That will less your problems in the future when they comes.
    HostEase Hosting - Professional Web Hosting
    SoftLayer Datacenter and 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    24/7/365 Technical Support
    Support Center|Call us at (302)-353-4678.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_pu View Post
    Separate your domain and your hosting plan would be recommended.That will less your problems in the future when they comes.

You should justify this. What problems?

Sometimes when you are in-need of changing host you cannot withdraw your domain right away as they have sometimes a fee for it to be transferred. Sometimes, domain are for free on some web hosting companies that somehow save for about $10 a year.
    ® iRock Web Hosting Solutions - Your Onshore/Offshore Hosting Solutions
    ® Sales/Technical Support: https://www.irockwebhosting.com/support/
    ® Website URL: http://www.irockwebhosting.com

Just be aware there are so many domain name resellers. You can simply check the list if they are registrar or resellers at
    Not that being ICANN accredited is much of a protection for the customer in itself. We know the Registerfly story.

It is not bad but it is not recommended. They are two different types of businesses and you do not want to lose your domain if the hosting company goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Not that being ICANN accredited is much of a protection for the customer in itself. We know the Registerfly story.
    I agree on that, but the chances are still lower for a reseller vs registrar situation.

Also ICANN handles bulk transfers if a registrar goes down, whereas, if you use a reseller you first need to figure out the registrar and contact registrar.

Registrar may not help you as fast as it would if you were their direct customer.
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

Yea, I keep my domains on GoDaddy, and my hosting, is well my own. But before I was with zFasts and I made a mistake to register a domain with them, now everytime I want to change nameservers I have a tough time trying to get in contact with them as their company shut down.

So in conclusion I suggest you keep your domains on a company that is less likely to shutdown anytime soon, such as GoDaddy.

When I first started developing websites I made the mistake of buying web hosting and taking the free domain which was included in the package. The reason why I say “mistake” is because two weeks hosted with that company I had many problems with their service, when I requested my money back as they had a 30 day money back guarantee, they returned my money but didn’t give me access to the domain name. Now someone else has my domain and the company just rejected my messages in which left me helpless.

As of then, I keep all my domains with GoDaddy and hosting with another company. I learned my lesson.

Also ICANN handles bulk transfers if a registrar goes down, whereas, if you use a reseller you first need to figure out the registrar and contact registrar.
    Finding the upstream provider is usually easy enough though. Granted, not all resellers are worth the money and the trust, but some are actually quite good at what they do.

Thanks for the reply everyone! So in my specific case, I already have my domains in Godaddy, if I also want to host with Godaddy, will there be any concern based on your experience? Thanks again!

If you have a typical site suitable for shared hosting and you aren't doing anything crazy you should be fine

People that sell both will generally recommend keeping them together. People that only make money on one probably won't. Big surprise.

Common sense: If the registrar screws you, it doesn't even matter who the host is, so it's not worth worrying about. If you wouldn't trust someone with both, don't trust them with either.

Just stick with REAL BUSINESSES that have been around MANY years, instead of being a guinea pig for every knucklehead that slaps up a site, calls their reseller account a data center, makes up a fake business name, then registers at WHT & blends right in with the rest of the sig-spammers. That alone eliminates A LOT of WHT'ers, so choose wisely.

So in my specific case, I already have my domains in Godaddy, if I also want to host with Godaddy, will there be any concern based on your experience? Thanks again!
    In theory I would not be worried, at least not of a total meltdown. You're definitely safer with GD than with a one man host, as Godaddy is way less likely to just disappear. In practice, Godaddy's hosting is... less than perfect (to put it nicely), so I'd keep looking.

I agree with the other users. People have different opinions regarding their personal experiences with both registrars and hosting companies. Bottom line: Always stick with the company that is well-established and that won't vanish into a thin air without your knowledge.

"Is it bad if my domain and hosting are from the same company?"

>> YES

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    "Is it bad if my domain and hosting are from the same company?"

>> YES

- Daniel
    Care to elaborate?

I guess he means don't do both at tmzhosting?

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    I guess he means don't do both at tmzhosting?
    Probably, since he has a domain registration link on his site that goes to proxy hosting if you click it. Not that it's any worse than the web design link that goes to the VPS page.

So, I'd agree with him that if a host is too stupid to know the difference between proxy hosting and domain registration, or how to link to the right pages on their site, then ">> YES" it's probably a bad idea to register a domain through them... or even host with them for that matter.

Yes it is a bad idea to register a domain with your hosting company or the other way around.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Yes it is a bad idea to register a domain with your hosting company or the other way around.
    Unless the host is also a registrar, you cannot register a domain with them. The host would have to register the name for you, and hopefully in your name, with their partner registrar. Hosting 101.

Yes.It it is the best way to separate your domain and hosting from different providers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast