Is DVI worth the upgrade?

Hi,

I just got a new LCD monitor today and it has support for VDI. However, my graphiccard does not. I've heard that DVI makes the picture a lot better and I wanted to see if any of you guys have personal experience and if it's a good idea for me to invest in a new graphiccard with DVI?

Thank you.
    Last edited by (SH)Saeed; 11-17-2002 at 11:18 PM.
    (SH)Saeed

Yes if you have the money, its well worth the upgrade.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

I'm thinking about getting either a Matrox G550 or a Geforce4 Titanium. The reason I'm thinking about G550 is because Matrox has the best 2D graphics (and only costs like $100) and I work 90% of the time and play games 10% (if even that). Anyone here got either of these cards?
    (SH)Saeed

Used ot have a g4ti4600. Get the radeon 9700 trust me its well worth it
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

I'm sure it is, but I've just spent a lot of money on this new LCD monitor, a Logitech MX-700 mouse, a Chieftec Fulltower box, and also ordered a laser printer so I rather not spend another $400 on an awesone 3D graphic card when I don't play games that much.
    (SH)Saeed

with DVI, your signal from the gfx card does not need to be converted to analogue and then back to digital again. Hence signal quality is not degraded by any conversion process. Digital all the way through!

Yes if you have the money, its well worth the upgrade.
    I agree.

I will get a card with DVI. The question is which card? I want to spend as little money as possible yet get value for my money which is why I'm considering Matrox G550. Any thoughts?
    (SH)Saeed

If you don't get the Ati 9700, at least get the 8500. I have the AIW 8500DV and it's totally awesome.

It's not only a lower signal degregation for DVI, but DVI supports higher resolutions I believe. Since you have an LCD that's only 17" that might not matter but later on it might.
    Get your web design questions answered: Web Design Forums at http://www.turtletips.com/forums/ ; vBulletin Board of the Month.

I've got a Viewsonic VX-900 (19" LCD) hooked up to a Geforce 4 TI4400 at home. The DVI connection is a nice improvement over the analog. The biggest difference that I've noticed is that you can set the refresh rate to something other than 60hz. Personally, I've been very happy with my video card. It's not the top of the line ATI or NVidia, but it does pretty much everything I ask.
    Chris Spangler
    [email protected]

I can go as high as 72Hz (I use 70Hz) on the current analog cable/port with my GeForce2 graphiccard so does that mean I can go even higher (maybe 85Hz) with a G550 DVI?
    (SH)Saeed

I dunno. On mine, I'm limited to 60hz via the analog cable. Of course, I suppose it could be the 8mb Millenium G200 that's plugged into it. I must say though that I don't notice the lower refresh rate on the LCD quite like I do on the CRT monitors.
    Chris Spangler
    [email protected]

Originally posted by (SH)Saeed
    I will get a card with DVI. The question is which card? I want to spend as little money as possible yet get value for my money which is why I'm considering Matrox G550. Any thoughts?
    I personally hate matrox I think they have alot of
    "issues"
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Get an ATI Radeon 9000; great card for the money.