Thread: Redundant DNS

Redundant DNS

Hi!

I just have a simple question. I have been working on and designing a hosting company. Now setting up my names servers has came to a question. When I ran a previous business with a partner he only use Name Servers on 1 Machine in 1 location.

Now my question is my first server is going to be located in New Jersey, USA . So that is where My first set of DNS starts. With my previous partner I noticed most of the customers were based in Europe, Philippines, etc. Over seas. Now What I am asking is Will a VPS in a different location work for DNS Server. That way I can keep a lower budget till we get a few customers under out belt.
    Inode Hosting - Reliable Web Hosting for the right price.
    Shared & Reseller hosting featuring the industry leading cpanel
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee ,30 Day Money Back Guarantee ,24/7 Support
    Established since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jcarney1987 View Post
    Now What I am asking is Will a VPS in a different location work for DNS Server.
    Yes. Even a small VPS will be fine for DNS only.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Hi!

I just have a simple question. I have been working on and designing a hosting company. Now setting up my names servers has came to a question. When I ran a previous business with a partner he only use Name Servers on 1 Machine in 1 location.

Now my question is my first server is going to be located in New Jersey, USA . So that is where My first set of DNS starts. With my previous partner I noticed most of the customers were based in Europe, Philippines, etc. Over seas. Now What I am asking is Will a VPS in a different location work for DNS Server. That way I can keep a lower budget till we get a few customers under out belt.
    Good for you!

There are far too many hosts trying to fake it by putting ns1 and ns2, not only on the same subnet, but on the same server -- and even worse on the same server as their web, email and database servers.

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Yes. Even a small VPS will be fine for DNS only.
    Like foobic said, a small VPS would work great for this. I know of a few companies who are using a small cluster of VPS's (2 or more) for this purpose.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

That is actually a good solution. Yes having both name servers down at at the same time would be a nightmare since all your client domains will be down at the same time.

Having a VPS for the secondary DNS on a different location would is a good solution.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

Thanks for the reply everyone. I figured a small vps would be able to handle it. I just want the company I launch to be done right unlike all those other host with 1 box and 2 Name servers on 1 box. Plus if your name servers are setup as redundant DNS then your customers far off from the server gets better response times.

Thanks for replying
    Established since 2011

Thanks for the reply everyone. I figured a small vps would be able to handle it. I just want the company I launch to be done right unlike all those other host with 1 box and 2 Name servers on 1 box. Plus if your name servers are setup as redundant DNS then your customers far off from the server gets better response times.

Thanks for replying
    I like your approach and I assume that is something what will makes all your customers more loyal to you
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Thats the plan. There are many host out there. But between the company I launch and the other companies out there. I must make something that is better in the end. All though the big companies do it already.
    Established since 2011

Another thumbs up for the OP.

Finally, someone who understands that there is a reason for having at least one other dns server besides chewing up space on the same machine!

You can also get together with one or more of your trusted associates and arrange to slave each other's zones.

Remote mail servers will retry sending mail so long as the DNS servers of a domain is up (even if the mail server is down). That's one big advantage of having redundantly hosted DNS; otherwise if all your DNS servers are down and the mail server is down (e.g. if all services hosted on the same physical machine) then mail will not even be attempted to be delivered but bounced back to the sender.
    Darren Lingham - UK Webhosting Ltd. - (0800) 024 2931
    Tsohost.co.uk - Quality UK Windows and Linux hosting since 2003
    UK WordPress Hosting - Fast, easy, cloud based WordPress Hosting