hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Programming Discussion : setting up crontab flush query cache?

Forum Jump

setting up crontab flush query cache?

Reply Post New Thread In Programming Discussion Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

setting up crontab flush query cache?

can someone assist me with setting up a crontab that will "flush query cache" for all databases... i know its something like mysql -u root -pyour_root_password -e "flush query cache"; but i want it to cover all databases on the server.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Web Hosting Master

I believe you only have the one query cache for all databases...I don't see anything to the contrary here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/flush.html

Unless you have multiple instances of mysqld running on different ports/sockets...then you would just have to maintain a list of them and cycle through it, sending the command to each instance.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattle View Post
I believe you only have the one query cache for all databases...I don't see anything to the contrary here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/flush.html

Unless you have multiple instances of mysqld running on different ports/sockets...then you would just have to maintain a list of them and cycle through it, sending the command to each instance.
i just have one mysqld, how would the crontab line look to flush the query?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Web Hosting Master

Check this out for cron syntax. It all depends on how often/when you want the flush to run:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

As far as the command line goes, the only difference between what you can type at the command line and what cron will execute is that cron's PATH variable won't be as robust as yours. You can either set the PATH at the top of your crontab, or make sure you give full paths to your commands:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -uroot ...

If you don't know how to find the path to your mysql client, use this command:

which mysql

To edit your crontab, use this command:

crontab -e

To view your crontab, use this:

crontab -l

(man crontab for more)

Your crontab will come up in the default editor (usually vi), but you can change your EDITOR env var if you prefer to work in something else:

$ export EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano
$ crontab -e

Hope that helps,
Matt

Old 10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattle View Post
Check this out for cron syntax. It all depends on how often/when you want the flush to run:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

As far as the command line goes, the only difference between what you can type at the command line and what cron will execute is that cron's PATH variable won't be as robust as yours. You can either set the PATH at the top of your crontab, or make sure you give full paths to your commands:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -uroot ...

If you don't know how to find the path to your mysql client, use this command:

which mysql

To edit your crontab, use this command:

crontab -e

To view your crontab, use this:

crontab -l

(man crontab for more)

Your crontab will come up in the default editor (usually vi), but you can change your EDITOR env var if you prefer to work in something else:

$ export EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano
$ crontab -e

Hope that helps,
Matt
thanks, another question though since this is a root/system crontab i'm editting do I need to insert the mysql root password?

Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

Do you need to give mysql the root password when you run the client as root from the command line? With the exception to giving the full path to the executable, your command line should be the same.

If you want to verify the output, use this:

/path/to/mysql [options] 2>&1 | /path/to/mail -s "mysql cron output" your_email@abc.com

You're doing two things here:

2>&1 -- redirect STDERR to STDOUT (ie, merge error messages into the normal output stream)
| mail ... -- take the entire output stream (normal messages + error messages) and email them to yourself

Alternatively, you can make sure that cron is sending email upon job completion and make sure that you're either checking your root mailbox, or aliasing the root address to your preferred email address.

Last edited by mattle; 10-07-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

thanks for all the help

Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

Don't ever put passwords into command lines - it's just bad practice. For MySQL you can create a .my.cnf file in the user's (or root's) home dir containing this, and you'll be able to log in automatically:
Code:
[client]
user = username
password = secret
(you can also add "host" if the database isn't on localhost)

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter