Thread: Dedicated

Dedicated

Looking for a dedicated setup.

Looks like I can get a good deal on a MediaTemple Rage (dv) setup for $80/month. 40GB storage, 1GB Ram, 1.5TB data, CPU unknown.

Any other considerations?

I guess my ceiling $100 but of course, lower is better.

Wholesale Internet has some good offerings in the lower price ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    Looking for a dedicated setup.

Looks like I can get a good deal on a MediaTemple Rage (dv) setup for $80/month. 40GB storage, 1GB Ram, 1.5TB data, CPU unknown.

Any other considerations?

I guess my ceiling $100 but of course, lower is better.

what are you planing to host on such low end machine?
    just make sure you don't end up with an under-powered server.
    for that budget, you will be able to get a high end VPS server, but it depends on the application you are planing to host on your server, also , Linux or Windows ?

I would say it is really important you figure out what the CPU is. For all you know it could be on a processor that is so old and slow, you don't have the capability of transmitting 1.5tbs of data in a month. If my math is right, 1.5tb of data transfer a month boils down to a little under 5mbits/sec. Do you think an old P2 could handle roughly 3 T1s worth of traffic? I have SO seen Pentium2 servers in dumpsters recently, so there have to be some still in use. Just be careful, it could be a great deal assuming the CPU isn't a dinosaur.

Also, if I messed up that math terribly I apologize. It's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by beastserv View Post
    what are you planing to host on such low end machine?
    just make sure you don't end up with an under-powered server.
    for that budget, you will be able to get a high end VPS server, but it depends on the application you are planing to host on your server, also , Linux or Windows ?
    Will be using nginx/fpm/php5 to power 4 sites. 3 of which are _low_ traffic. Running Linux (flexible between ubuntu and CentOS, pref is ubuntu).

Looks like this dedicated is a dedicated-virtual.

From Mediatemple.net:
    "Our (dv) Dedicated-Virtual Servers are powered by Hewlett-Packard Proliant DL-Series machines featuring multi-core Intel Xeon processors and high-performance SCSI/SAS disk drives in a RAID-5 configuration."

It says right on the page . You should be fine with a 1GB RAM VPS, though I don't know how crammed the MediaTemple DV nodes are, as the grid servers used to be quite problematic in the past, though that's a different service.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by astarnes View Post
    . Do you think an old P2 could handle roughly 3 T1s worth of traffic?
    Yes a P2 certainly can handle that traffic, and much more.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Will be using nginx/fpm/php5 to power 4 sites. 3 of which are _low_ traffic. Running Linux (flexible between ubuntu and CentOS, pref is ubuntu).
    I suggest looking for a VPS server if that is the case :-)
    probe around the offers sections , contact hosts ask for quotes - some research will get you started.

does the location of the server matters? If europe is ok, check out kimsufi: their basic server is really cheap.

Sifting through some of the dedicated offers, I found a couple good offers. This one caught my eye, still evaluating the specs and other offers though.

2AM Network:
    Q9300 (4x2.50GHz) - 8GB RAM - 1TB SATA HDD - 4TB Bandwidth - 5IPs - Free Setup ----- $88.00 /Month

What do you guys think?

Sifting through some of the dedicated offers, I found a couple good offers. This one caught my eye, still evaluating the specs and other offers though.

2AM Network:
    Q9300 (4x2.50GHz) - 8GB RAM - 1TB SATA HDD - 4TB Bandwidth - 5IPs - Free Setup ----- $88.00 /Month

What do you guys think?
    This is definately a good offer. As it includes 4TB Bandwidth as well....

2AM Network:

What do you guys think?
    I've seen the same deal for less.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

Quote Originally Posted by neXeon View Post
    Do tell on where you have! :-D

Just wanted to update everyone that I've gone with neXeon's offer which was really good. He also helped me out with literally a dozen questions I had about the service he was offering.

So far so good, now I'm just waiting for the server. :-)

My second choice was 2AM but there are some issues over there... http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=895033

Thanks for the kind words!
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

Just wanted to update everyone that I've gone with neXeon's offer which was really good.
    How did you learn about his deal?
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

I believe my signature and WHT offers thread says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by neXeon View Post
    I think that says it all. Honestly.
    Advertising your own deals is not permitted according to forum rules. "i have seen the same deal for less" was not from a 3rd party, but from your own company. That is advertising.

Honest truth, to me it did not seem like he was advertising as I had to ask him to spill the beans.

Only after a PM was that I realized he was offering.

I guess the only recourse is to delete this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    I think that says it all. Honestly.
    Advertising your own deals is not permitted according to forum rules. "i have seen the same deal for less" was not from a 3rd party, but from your own company. That is advertising.

I think this is a wonderful community and value it very much, even though I'm new!

In all fairness if this thread violates the rules please delete this thread.

I do not want to piss anyone off.

Don't forget to do a review in a month or two!