Question Time Warner Cable review anyone ??

Hello i was trying to search for reviews on time warner cable and was not able to find any. I would like to hear from ppl using it like what is the quality of bandwidth and what is their pricing structure.

Thankyou
    IPStrada When uptime counts.
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

There may not be any yet. As for me I have Time Warner Cable but not TWCBC. If their residential service is anything similar, then I wouldn't have much positive to say. Are you talking about the business class?

No here i m talking about their bandwidth pulled into COLO for a BGP mix
    Warren Buffet: Honesty is very expensive gift do not expect it from cheap people.

That would be Time Warner Telecom then. They are decent, but very pricey... More than they are worth in my opinion.
    James Lumby

No i m talking about Time Warener Cable, my ip shows Road Runner ADSL Time warner cable details. I m feeling awkward about this as i m paying $49 for 20 megs at home and $35 per meg at colo.

OrgName: Road Runner HoldCo LLC
    OrgID: RCMS
    Address: 13241 Woodland Park Road
    City: Herndon
    StateProv: VA
    PostalCode: 20171

ReferralServer: rwhois://ipmt.rr.com:4321

NetName: RCMS
    NetHandle: NET-96-10-0-0-1
    Parent: NET-96-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Allocation
    NameServer: NS1.BIZ.RR.COM
    NameServer: NS2.BIZ.RR.COM
    NameServer: DNS4.RR.COM

Hrmm.. $35 per Meg is about standard for them being Time Warner Telecom. I haven't heard of Time Warner Cable being in a colo. Mind giving me the IP so I can trace route to it? I have Time Warner Telecom in my mix and am interested in the route it's going to take.
    James Lumby

I m constantly trying to trace and it goes back to www.RR.com which is time warner cable or Road runner. 96.11.188.193

Well, the traceroute does end at a road runner IP. But it uses Time Warner Telecom Bandwidth to get there. It is advertised by ASN 40715 which lists scherers.com as the owner of said ASN. That domain goes to datacenter.biz.

I'm seeing Time Warner Telecom, XO Communications, Road Runner Communications (Heavily Prepended).

I guess Road Runner does do BGP, although I've never heard of it before, maybe they only have a 5 Mb/s link and that's why it was so heavily prepended. Looks like their main links are Time Warner Telecom and XO. Don't know what else to say at this point. I don't see anything on road runner business' website saying they offer this type of service so it's somewhat suprising to me. It is suprising that the IP space is not Swipped to your provider though. Sorry I couldn't help, I would look for better prices and network in my personal opinion, but that's me. I have a tendency to stay away from XO when possible. Time Warner Telecom is good, but pricey, when I had them direct, I was paying $3500 + port fee for a 100 Mb/s link on a GigE. There is better providers for the money.

core1#traceroute 96.11.188.193

Type escape sequence to abort.
    Tracing the route to rrcs-96-11-188-193.central.biz.rr.com (96.11.188.193)

1 207.210.210.123 [AS 30496] 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec
    2 206.123.64.22 [AS 30496] 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec
    3 64-129-174-181.static.twtelecom.net (64.129.174.181) [AS 4323] 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec
    4 66-192-41-22.static.twtelecom.net (66.192.41.22) [AS 4323] 40 msec 48 msec 44 msec
    5 66-192-41-22.static.twtelecom.net (66.192.41.22) [AS 4323] 44 msec 44 msec 48 msec
    6 rrcs-96-11-188-193.central.biz.rr.com (96.11.188.193) [AS 40715] 44 msec * 44 msec
    James Lumby

We have time warner cable fiber in several sites around the country. These are all single tennant buildings, so time warner cable fiber was a good fit. Here are some IP's you can test with.

97.77.67.133 San antonio

74.218.166.141 Charlotte

74.219.153.217 Columbus

We have some pretty low commits and they role the construction cost in mostly, so i am not sure how their cost would scale in a data center. They have their own backbone and peering arrangements with several other ISP's, so it should give you pretty good reach and would be good for a bgp mix. I dont think its worth $35/mb though if thats what it would cost you.
    Last edited by cooldude919; 10-06-2009 at 12:11 PM.

There service is good I have them and HBO, and Showtime.

Sometimes it gets laggy when it is raining out side.

just remembered i sent you contact info for our sales guy in the columbus are a while back. We have been happy with our 4 sites there.

It depends on the market you're in. We used TWC (We used TWTC too but I know the difference) in Kansas City. Started out great. Best provider we ever had. Then about a year and a half into the contract they hired some new guy that had some new ideas and everything went down the toilet. We finally canceled the contract for non performance since they couldn't stay up.

I would not go back, nor recommend them in this market. The networks in each market are seperate though so your mileage may vary.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

TWC (as cooldude919 said not TWTC) is one big YMMV depending on the market it seems. They tend to use Level3 plus their own BGP/peering mix in most places (ADELPHIA-AS FWIW). The backbone network is fine, though not as extensive as Comcast's as far as I can tell.

That said, serious DCs at this point only use the as a quick path to TWC customers, sort of like Comcast is at this point at least for some providers. SoftLayer is the big player who does this (10 Gbit TWC peering).

Outside of peering in large colo situations, TWC is just like any other last-mile Ethernet provider with their offerings, albeit with a network that varies heavily by area. At home in Fredericksburg, TX the city runs their network off of TWC/RR (trace to fbgtx.org), at least for now, just to give you an idea of their target market for fiber stuff.
    I see your bandwidth and raise you a gigabit
    Recommendations: MDDHosting shared, Virpus high-BW VPS, 100TB/SoftLayer for awesome servers

* TWTC explained.

Quote Originally Posted by lumbyjj View Post
    Hrmm.. $35 per Meg is about standard for them being Time Warner Telecom. I haven't heard of Time Warner Cable being in a colo. Mind giving me the IP so I can trace route to it? I have Time Warner Telecom in my mix and am interested in the route it's going to take.
    This will ping our gateway on the west side of Houston. Its on a loop to their Tidwell CO, and will hop their texas ring to Dallas on one side for their peering at colo4dallas.

If your looking for a colo that they are in, I know they are in Fiber town (Bryan, Texas) and Colo4Dallas. They also operate their own Collocation facilities, and I believe peer with L3 at greenspoint here in Houston.

TWTC (Former Known as Time Warner Telecom) was once the business side of Time warner cable. It is its own tier-2 network that has reasonable intercity links as well as metro Ethernet provided mostly by SONET rings in Houston. Their SBC's are SONET based so if your doing some things with VOIP you can get into problems with timing as SONET SBC's break standards.

For data services outside of an outage at IKE I've had no problems with them, and have good latency.

As for telephony (PRI circuits) I've been extremely unhappy with them. Every time we put a ticket in crazy things happen.
    During IKE they made my life a living hell for 3 days by loosing tickets, having ridiculous hold times, and threatening outrageous billing charges for services that had already been negotiated and paid for.

That said they are a data carrier that does phone service so they get CLEC digging privileges and you get what you pay for.
    If anyone see's anything wrong in my post, or is a an employee of TWTC feel free to call me out

Yes it seems like last mile to get into TWTC. But bandwidth performance has been good enough in our market.

I certainly dont think I know enough to "call anyone out on it." I believe the relationship was in name only. Time Warner gave Time Warner Telecom the right to use the name Time Warner for an amount of time. That ended recently and one or both companies chose to no longer continue with allowing the TW Telecom to use the name. In my opinion Time Warner Telecom reps enjoyed being able to use the name Time Warner to give them more credibility.

They were never the business side of Time Warner Cable to my knowledge. Remember, this all happened back in the days of AOL/Time Warner wanting to have a piece of anything media or internet related.
    Looking for next opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Colo4-Paul View Post
    I certainly dont think I know enough to "call anyone out on it." I believe the relationship was in name only. Time Warner gave Time Warner Telecom the right to use the name Time Warner for an amount of time. That ended recently and one or both companies chose to no longer continue with allowing the TW Telecom to use the name. In my opinion Time Warner Telecom reps enjoyed being able to use the name Time Warner to give them more credibility.

They were never the business side of Time Warner Cable to my knowledge. Remember, this all happened back in the days of AOL/Time Warner wanting to have a piece of anything media or internet related.
    Glad to hear the correction, thats a story that TWTC sales reps never fully explain.
    BTW, I've started referring people to GBwebhosting who's racked with you in Colo4Dallas and had 1000x fewer problems with clients web sites being down/slow.