Question Phoenix versus Las Vegas Colo

I was wondering which location is better for colocation?

Is one better than the other as far as bandwidth, power or accessibility?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Quote Originally Posted by KatzenJammer View Post
    I was wondering which location is better for colocation?

Is one better than the other as far as bandwidth, power or accessibility?

Thanks in advance for your insights.
    From a completely unscientific view, I seem to see Phoenix pop up on carrier POP lists much more frequently than Las Vegas. I would imagine cooling and power are cheaper in Phoenix as it's slightly less in the middle of the desert than Las Vegas.

Phoenix in my opinion is safer as they are further from the San Andreas fault so it is less likely to feel any earthquakes/aftershocks. Then again most data centers, especially the SuperNap (in Las Vegas) are designed to mitigate those types of problems. I know that didn't answer anything about bandwidth, power or accessibility but, IMHO it is an important thing to consider as well.

What companies have you looked at so far? That in itself can greatly affect each variable as well as some hosts will peer with more providers, have power of multiple substations, etc.
    Mean Servers - Mean Business
    █ Denver & Los Angeles - Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Managed Services
    Mean Servers - www.MeanServers.com

I personally have visited the 365 Main data center, it is extremely secure and they planned for an event that happens every 500 years in Arizona, a flood. The staff is nice, and the VP of Sales is who gave me the tour. If you are looking to colo to Phoenix, I would go with 365Main.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend CyberTrails as they said they were going to give me a tour but the representative never called me back and didn't return my calls. So I say, stay away from CyberTrails.

We also have an I/O Data Center out here, and I hear it's extremely secure as well, but I have not taken a tour yet.

Pick Phoenix

Phoenix has a much more vibrant market, with lots of players, and it also has much more substantial telecom infrastructure. Las Vegas, on the other hand, has very little space outside of Switch. You will pay more and get less. Either way, be sure to ask about the water rights at your DC operator...both are dry regions, and access to water is becoming a problem.

Best,

Everett
    Everett Thompson, CEO - "Largest list of data centers on the planet." Strategy, Design, Brokerage, Finance
    US Data Center List
    International Data Center List

Phoenix, has quite a few large data centers, there are 2 new centers with over 600,000 sq. ft. total under construction, Phoenix Nap, and Phoenix One-From I/O; there is quite a large amount of carriers connected to all the existing centers in the area, and this offers you lower prices as far as bandwidth is concerned. I would recommend Phoenix overall.

Is there a peering point in Las Vegas?

Yes, all major cities will have a peering point, for example, Google brought up the following:

GENUITY NAP
    Telx Internet Exchange
    CRG West

Just to name a few.
    █ Denver & Los Angeles - Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Managed Services

Quote Originally Posted by redrocksdatacenter View Post
    Yes, all major cities will have a peering point, for example, Google brought up the following:

GENUITY NAP
    Telx Internet Exchange
    CRG West

Just to name a few.

Guess it depends what you mean by peering point. For example, None of the big boys peer in St. Louis. Pretty much everything goes to chicago. For example, the office i am in has charter who has level 3 as a provider, and another office in st.louis has another provider who has the same. Yet traffic from one to the other goes to chicago before going back to st.louis. Kinda sucks, but performance is still OK because it stays on level 3's network only with not many hops.

Phoenix has more facilities and better options than Las Vegas. It seems like many clients like Las Vegas better because of the extra curricular activities available
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - colocation, dedicated and cloud quotes

Someone told me there are more data canters in Phoenix than any other city but most are single tenat/private. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by KatzenJammer View Post
    Someone told me there are more data canters in Phoenix than any other city but most are single tenat/private. Is this true?
    Probably depends on your definition of a data center. Data centers can be public or private, in someone's home or in a multi-building complex. I wouldn't expect Phoenix of all places to have the most. Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York City are more likely to carry this title due to their size and number of carriers going through them.

Phoenix does't have the most however, they're building up around here. Simply because we have no natural disaster

www.datacentermap.com

Isn't overheat a natural disaster? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by iptelligent View Post
    Isn't overheat a natural disaster? ;-)
    Actually Phoenix has a pretty low wet bulb, and in newer more efficient facilities that is very important in determining how fast the fans on your cooling towers are going to need to work to chill your condenser loop.
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services