* 4 Years With LayeredTech: Fed up

We are the clients of LayeredTech for 4.5 years. Basically, we're fed up with poor service and below are the details. Love the stories about stupid circumstances leading to major catastrophes? You'll love the story below.

Another incident took place in June. We have ordered another hard drive for our server. During the maintenance, their technician obviously dropped an existing hard drive (never admitted by them), causing the bad sectors to appear immediately after upgrade. They were trying to replace it, but replaced a wrong hard drive (!). Their second attempt to fix things up resulted in a broken SCSI controller (!). Their verdict: the server is dead and can't be restored. It resulted in a huge downtime of three days. During these three days, we experienced the lack of professionalism from their staff (besides group leaders), poor coordination between the shifts (another shift comes and they have no idea of what the previous shift has started) and poor response times.

Now, they are moving their data center forcing clients to order a new server (you guys probably heard about it) and we have the same experience: poor coordination of departments. Friday: technicians offered a configuration and suggested to submit a ticket to sales (I've no idea why clients have to transfer information between their departments). Sales came on Monday refusing to fulfill this order suggesting to order a new server from the web site. We gave another attempt and placed an order, asking to upgrade memory and disk - the features we already purchased. Their response? It's not upgradable. Nothing was suggested.

I'm not to tell about the other issues, about red eyes of our technicians that can't get to bed waiting for their support to reply and restoring the server from backups. I'm not telling about our IPs whitelisted in major mailing services; years of work discarded by moving our server without asking us if we like to. Finally, I'm not telling about minor issues; they happened for these years.

Guys, we're fed up with LayeredTech and moving our server out (we have one more and refer it as "hostage"). Yes, we loose money for the purchased memory, for purchased a hard drive and for a setup fee from another provider. But we can't deal with them anymore. Anyone thinking about LT - keep away. Dear fellows who already own a server there - let's keep our fingers crossed; LT is great when nothing happens, but horrible dealing with incidents. Good luck, guys.

For LT management: if you want to proof the facts, my client ID is 4553.

Wow this is sad news sorry to hear about your very bad experience, i hope all goes well with your new provider!

Do you have your mind set already on which provider your going with?

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with them, I would say it is time to bail on that sinking ship before you get sucked down with it.

You said you were with them for 4.5 years. Have they always been this bad or did this just start happening recently?

Best of luck finding a new, better provider.
    Mean Servers - Mean Business
    █ Denver & Los Angeles - Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Servers | Managed Services
    Mean Servers - www.MeanServers.com

I do find that shocking, when the sites I ran required a lot of power the servers I got when LayeredTech were purely at Savvis were far better than any other dedicated provider.
    I actually have a good review on my own site in regards LayeredTech and would like to know if this is what you have experienced recently or have you experienced several issues such as this throughout your time with them?
    Kind Regards
    Christopher Smith

Unfortunately, I never had a very great experience at LayeredTech either. It's interesting to see them come up again though - news about LT has been rather sparse lately. Best of luck with your next host!

Alex

Go colocation, you'll be much happier.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

I'm surprised you were able to put up with them for over 4 years, or were negative experiences only recent?

Sounds like one of those "last straw" type of deals.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

I think they went down hill 2 years ago. No more specials. I think it was after their redesign. I was with them for 2 years I think (before the redesign). Prices are were expensive for unmanaged servers.

They got a new owner or something it seems.
    Last edited by azn_romeo_4u; 10-06-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by igxhost View Post
    I'm surprised you were able to put up with them for over 4 years, or were negative experiences only recent?
    Always when we needed their support. We had another horrible story back in 2006; same thing: lame maintenance, loss of data, poor support.

A tip for those of you who stay with LT: once you need their support, try escalating the ticket to the support team lead asap. Unfortunately, in our case it only happened on the second day of downtime.

The offers were mainly put on the LT forums, but the forums used to be quite busy where as nowadays its pretty deserted.
    I will agree after LT put prices up due to power price hikes at the DC the unmanaged servers were more expensive but before that I thought I was paying for a better service (I actually used a number of dedicated providers for around a 3 year period and personally I did find LT very good compared to competitors, but then again I hardly needed to contact support).
    I'll have a rethink of my review as obviously it is not just Ivan who are not impressed.
    Kind Regards
    Christopher Smith

Thumbs down Same story ...

Agree 100% with Ivan! I closed my last server with them yesterday.

Same story with me. I was with them from day one of their company.
    Luckily I moved my 20+ servers to very reliable vendor, when they raised the price almost 50%(2 years back)

My only one server was with them as I paid big setup fee for this machine to get discounted monthly price for 3 year.

Recent and worst experience
    They closed this server without any notice. 100s of sites went down. When I asked, they replied its hardware failure and I should took new hardware on there new location.
    I said to replace failed hardware in same DC.
    After 2 hours , they said its not hardware problem. its problem at switch's port. After 4 hrs of downtime, my server was up.

After 6 hrs of this, my server went down back and this time it remain down for next 4 days.
    In this time, they did not replied my tickets(closed it) and They blocked my Phone number on there voice system.

Yes I have seen red eyes of our technicians - worked continuously(more then 36 hrs) to restore data from recent backup and to then to help 100s of customers to setting up things on new servers. My engineers split sites on 2 new servers to restore data very quickly and they were able to make 80% sites up again in 3 hrs time.

Old problems
    1.They billed me for servers that were canceled 2 months back.
    2.More then 3 times they rebooted wrong servers when I asked for manual reboot of server X they rebooted server Y.
    3.They canceled wrong server - when I asked them to cancel server X they took offline server Y on cancellation date.
    4.Once they replaced wrong hard-disk.

Thanks
    Naveen Sharma

Man, I am sorry to hear about the issues you guys were having at LT. Please do fill us in on your new host, and provide a review of them as well. LT is a reputable company, and I am sure there is just something that needs to be cleared up internally.
    Jeremy Miller - Account Executive
    SingleHop Inc. - Dedicated Servers Exclusive Specials - www.singlehop.com/jeremymiller
    Phone: 1-866-817-2811 ext. 103

Quote Originally Posted by SingleHopJeremy View Post
    LT is a reputable company, and I am sure there is just something that needs to be cleared up internally.
    Before, while Todd is handling it, it is fine but now, it is sucks.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

LT was definitely good while the original guys were running the ops. It seems it has steadily gone downhill since. Or they might have shifted their focus away from the WHT crowd. I don't see any of the LT staff responding here anymore.

LayeredTech will be a good case study one way or another.

Either they are onto something where they will raise their margins and move to a different type of customer and be wildly successful or it's "How to destroy a company in 365 days".

I used to use them but wouldn't now for budget or enterprise hosting.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

I just stayed with them for 1 month then bye bye

LayeredTech staff doesn't visit WHT anymore? i think they used to in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by naveen3 View Post
    2.More then 3 times they rebooted wrong servers when I asked for manual reboot of server X they rebooted server Y.
    3.They canceled wrong server - when I asked them to cancel server X they took offline server Y on cancellation date.
    4.Once they replaced wrong hard-disk.
    It's so much about LT! I'm sorry naveen3 :-(

Guys must adopt the surgery procedures so they replace/reboot/cancel the right thing, same as surgeons cut the right leg. No kidding - to many problems of same kind.

And btw when they replaced the wrong hard drive, they lost it immediately and couldn't find until now. Our commercial data went in some unknown direction.