hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Point domain to Godaddy Name Servers with A record

Forum Jump

Point domain to Godaddy Name Servers with A record

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Question

Point domain to Godaddy Name Servers with A record

Hi everyone

I have a question. Please bear with me if it's a very newbie-sh.

When I point a domain registered with another company to Godaddy hosting, is it mandatory to change the nameservers at my Domain registrar and replace them with Godaddy's nameservers?

I mean my Domain registrar gives me an option to change the A record for the domain. Can I not simply enter the IP address of my host into the A record of my domain and leave my existing nameservers as is?

Hope the question is clear.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old
WHT Addict

Does Godaddy offer static or dynamic IP?

If your IP is static, then you can just edit your A-record.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader99 View Post
Does Godaddy offer static or dynamic IP?

If your IP is static, then you can just edit your A-record.
Thanks for the reply

I think the IP is static, because my account in GoDaddy shows the same IP for my server always. However is there any (other) way of knowing?

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

The answer is yes, regardless of the IP. No host worth a dime would use dynamic IPs anyway

Old

Yep it worked. I just changed my A record at my domain registrar to point to my Host IP. Simple as that. I don't know why they make all that fuss about changing nameservers.

Anyways thanks guys.

Old
Disabled

Then you are using your registrar's name servers, which is ok. Be aware that dns changes made at your host (e.g., via control panel) will have no affect -- those changes will have to be done at your registrar's dns manager. Make sure you've got your MX records and www cname, etc configured there.

Old

yep i understood that.

The thing is, my silly domain registrar required me to enter the IP as well as the domain name of nameservers. GoDaddy gave me the nameservers and I looked up the IPs of those nameservers. I waited a couple of days but it didn't work. So I thought what the heck, let me just point the A record to my host and keep using the domain registrar's nameservers.

Thanks for the tip btw.