Dedicated server for around $30-$50/mo

Hiya,
    I'm quite very new to the whole web hosting. We first started with a shared hosting environment which costs us about $12 a month with LunarPages and had a PhpBB forum on it. Once we upgraded to vBulletin, they said they couldnt host our website anymore and so we moved to VPS with inMotion hosting and they have been more than kind to let us run over a month of about 8% CPU usage per day.
    Now we're looking for a cheap dedicated server witht he same features: a ready-to-go server. One with Control Panel installed, SSH access and the scripts for an eggdrop to run.

I've done some research and the closest thing to it was ServerPronto. However, on reading the reviews, I've been quite septic signing up with them.
    Anyone else has a better suggestion with a budget of $30-$50 a month?
    Thanks for your time!

For that budget, you may get a mid range VPS, but you won't get a reliable dedicated.

BTW have a look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=893432 hopefully this plan:

4GB RAM (8Gb Burst)
    160GB Disk Space
    2500Gb Transfer (approx 4.8Ghz guaranteed)
    Price: $64.90/month - $48.68/month after a discount!

Will fit your needs, they are completely un-managed and cPanel will cost you extra.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

These companies have budget boxes:
    http://www.joesdatacenter.com/
    https://www.burst.net/
    http://www.cpctechnology.com/

I personally work with CPC (I have a full cabinet) so I know they are solid. Never worked with Burst or Joes, though never heard anything bad about Joes. Burst has been solid over the last year more or less from listening in on WHT chatter.

You'll have a hard time getting a control panel at that budget. You might be able to use ISPConfig though.

Do you have any preferred server locations?

If you don't need management, i can also recommend Burst.

The only two big providers I know of with your requested features for that price are 1&1 and OVH. phpBB isn't hugely CPU friendly as you know, so I'd strongly suggest a bigger maybe Xen based VPS before all else.

That said OVH have a €40/month quad Q6600 with 4Gb of RAM. If you don't mind almost zero support and doing everything yourself then they're okay if most of your users are US and European.

HTH,
    Niall

Another vote for JoesDatacenter. I am also looking to purchasing a 44U rack with JoesDatacenter. Talk with him, see what he could do for you.

Regards

Hello everyone.
    Thank you for your precious input!
    @vinsar: I've read a bad review about fvskVPS and really want to stay away from them =p

Also, I'm not sure whether or not a VPS will suit our need. At InMotion hosting, the acceptable CPU usage was only 1% a day and we use about 8%~10%.

As I said, I'm still new to the whole hosting thing. I've only started to learn how to use SSH. I know how to park a domain, I know how to create databases etc (With cPanel). Is it wrong for me to assume that a free control panel, such as Webmin, will be able to fulfil my needs?

As for unmanaged or managed. I know the difference but I personally don't know what kind of user I am. If you ask me personally what I think about my knowledge of UNIX, I would say none. Then again, I've seen many people with no knowledge at all do very fine. Besides, theres a lot of guides online. Do you think I should go for unmanaged?

@Jamson, I don't have any preference but somewhere in the US would be best - but if theres a cheaper alternative, sure.

I've tried googling some Xen based VPS.. I still don't quite understand the meaning <_<

Thank you again for your precious help!

corenetworks $30

Have a look at VolumeDrive, they do some cheap servers (you'll find them in the offers forum or you can email them for more information, their website isn't very up to date).

DeanLag

Bad reviews about fsckVPS I have been reading the same and much more bad reviews about them, but to tell you I have been dealing with that team for years now (I think since 2003) I had ordered even after the big fiasco they faced, any ways that is your choice.

Regarding managed or un-managed, I will suggest get semi-managed, where the OS/kernel etc updates/security are handled by the provider and you can just play around with the control panel.

Also reconsider your budget, $30 to $50, think again why you want this server for, will that amount bring reliable and stable hardware and service.

Anyways another provider you can look at is http://www.wholesaleinternet.com

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=893283

But note that on a dedicated, cPanel license itself will cost you around $30 (some may be providing cheaper internal license) and most probably those cheap dedicated are un-managed.

And whatever/wherever you go, plan the backup first. Backup from where you can restore in case of something going wrong.

If you have 0 knowledge on how to run a server, you should definitely hire a server admin or a management company to help you. Then you can learn from them.
    All things work together for the good of those who love God - Romans 8:28

Interserver has an atom server for $39. I had ordered one in the past to make a free host and was happy with it. I was surprised that they actually gave me support for that price.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

serverpronto.com

Good VPS providers won't limit you to 1%. I'd say go with a good VPS and you will be more than happy.

I know you can get a very good spec and managed VPS for under $50.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

Basically, a Xen or OpenVZ VPS is the technology used to split the server between a certain amount of people.

A Xen VPS gives you access to swap RAM, an OpenVZ VPS gives you burst RAM and are usually cheaper.

US servers are usually the cheapest, but with no preference within the US, can be a good thing.

Webmin does give you admin access to things like creating DNS zones and MySQL databases, but it doesn't give you the ability to create separate accounts. That comes with the free Virtualmin/Usermin module.

Quote Originally Posted by neXeon View Post
    Good VPS providers won't limit you to 1%. I'd say go with a good VPS and you will be more than happy.

I know you can get a very good spec and managed VPS for under $50.
    I agree that kind of limit seems ridiculous. Also there are providers that offer free or cheap directadmin licenses and your typical pricing on cPanel. Look over the advertising forms carefully and be sure to look up reviews and history for providers before picking one.
    Joe Morgan @ Joe’s Datacenter, LLC- www.joesdatacenter.com
    Affordable & Reliable Dedicated Servers | VPS | Colocation in the Midwest

inMotion hosting has so far been a very good experience in terms of support and uptime. The only thing that ticked me off is that I clearly asked the sales team before I signed up, what was the acceptable CPU usage and the sales person told me I won't have to worry about it. So I immediately signed up and after a month, they emailed me about my CPU usage. However, the good side of it is that they're giving me a full refund because I signed up less than 90 days.

Hello JOEsDC,
    I was wondering what was the acceptable CPU usage at Joe's Datacenter for VPS? And is the dedicated servers managed or unmanaged?

@vinsar
    Thank you again for your input, kind sir.
    My vBulletin board has about 150 users a day and about 25~ people online at the same time. I plan to run an eggdrop on it too.
    As I said, I'm still new to the whole hosting thing and its really a headache trying to look for a new hosting company >< I don't want to rush things but I also have about 4 days left to do it.

If anyone knows a cheap VPS that has the acceptable CPU usage of 20 ish % per day, it would be awesome.

Again, thank you everyone.

I've been with http://www.wholesaleinternet.com for several months, and I am quite happy. I have the dual core atom dedicated server as shown for $49 on http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=893283 and it fits my needs just fine. Of course, this is unmanaged. Plenty of security tutorials exist on WHT for how to harden your server, but you can also just hire www.webbycart.com to set your server up and manage it for you. That's what I did for the first few months I had the server. It's only $35/month: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=894219

Previously, I had a titanium vps with www.futurehosting.com where after discount, for $53.97 you get a fully-managed, control-panel vps with pretty good specs as shown on http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=894822 Futurehosting obviously has smaller and less expensive plans which are still very good.

I highly recommend both Wholesale Internet and Futurehosting for the needs you mention.

By the way, I don't recommend the $30 per month dedicated servers because I found the pings were really high going to them, and the download speeds were not good. Plus, what you get in the hardware is pretty old and slow. So for the ~$30-50 range, get a futurehosting vps; if you need a dedicated, go with the $49 dedicated from wholesale internet. That's my input based solely on my very limited personal experience.
    Last edited by JoieDeMort; 10-06-2009 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks for that JoieDeMort.
    I've inquired about most companies you guys mentionned and so far.

Thank you again for your immense contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Thx. It sounds nice.

for vps hosting, you may want to check out wiredtree.com, they got good hardware for VPS.