Thread: Amount of RAM?

Amount of RAM?

Hi,

I am looking for a VPS, but don't know how much RAM I need. I would be running centos, webmin or kloxo, and would be running a wordpress site (low amount of visitors, just family), and a forum (phpbb) or a joomla site, I haven't decided yet.

How much ram would you say I needed?

Thanks,

Danny

256mb will be right on the money.
    beast5.com - Managed Hosting Solutions 2004 - 2016

My rule of thumb, and of course you don't have to take this as advice. If you think you can get away with 256, then double it and leave yourself a little bit of memory to expand with.

Shoot... I have one VPS, which uses about 256K with what I have loaded on it, but my allocation is 2 meg. Got a great deal, and more in my opinion is better than less.... and you never know... my get a bug... and actually do something with it.

So, the moral to my story. Is shop for what you need, but if you can find a deal and get more, then by all means take advantage of it.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by redmeds View Post
    My rule of thumb, and of course you don't have to take this as advice. If you think you can get away with 256, then double it and leave yourself a little bit of memory to expand with.

Shoot... I have one VPS, which uses about 256K with what I have loaded on it, but my allocation is 2 meg. Got a great deal, and more in my opinion is better than less.... and you never know... my get a bug... and actually do something with it.

So, the moral to my story. Is shop for what you need, but if you can find a deal and get more, then by all means take advantage of it.
    Hmmm, I suppose. Like the saying:

"Better to have a gun and not need one, than need one, and not have one"

I'm sure that's from Aliens VS Predators

Quote Originally Posted by danisgood View Post
    Hmmm, I suppose. Like the saying:

"Better to have a gun and not need one, than need one, and not have one"

I'm sure that's from Aliens VS Predators

I would agree with beatserv that you need about 256k, but if you can find a deal with a reputable company, then go balls to the wall.

I have a VPS and joomla only loaded, and here are my stats:

Memory Usage Used 237.6 MB
    Memory Usage
    Bar Begin Bar End
    1.8 GB of 2.0 GB available

I have another server with Vbulletin, and phpbb, and a couple of other misc apps running and here are the stats:

Memory Usage Used 218.4 MB
    Memory Usage
    Bar Begin Bar End
    741.6 MB of 960.0 MB available

Joomla appears to be a memory hog... so leave yourself a little bit of wiggle room.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by redmeds View Post

I would agree with beatserv that you need about 256k, but if you can find a deal with a reputable company, then go balls to the wall.

I have a VPS and joomla only loaded, and here are my stats:

Memory Usage Used 237.6 MB
    Memory Usage
    Bar Begin Bar End
    1.8 GB of 2.0 GB available

I have another server with Vbulletin, and phpbb, and a couple of other misc apps running and here are the stats:

Memory Usage Used 218.4 MB
    Memory Usage
    Bar Begin Bar End
    741.6 MB of 960.0 MB available

Joomla appears to be a memory hog... so leave yourself a little bit of wiggle room.
    Nice of you to give some realistic comparisons I'd agree that 256 should do you fine, but make sure the provider you choose can easily upgrade your server if needed in the future. If it's in your price range 512mb wouldn't hurt either
    | | i write code

Agreed. 256MB should work fine for you, as your sites are low traffic. If you can afford 384MB or 512MB you might as well go for it though, as joomla and wordpress are known for taking up a bit of resources once your traffic grows.
    HostingScene - Reliable web hosting since 2003!
    XEN powered VPS - Learn More!
    Nick @ Hostingscene.com - 877-244-5650
    http://www.hostingscene.com

Why do you need a VPS? Get a reseller account if you want all your sites under one account or if it is only one domain, get a shared hosting account and graduate to a VPS if and when the need arises. Because at the end of the day, a good shared server would perform better than a low end vps.

As mentioned above, 256 MB RAM should be good enough for you to get going however if you manage to find one with 384 MB or 512 MB within your budget, there's no harm in going for that.
    Cloud Hosting - Intelligent, Auto-Scalable & Pay-Per-Use | Near Unlimited Resources
    Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed UK Dedicated Servers
    Complete, Fully Managed Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com!

When a VPS has 256 RAM the control panels and applications take too much of its resources. As others I also think taht you should be fine on 256 RAM virtual server. However I didn't tested webmin or Lxadmin and can not say anything about the performance of the VPS with any of them.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    When a VPS has 256 RAM the control panels and applications take too much of its resources. As others I also think taht you should be fine on 256 RAM virtual server. However I didn't tested webmin or Lxadmin and can not say anything about the performance of the VPS with any of them.
    Webmin seemed to use ~30mb on my 256mb VPS. Then I realized webmin was completely pointless for me, as my host provided a basic control panel to me that could restart/reload the VPS as well as viewing it's memory and bandwidth usage. So I killed webmin, because if you already have to tools available, why waste more of a limited resource?

Get yourself around 256mb of RAM Bud and your VPS should run smooth

- Many Thanks,

I look at RAM this way: "the more the merrier" :-) RAM is there to be used, unused RAM is a waste.

In general with more RAM you can dedicate more memory to MySQL tuning to improve database performance, and more to PHP acceleration to improve PHP performance, and more to Apache to stitch things together for example.

In your sepecific case all of those applications will benefit from more memory, particularly if you plan on running them concurrently. But this is more art than scienece as it's going to depend on how many people visit your site concurrently, how many posts/blog entries you have, the number of plugins installed etc etc.

And to finish on a more concrete note, if you can afford it I'd look at 384/512MB
    Exceptional VPS Hosting. With love, 6sync.

As someone else mentioned, you're much better off with a shared account.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    [ cPanel Varnish Nginx Plugin ] - Enhance LiteSpeed and Apache Performance
    www.unixy.net - Los Angeles | Houston | Atlanta | Rotterdam
    Love to help pro bono (time permitting). joe > unixy.net

This is what I would do: Find a suitable VPS provider, start with their lowest or second lowest plan, and move up the ladder when the time comes that you feel that you need more RAM.