Finally ready to upload!!!!

Okay so I'm finally ready to update my new site.. Thanks for the advice thus far guys..

SO I have done this before a looong time ago, if I've forgotten, let me know haha:

So far the site is in a folder with all the other files it needs, and loads perfectly on my computer.

Now, I buy hosting with a site such as www.hawkhost.com , c who will also let me buy a domain for my site...

I send the files over an FTP connection.. I have totally forgot all the input I have to put into the FTP.. I figure it will be... My host account's username and password, maybe the server's IP adress or root domain?

So now my only concern is picking a host who offers best value for a monthly rate (obveously), and also one who will let me buy a domain name from they, and get everything up and running at once.

And then that's it? Should be up right?

Thanks!!!!

That's it, yes.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by Tingly View Post
    Okay so I'm finally ready to update my new site.. Thanks for the advice thus far guys..

SO I have done this before a looong time ago, if I've forgotten, let me know haha:

So far the site is in a folder with all the other files it needs, and loads perfectly on my computer.

Now, I buy hosting with a site such as www.hawkhost.com , c who will also let me buy a domain for my site...

I send the files over an FTP connection.. I have totally forgot all the input I have to put into the FTP.. I figure it will be... My host account's username and password, maybe the server's IP adress or root domain?

So now my only concern is picking a host who offers best value for a monthly rate (obveously), and also one who will let me buy a domain name from they, and get everything up and running at once.

And then that's it? Should be up right?

Thanks!!!!
    Like Bear said, that's pretty much it. However, if you buy a domain, it could take 24 to 48 hours to propagate. This is not host specific, so it doesn't matter where you go, but it could be that time range before your domain is active.

You would have to upload to the server's IP at first, unless your domain propagates for you quickly. Which is possible, domains have always propagated quickly for me.

Good luck in the search
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

you've got it - but I'd recommend you get a domain from a third party such as GoDaddy.com or Namecheap.com - this will ensure that your domain is safe just in case anything happens to your hosting account - you don't want everything going down at the same time - if your host offers domain registration and they are reliable, then you can use them as a registrar while you get a different hosting account from another company (maybe a secondary site)

Other than that, you seem to be ready to go - good luck getting the site up

Quote Originally Posted by njoker555 View Post
    you've got it - but I'd recommend you get a domain from a third party such as GoDaddy.com or Namecheap.com - this will ensure that your domain is safe just in case anything happens to your hosting account - you don't want everything going down at the same time - if your host offers domain registration and they are reliable, then you can use them as a registrar while you get a different hosting account from another company (maybe a secondary site)

Other than that, you seem to be ready to go - good luck getting the site up
    I also second this as it's a good habit to get into. That being said most hosts aren't ICANN accredited so they resell domains through larger entities (ENOM, etc) so if there were ever an issue you usually can regain full control of the domain. Also you may want to discuss the domain policies with hosts (as an example us and I'm sure others have a no frill policy when it comes to domains - full access and control / can transfer registrars by asking).

Nonetheless separating domain / host can save lots of headaches in the future if something went awry.
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Let's Encrypt Sponsor.

Cool

Just make sure if you get the domain from a host that does like us and puts YOUR info in all the contacts (there is "owner" or registrant-of course should be you, THEN administrative (that one really control's the name-this is the main one you want to be sure is you) as well as a technical and billing, they should be you too unless the host's software requires them to be the billing--the technical is really pretty useless these days so might as well be your name, and it should propagate fast unless you are on a backwoods ISP.
    I have had people see the blank site/name come up before they hang up the phone asking questions (5-15 minutes. It all depends on how fast your ISP is-before you can see it, everything else is almost instant these days)... the bigger "name" ISP's update very often.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Also, please if you can afford a few extra dollars do not get a domain from godaddy. I have read stories online about people having controversial websites and godaddy took their domain name because it was against their Terms of Service. Search online to understand what I mean.
    Map & Web Hosting
    URLdownload.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlxCds View Post
    Also, please if you can afford a few extra dollars do not get a domain from godaddy. I have read stories online about people having controversial websites and godaddy took their domain name because it was against their Terms of Service. Search online to understand what I mean.
    would love to see some published stories like that

I have dozens of domains with GoDaddy right now, and lifetime I've registered at least a 150 different domains with them and never had any issues with them like that. Their support is slow and "not great" but their prices and domain registration service is everything you would ask for in a registrar. The controversies you are talking about may have something to do with lawsuits or a legal question - I don't see how GoDaddy would take your domain name just for nothing, even if it broke a part of their TOS, has to be something more.