Hosting question (I've read most stickies)

Hello,

So I'm looking to start a forum - It will be security/defensive white hat hacking. As far as how much space I need, I can't be certain, as I don't know how big my pages or how quick I'll generate members.

Something small will do just fine as long as its upgradable. The forum be a small size, and will probably be small for a long time as this is my first site - ever. The forum will mainly be for hobby until I have the hits/members to generate revenue, then I'll be more serious about it.

A few things I'd like:

I want .com or .net - nothing weird like .biz or .us etc, if I can help it.

I want it to be cheap-ish but I don't want trash service either. Middle ground will be fine.

I'm looking at godaddy.com atm so if you have any suggestion, I'd love to hear it =)

Thanks so much!

For your requirements you have a lot of options, as it sounds like you need little resources. It would be nice if you had specified a budget. Regardless GoDaddy is not that well regarded when it comes to hosting, and their custom control panel may cause you problems should you decide to move (cPanel is recommended and is the industry standard). They also oversell (high resource allocations for low price is an indication of that) which could lead to poor performance depending on how they manage their servers. To get their basic package you have to pay 3 months in advance, which isn't too bad but it's always recommended to start off paying monthly, just in case you end up not liking the service. Buy your domain and hosting from separate companies, as this will also give you maximum flexibility when it comes to moving hosts. Check out the offers section of this forum for many options.

Quote Originally Posted by yobroitsme View Post
    I want .com or .net - nothing weird like .biz or .us etc, if I can help it.
    First of all I would recommend registering your domain with an actual domain registrar, instead of your web host.

Two popular suggestions are GoDaddy.com and NameCheap.com which offers FREE WhoisGuard protection (1st year).

I want it to be cheap-ish but I don't want trash service either. Middle ground will be fine.
    You'll need to be more specific on what your budget is. Web hosting starts anywhere from $30/yr to $6/mo. What's your actual budget?
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Thanks for the replies! This will be worth $240 a year to me ($20 a month or so) I'd rather it be this much or cheaper though. Unless the site magically takes off or something odd happens.

Thanks for the replies! This will be worth $240 a year to me ($20 a month or so) I'd rather it be this much or cheaper though. Unless the site magically takes off or something odd happens.
    That's why I asked what's your actual budget?

What are you comfortable spending without hesitation?
    What's your budget?

If it's a start up forum then any shared plan should do. Most forums take time to grow and some shared hosts may be able to sustain medium sized forums as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    First of all I would recommend registering your domain with an actual domain registrar, instead of your web host.
    I second this recommendation. especially with a topic like you've chosen.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Hello,

So I'm looking to start a forum - It will be security/defensive white hat hacking. As far as how much space I need, I can't be certain, as I don't know how big my pages or how quick I'll generate members.
    I recommend http://www.aperturehost.com .
    I had a forum on there for about a year and it was amazing. No downtime and I got help every step of the way.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    That's why I asked what's your actual budget?

What are you comfortable spending without hesitation?
    Yea, that's what I'm comfortable with. I can pay up to $20 per month and be comfortable. =)

Quote Originally Posted by CD Burnt View Post
    I second this recommendation. especially with a topic like you've chosen.
    Do you mind explaining why you said "especially with a topic like you've chosen." ?

I'm not sure I understand the difference between registering with the company I choose as a host and separating the two - I mean, I understand the difference, but what are the advantages of it?

Yea, that's what I'm comfortable with. I can pay up to $20 per month and be comfortable. =)

Do you mind explaining why you said "especially with a topic like you've chosen." ?
    Hello,
    It really hurts me to say this, but $20.00 per month is actually very high . I would shoot in the $5.00-$12.00 range for shared hosting. The $20.00 is great for a small VPS however.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

It will be security/defensive white hat hacking.

if discussions involve security weaknesses, there may be complaints that the site is useful to black hatters. a complaint to the webhost may get the site suspended.

if the webhost has the domain name (in same account), the host may feel that the domain should be suspended from functioning, too. this would prevent a change of webhosts.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

If you are starting out $20 a month is a overkill. As a typical forum start out is only 5-100MB depending on the forum software you will be using. Bandwidth will probably aren't going to use more than 5GB of bandwidth. Hostgator has some good plans for you. I would recommend going with the baby croc plan http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml . As you can you all the space you are going to need and add aditional domains as well for only $7.95 month. They have good strong servers with great admins running them. As for the domain Godaddy is a good place to register with. They have good phone support and they are aways helpfull when you don't understand something.
    Inode Hosting - Reliable Web Hosting for the right price.
    Shared & Reseller hosting featuring the industry leading cpanel
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee ,30 Day Money Back Guarantee ,24/7 Support
    Established since 2011

Hi There, I do agree with some of the other posters, buy your domain name through a domain registrar such as www.namecheap.com or www.godaddy.com my preference is namecheap. Purchasing a domain through a registrar ensures you have control of "your" domain name at all times.

A shared hosting enviroment should be able to handle a small start up forum, choose a company that offers scalability for the future.

Best of Luck,
    Chris
    www.postasite.net- Affordable, Reliable U.S/U.K Web Hosting.
    Cpanel | Domain Name Registration | SSL Certificates.
    In business since 2003

$20/mo is an extremely good budget for what you want. You should be able to start off more around the $4-5/mo mark at first, then progress up from there if you need to. $20/mo will get you a very nice semi-dedicated or Virtual Private Server, not something you need at the moment.

As for a provider, well, I can't really recommend anyone now since I've been hosting my own websites for too long . But a general rule of thumb for dynamic sites is to go with a provider with hard limits, rather than one that offers unlimited or ridiculously high limits (100gb for $2/mo is unrealistic as an example). Normally these hosts will have servers that will not choke to death when you find your forum has a spike in traffic.

In terms of your domain name, it's best (as mentioned above) to get your domain from a registrar. Some hosts suspend both the domain and hosting account and can, in effect, hold the domain hostage if something unforeseen happens. It is always advisable to keep your domain and hosting separated.

Hope that helps,
    Mike

So your looking for hosting huh? One thing ill like to get threw your head is don't don't go with godaddy. Go with a small but company that has been up for a while now, Don't know how to find out how long the company has been up for? You can view there whios at whios.com type in there domain and see all there information and see how long they been up and running for, look at reviews for the company and see if they have any downtime;..

I'd suggest avoiding godaddy.com because there are better providers out there. For domains, I'd suggest NameCheap.com or MyDomain.com. I also agree with those here who have suggested to register your domain separate from the host; this is an important step to consider. For hosts, I'd recommend DowntownHost if you want amazing service for an inexpensive price, or HawkHost if you want good service for a super inexpensive price. I think they both oversell, but not by much.

I've used Downtownhost for 2 years now with about 20 domain names and five or six servers and have loved them since the beginning. I've used HawkHost for over a year, and they're okay.

Well, Like they said You have allot of options. But You could find something that you need for cheap per month with s great company. 20 is high for a start up forum.

Good Luck on your search.

I'm looking at godaddy.com atm
    In my experience, server performance is not good there. However, they are a decent bet for registering domains (though I personally now use namecheap for that).

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate your time. Lots of great advice in this thread =)

You might want to think about a domain reseller account for your domains. It doesn't cost you a penny up front a resell.biz. You'll be able to register domains for $7.49/yr with free privacy protection, mail forwarding, and dns management. As an added bonus you can provide sub-reseller accounts to your forum members.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Ok, so I'm about to register my domain name with namecheap.com. Are there any tips I need to know before I press the payment button.

Options are whois guard, Comodo PositiveSSL Certificates, etc.

Thanks again!

Ok, so I'm about to register my domain name with namecheap.com. Are there any tips I need to know before I press the payment button.

Options are whois guard, Comodo PositiveSSL Certificates, etc.

Thanks again!
    If you want to hide your whois detail you can opt for the whois guard, do you need an SSL certificate? otherwise you can skip that step.

Not sure if they offer those services for free.

Cheers

The PositiveSSL through NameCheap is free if I'm not mistaken just like their WHOISGuard so it wouldn't hurt doing both
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Ok, so I'm about to register my domain name with namecheap.com.
    Smart move, I'm glad you took our advice.

Now comes the fun part, finding a web host
    What's your budget?