iptables automatic timed bans

I have a website that from time to time gets DDoS (usually with port 80 GET requests since I have everything except port 80 and 443 set to DROP in iptables). My problem is that as these attacks grow in size, I would like iptables to be able to dynamically ban ip's that are connected say more than 50 times within 30 seconds and then unban them again after say 10-20 minutes (to not keep huge iptable chains to clog valid incoming connections before they can reach the server).

I have tried several scripts that people have that use commands like:
    netstat -ntu | awk '{print $5}' | cut -d: -f1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

in a cron every minute and then have nice banning and unbanning and even email the administrator with detail features (e.g. DoS-Deflate, which is very nice but a little out of date, as it uses APF or IPT). Although I would not mind editing this very nice script to run every 15-30 seconds instead of every minute (smallest time unit capable with cron?) and to use the new iptables commands instead, but I was under the impression that this sort of functionality was already built into the new version of iptables. Am I wrong about this?

Are there any other suggestions for this sort functionality? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You may want to try DDoS-Deflate. It's free, and is known as the most reliable unpaid software to mitigate attacks.

http://deflate.medialayer.com/

You can customize the number of connections before a ban, to use APF or iptables, ban length etc. by running

pico /usr/local/ddos/ddos.conf

after installation. You can also run it manually by using

sh /usr/local/ddos/ddos.sh

Edit: sorry, didn't see the part where you didn't want to use this.
    Last edited by TimC; 10-02-2009 at 02:10 PM.

I don't mind using this software, it actually is pretty slick. I was just wondering if there was some functionality built into iptables or if I should go about modifying DoS-Deflate to suit my specific needs.

I also had a question about the whitelisting feature (in ignore.ip.list), it seems you can only add one IP address per line, but i need to whitelist ranges like 10.0.0.0/8 and there seems to be no documentation anywhere about how to do things like this.

You can change the setting in DoS-Deflate to use iptables, rather than APF, if that is what you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by cipherus View Post
    I would like iptables to be able to dynamically ban ip's that are connected say more than 50 times within 30 seconds and then unban them again after say 10-20 minutes (to not keep huge iptable chains to clog valid incoming connections before they can reach the server).
    It's possible as, by default, iptables uses the 'recent' module which can keep track of IPs by saving them in one or more lists (the 'limit' module can't).
    However, if you want to check for up to 50 connections per IP, you will have to increase the ip_pkt_list_tot value (that is the '--hitcount' parameter) as it is limited by default to 20.

You can check its current value with the command :
    Code:
    # cat /sys/module/ipt_recent/parameters/ip_pkt_list_tot
    In newer kernels, it was renamed 'xt_recent' :
    Code:
    # cat /sys/module/xt_recent/parameters/ip_pkt_list_tot
    NinTechNet
    ★ NinjaFirewall : Web Application Firewall for PHP and WordPress.
    ★ NinjaMonitoring : Monitor your website for suspicious activities.