Thread: A few questions

A few questions

I decided to get a reseller account but since I have some general questions, I would like to ask them here.

Let's say I build a website and the bandwidth is not enough anymore, can I upgrade to a higher package? Or if I find a better host, can I move my domain address there? Also what happens if the host one day just disappears? Can I use my domains on another host?

Thanks for the answers,

>> Let's say I build a website and the bandwidth is not enough anymore, can I upgrade to a higher package?

Yes, 99% of the companies out there allow upgrading. Just ask your company and make sure they allow this.

>> Or if I find a better host, can I move my domain address there?

Yes, again 99% of the time. Just make sure you DO NOT buy your domain from your hosting company. Go to namecheap.com for your domain purchase, and go to some other hosting company for your reseller account.

>> Also what happens if the host one day just disappears?

Backups, backups, backup. Just in case you didn't read: backups!
    Always have recent backups of your websites, and in case your reseller company disappears, you can open the same accounts with recent content on another company.

>> Can I use my domains on another host?
    Yes, but as I said always buy your domains from a domain registrar (namecheap.com, enom.com, godaddy.com) and your reseller account from a different company. And take backups of your website data regularly.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

If you are looking for the solution for your web sites only I assume your next step would be VPS not reseller account
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

Thanks for the answers. Let's say I bought a domain from namecheap.When I try to register at innohosting, I have these 3 choices;

- I want InnoHosting to register a new domain for me.

- I want to transfer my domain to InnoHosting

- I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain.

I know I shouldn't use the first one but what are the others? If I choose the second one, will my domain be moved to innohosting as if I bought the domain from there?(In which case no domain movement in the future). Or will I have the option of moving to another host in the future since I originally bought the domain from namecheap? What's the third option for?

If you brought a domain from namecheap you should opt the 3rd option I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain.
    Second option is for transferring your domain to innohosting as if you brought the domain from them.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackArchon View Post
    Thanks for the answers. Let's say I bought a domain from namecheap.When I try to register at innohosting, I have these 3 choices;

- I want InnoHosting to register a new domain for me.

- I want to transfer my domain to InnoHosting

- I will update my nameservers on an existing domain Or I will register a new domain.

I know I shouldn't use the first one but what are the others? If I choose the second one, will my domain be moved to innohosting as if I bought the domain from there?(In which case no domain movement in the future). Or will I have the option of moving to another host in the future since I originally bought the domain from namecheap? What's the third option for?
    You would choose option 3. Maybe you should contact Innohosting directly for quicker answers to these questions. They are very nice, helpful people.

Dave

Don;t register domain names with reseller hosting providers. They are "reseller of the reseller of the reseller" level in domain registration. Go with any ICANN accredited domain registrar. As far as for the Shared account, someone has already said that you should be able to upgrade, but this is something you should try to find in a web host's site.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

I'd also recommend going with a third party domain registrar - keeps things simple and easy - when you have trouble with your hosting, you know your domain is safe - so many people register it with their hosts, then they regret it, then they complain a whole lot about it.

Does the location matter for speed? For example if I register the domain with a company in the USA and use a host in Europe, would that make an impact on the speed of my website?

No, the speed is based solely on the location of the server.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BlackArchon View Post
    Does the location matter for speed? For example if I register the domain with a company in the USA and use a host in Europe, would that make an impact on the speed of my website?
    Domain registration location has nothing to do with speed of the site hosted. You can host it any where.

Thanks very much for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Harzem View Post
    >> Also what happens if the host one day just disappears?
    Backups, backups, backup. Just in case you didn't read: backups!
    Always have recent backups of your websites, and in case your reseller company disappears, you can open the same accounts with recent content on another company.
    Always maintain your own off-server backups even if your host says they do it for you!!!!!!! As Harzem said, I just felt that it was much more important to make sure this is emphasized for you.

Do make sure the backups are off-server... If the server shuts down because the provider disappeared it won't do you any good to have backups on the server because you won't be able to get to them.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/