Sharepoint on a VPS?

Hi,

I am looking for a very reliable, fully managed, Windows VPS provider with support for Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 (WSS). I understand that I wil have to install WSS myself, but should I be aware of any issues before hosting WSS on a VPS?

I think I will need 2GB RAM.

Other requirements include
    1. 200GB+ bandwidth,
    2. 100GB RAID Storage
    3. Support for MS SQL 2005 database.
    3. Highly reliable and Good quality customer support

Budget: $100/month

Which Windows VPS would you recommend? Would really appreciate if you can share your thoughts about this?

Your requirements are quite manageable with decent budget. With regards to your query, there are no known issues for having WSS installed on Hyper-V VPS. However, if you decide to go for some other virtualization technology, be sure to check out feasibility of the same.

Good luck!
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Minimum 1 GB of RAM is required to run WSS 3.0 but 2GB RAM is recommended for better performance. If you are planning to run WSS 3.0 on a VPS, make sure you have 2 GB Guaranteed RAM and not burstable RAM.
    WebHosting.UK.com - WHUK :: cPanel Hosting | Windows Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting | Cloud Hosting
    Dedicated Servers in UK by WHUK - Fully Managed UK dedicated servers with 24x7x365 Support.

I would confirm running sharepoint on less than 2gb machine (VPS or not) can be slow once you start filling sharepoint with info/files/etc

i remember somewhere i worked we had a team from microsoft come in and try to sell us virtualised sharepoint portal server, what a mess, and that was on a 16gb monster!

so, will look for atleast 2GB RAM.

Any good Windows VPS providers, you would recommend?

I haven't seen any VPS host provides 2gb RAM with their VPS plans. I'd suggesting having a look through the offers forum. Many people here own or run web hosting firms that may meet your needs or can provide customized plan for you there.

Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    I haven't seen any VPS host provides 2gb RAM
    There shouldn't be any technical issues in offering 2 GB or even higher RAM as long as the provider has enough amount of resources available. I've even noticed few providers offering around 4 GB RAM.
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

apart from wtf would you want a windows vps, why would you have a remotely-hosted sharepoint server, they're for intranets and have really high resource/bandwidth consumption, you really should host onsite.

thats even worse than running exchange on a vps!

Quote Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
    apart from wtf would you want a windows vps, why would you have a remotely-hosted sharepoint server, they're for intranets and have really high resource/bandwidth consumption, you really should host onsite.

You are right about the Sharepoint Server ( I think you mean MOSS, Microsoft Office Sharepoint Sever).

What I am looking for is to use WSS 3.0 (Windows Sharepoint Services) which I believe is not that resource intensive as compared to MOSS.

I am looking to host Intranet for a non profit org using WSS 3.0 services and using sharepoint site builder. Let me know if you think this will be resource hungry as well? to be not able to host on a VPS?

sej, seriously... you made that comment about a Windows VPS?

Sharepoint certainly won't work on Linux.
    There are several applications that require ASP and dotNet framework.
    I've found that Tomcat performs better on Windows based systems than it does on Linux systems.
    From a mid range to high productivity suite, Windows handles intra/inter-office stuff exceptionally well.

Don't give me all that jazz about Window systems needing to be rebooted more often than Linux. My own personal Windows VPS has an uptime better than most Linux systems I've worked with lately.

Spoken like a true Linux fan (or maybe a true anti-Microsoft fan?)

Getting this back on track here...

thedot123, Sharepoint plays very nicely on non Virtuozzo systems, and as others have said, it'll do okay on 1 gig of RAM, though 2 gigs is better. You'll probably want to go with someone that is running HyperV (MicroSoft's virtualization platform) or XenServer. You'll definitely get more of a performance edge on XenServer right now.

Thanks!
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Not sure what you're talking about, but we've got numerous Sharepoint sites running on VMWare guests just fine - no issues at all.

And no, SharePoint isnt just for Intranet's.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

thedot123,

As confirmed by several others above, it's definitely possible to run WSS on a VPS. However, one of the most important things when considering running WSS in a virtualized environment is the estimated load you will have on it. Just as any high-load website, a high disk I/O for instance can and will affect performance on the website itself. Even more so if the VPS environment isn't properly managed or monitored, and you end up on a server node that's already under a high I/O load.

That's also precisely why having those estimates beforehand might help you in choosing the best virtualization platform that would suit your needs.

Also, performance-wise, you might even consider going with IIS7 instead of IIS6. Some tests have shown that IIS7 is able to service up to 30% or more HTTP requests than IIS6 on the same system specs. Given that, you might want to go with a host/virtualization solution that's able to give you a Windows 2008 Server VPS, instead of the more common Windows 2003 Server ones. That, along with the TCP/IP stack improvements in Windows 2008, will give you a nice performance boost.

Wow -- heheheh. That is a grand misconceptions. Just for a little eye-opener, here are some public sites built on Sharepoint:

http://www.wssdemo.com/Pages/websites.aspx
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

This is complete rubbish and a lot of companies use hosted sharepoint as their work force are in different locations - it is a team collaboration tool.

Running WSS 3.0 on a VPS is a great idea. 1GB of RAM is plenty and you can use MSSQL Express 2005.