Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Planet - what's the next best alternative?

I've had my servers with The Planet for years. Used to be really happy with them. Ever since the merger, they seem to have deteriorated over time. Recently, I find the level of support to have become poor.

The redeeming quality is that they have had outstanding uptime over all of these years, and they are always there if you need them in a true emergency - in other words, they always pick up the phone.

I need a company that is comparable in their level of staffing and resources. Who out there is comparable, yet providing better support and overall attitude these days and for the long-haul?

Thanks.

Mike

I moved from The Planet to Softlayer and haven't had a single issue. I've been extremely happy with their service. The two big features that drew me the most was

1) Private network - they have 2 NIC's on each server, one public and one private.. so you instantly have your own virtual rack where bandwidth doesn't count against you for backups, etc.
    2) Free KVM over IP - the planet charged quite a bit for this. It looks like its a $100 setup + $30/month

Their customer service has been great also. I've only had to call them two or three times for account-related questions and a sales inquiry, and there was no phone tree and I went straight to someone answering a phone.. it was a nice change of pace.
    01 Networks / Hosting and Consulting Services
    Pay as you Go hosting -- the cheapest prices in town.
    Zimbra (Network Edition and Open Source) Hosting
    100% full uptime guarantee / 24x7x365 support

The best alternative would be Softlayer.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

You mention support being a big concern, are you looking for a fully managed solution or unmanaged with occasional support as needed?
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

Hey Mike,

I saw your email follow-up about the tickets that were opened over the weekend, and I'm sorry they took so long to get resolved. The process of adding IP space to an account/server is generally very quick and straightforward, so there's no excuse for your tickets to be bounced around between departments. Because the IP audit brought up a few subnets that were not being used on your account, the simple request for an addition became an issue where we had to reconcile the allocated space and complete the addition.

Two tickets were running in parallel about this request, and one was closed to consolidate the communication into the original ticket. I understand that when the second ticket was closed before the IP addresses were added, you felt the issue was unresolved and that we shouldn't have closed the ticket, so I've spoken with support management to ensure that techs explain why duplicate tickets are closed before the issue is resolved ... while having multiple tickets will get more eyes on the issue, it's more difficult for one person/department to own the resolution.

You shouldn't have had to wait as long as you did for the completion of your request, and you can be assured that your tickets have been escalated as high as they can go ... I actually learned about them from an email sent by the VP of Marketing and copied to the VP of Sales and VP of Support. I know that doesn't retroactively remove any of the confusion in the tickets, but it should suggest that we don't believe the response you received satisfactory, either.
    Kevin Hazard
    Director, Digital Content
    SoftLayer, an IBM Companyhttp://twitter.com/softlayer

I've been happy with Softlayer. It appears that customers, if you are a shared host want to be in Softlayer dc.
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 8+ years. | Powerful, reliable network.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.
    █ Cloud VPS | Alpha Reseller | Master Reseller | Reseller | BBB Rated "A+".
    █ 24/7/365 Help desk support | Recurring Affiliate Program available.

Quote Originally Posted by dlewis23 View Post
    The best alternative would be Softlayer.
    I appreciate the feedback, but per your website, you've only been in business since August ... does your history with SoftLayer extend beyond that?

Quote Originally Posted by SingleHopChris View Post
    You mention support being a big concern, are you looking for a fully managed solution or unmanaged with occasional support as needed?
    I am more inclined to go for an unmanaged server with the occasional as-needed support. If I decide to have my server managed, I'm leaning toward an external provider because it would be my expectation that the quality of server management would be better (assuming I choose a quality company.)

I would consider a managed server if it made sense with all things considered. Currently I self-manage and have some occasional contracted admin help.

mrk

Quote Originally Posted by JixHost View Post
    I've been happy with Softlayer. It appears that customers, if you are a shared host want to be in Softlayer dc.
    How extensive is your experience with SoftLayer? How long? How many servers?

Two servers and a vps with them. Im with them for 8 months now.
    JixHost | U.S.A. based hosting & support for 8+ years. | Powerful, reliable network.
    JixHost.com | Instant Activation | Trusted by over 115,000 clients served globally.
    █ Cloud VPS | Alpha Reseller | Master Reseller | Reseller | BBB Rated "A+".
    █ 24/7/365 Help desk support | Recurring Affiliate Program available.

Quote Originally Posted by lbeachmike View Post
    I am more inclined to go for an unmanaged server with the occasional as-needed support. If I decide to have my server managed, I'm leaning toward an external provider because it would be my expectation that the quality of server management would be better (assuming I choose a quality company.)

I would consider a managed server if it made sense with all things considered. Currently I self-manage and have some occasional contracted admin help.

mrk
    IIRC, Softlayer has free normal tickets, and a per-ticket charge if you need specific admin time (managed stuff, app installs, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by KHazard View Post
    Hey Mike,

I saw your email follow-up about the tickets that were opened over the weekend, and I'm sorry they took so long to get resolved. The process of adding IP space to an account/server is generally very quick and straightforward, so there's no excuse for your tickets to be bounced around between departments. Because the IP audit brought up a few subnets that were not being used on your account, the simple request for an addition became an issue where we had to reconcile the allocated space and complete the addition.

Two tickets were running in parallel about this request, and one was closed to consolidate the communication into the original ticket. I understand that when the second ticket was closed before the IP addresses were added, you felt the issue was unresolved and that we shouldn't have closed the ticket, so I've spoken with support management to ensure that techs explain why duplicate tickets are closed before the issue is resolved ... while having multiple tickets will get more eyes on the issue, it's more difficult for one person/department to own the resolution.

You shouldn't have had to wait as long as you did for the completion of your request, and you can be assured that your tickets have been escalated as high as they can go ... I actually learned about them from an email sent by the VP of Marketing and copied to the VP of Sales and VP of Support. I know that doesn't retroactively remove any of the confusion in the tickets, but it should suggest that we don't believe the response you received satisfactory, either.
    Hi Kevin -

I appreciate your dedication and interest-level, and your thoughtful and articulate response here.

If the rest of the employees, and particular management, had the interest level that you do, we'd not be having this discussion.

I believe that the issues at The Planet current stem from a very poor attitude by management. The management individuals I've had discussions with have been rather dismissive. There is a sense of disconnect with both customers and employees. There is also a sense of arrogance.

Remember, Network Solutions used to be the biggest around. They were arrogant. They're no longer the biggest around.

I had two tickets for two different, yet similar requests. One was for pooling IPs between my servers by getting them onto the same VLAN, and the other was for adding a block of new IPs. Both tickets had issues and delays.

I currently have a ticket open on a simple pricing inquiry since Sept 29 - I was told I'd receive a response in 1 or 2 days. FOUR days have now past, so I sent emails to manager contacts I had on hand. This should never be necessary. And this ticket leaves no room for confusion. Nor did my issues back in April which required escalation.

This is the pattern. Degrading response time, degraded level of communication, degraded quality of support, degraded concern for customer satisfaction level and for customer retention.

Nobody stopped and asked me any questions when I just canceled one of my servers and stated that it was because of dissatisfaction and that I was going elsewhere.

Re: Orbit2 - Is this really an improvement? Some things still do not work. Try to order an SSL through it. You cannot.

I tried to attach a word doc to my IP ticket and it did not go through the first time. The support tech advised me to use Orbit 1 instead.

Is this seriously the way to run a multi-billion dollar business? Is it really that hard to build a working website with billions of dollars? Just about any of the nickel-and-dime hosting companies have built better websites than you guys have.

Orbit 2 doesn't do anything better than Orbit 1. It just happens to look a little bit different and less things actually work correctly. This is not representative of a company that cares about the quality of the experience provided to it's customers or the quality of support. This adds inefficiency to the support process on both the client end and on the end of tech support.

The bottom line is that you guys are not getting better - you are getting worse.

The only thing that actually has improved is the pricing. You guys are finally competing on price. However, this is somewhat of a sign of desperation. The company never used to compete on price because you competed on quality. Since the quality level has degraded and your clients are going elsewhere, you are now competing on price. But without getting the quality back to where it was, you will still continue to churn clients and working with lower revenue per customer will continue to lose ground and thus quality will continue to degrade.

Have you ever had the opportunity to use cpanel support? Now there's a company that really cares. You guys should use them as a shining example of how to provide world-class support.

In a nutshell, in my eyes, you guys have a serious management issue. When it feels like management actually cares, perhaps your employees will again begin to care just as much.

mrk

well softlayer didn't attracted me, I am with the planet but not very happy.
    as I was before. I wonder if they can lower there prices and improve support well I still prefer the planet from others.
    for windows hosting I v got a dedicated server with Rackspace, man! they are really
    expensive I do expect them to lower their bills too, I v asked them to add 8 gb ram and they told me the Price for 8g is $109 and Setup fee for this is $729
    can you believe that

try dedicatednow. do check the special deals offered by them
    Top10DedicatedHosting.com Dedicated Hosting

Superior Hosting Solutions, Exclusive Specials on Dedicated Web Server

I don't think The Planet has billion of dollars to spend it would be more like million of dollars unless I am unaware

i had a single box at theplanet for the last three years.i just cancelled last week and moved to webnx.i was paying close to 140 dollars for a pentium 4 with cpanel.i spoke 3 or 4 times with a handful of reps to see if i could get a better server for the same price or a little more.all i got was a flat no.

I showed them links to offers at the dedicated offers section in here.all the reps went on to bash the other companies saying they havent heard of them and if the reps at tp havent heard about the other companies,they probably are fly by night operators.

one smart ass rep even told me that rackspace is the only company which can come close to tps'level of service.

Check out webnx or hivelocity.webnx has a ton of custom configurations at awesome prices.

I had two tickets for two different, yet similar requests. One was for pooling IPs between my servers by getting them onto the same VLAN, and the other was for adding a block of new IPs. Both tickets had issues and delays.

I currently have a ticket open on a simple pricing inquiry since Sept 29 - I was told I'd receive a response in 1 or 2 days. FOUR days have now past, so I sent emails to manager contacts I had on hand. This should never be necessary. And this ticket leaves no room for confusion. Nor did my issues back in April which required escalation.

This is the pattern. Degrading response time, degraded level of communication, degraded quality of support, degraded concern for customer satisfaction level and for customer retention.

Nobody stopped and asked me any questions when I just canceled one of my servers and stated that it was because of dissatisfaction and that I was going elsewhere.

Re: Orbit2 - Is this really an improvement? Some things still do not work. Try to order an SSL through it. You cannot.

I tried to attach a word doc to my IP ticket and it did not go through the first time. The support tech advised me to use Orbit 1 instead.

Is this seriously the way to run a multi-billion dollar business? Is it really that hard to build a working website with billions of dollars? Just about any of the nickel-and-dime hosting companies have built better websites than you guys have.

Orbit 2 doesn't do anything better than Orbit 1. It just happens to look a little bit different and less things actually work correctly. This is not representative of a company that cares about the quality of the experience provided to it's customers or the quality of support. This adds inefficiency to the support process on both the client end and on the end of tech support.

The bottom line is that you guys are not getting better - you are getting worse.

The only thing that actually has improved is the pricing. You guys are finally competing on price. However, this is somewhat of a sign of desperation. The company never used to compete on price because you competed on quality. Since the quality level has degraded and your clients are going elsewhere, you are now competing on price. But without getting the quality back to where it was, you will still continue to churn clients and working with lower revenue per customer will continue to lose ground and thus quality will continue to degrade.

Have you ever had the opportunity to use cpanel support? Now there's a company that really cares. You guys should use them as a shining example of how to provide world-class support.

In a nutshell, in my eyes, you guys have a serious management issue. When it feels like management actually cares, perhaps your employees will again begin to care just as much.

mrk
    Thank you for taking the time in writing this ... I've passed it around to quite a few people today.

I see what you are saying when looking at the IP tickets, but it wasn't as cleanly split as it should have been: The IP order originated in 6048467, but that ticket became the request about moving the VLAN. The second ticket (6049930) was opened as an audit of your IPs, and it ended up also talking about both the IP order and getting the servers on the same VLAN to share the allocation, so there were two issues and two tickets, but both issues were being addressed in both tickets, so there was quite a bit of cross-referencing to get everything straightened out. It's nothing you did wrong ... the two requests were handled poorly because they weren't handled individually and sequentially (the VLAN first, then the IP allocation).

The pricing request was updated internally by finance at 3:23pm today, and the accounting group is responding to it as I type right now. The adjustment was approved, and they're going to get it on your account immediately. When you received notice that the ticket was updated, that was finance's internal approval message with details.

Orbit 2 is a huge project that completely rewrote the way tens of thousands of customers managed their accounts from two very different customer portals (Orbit 1 and ServerCommand). The roll-out process has been extended for Orbit 2 until the major bugs are completely eliminated ... We welcome all feedback at the "Report Portal Issue" link in the header of each page. If you write in, you'll get a response back from someone on our QA team to acknowledge that we have the bug tracked, and we'll update you as soon as it is resolved (or with an ETR).

Orbit 2 was not designed to do anything "better" than Orbit 1 in its introduction ... it's primary purpose was consolidating a splintered customer base on a single account management platform. Looking at it from the perspective of a ServerCommand user and from the perspective of an Orbit 1 user, the reason for the change isn't immediately apparent, and that's understandable ... especially given the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The "broke" part was behind the scenes, and unfortunately, the "fix it" part is most noticeable on your side of the curtain.

In the context of your recent experience, I understand exactly where you're coming from in your perception of the progression of our company, and I wish there were something I could say or do to prove otherwise ... I know if I tried, those would just seem like empty words and actions that don't line up with the way your tickets were handled. I work with more than 500 people, and none of believe your experience was satisfactory. I'm sorry about these issues. Please be sure they are being escalated as high as they can go.
    Kevin Hazard

lbeachmike, I just wanted to say I fully agree with your summary of ThePlanet, it's great Kevin follows up but it shouldn't be necessary.

The chains of management infuriates people and causes totally unnecessary delays, why they still have not got people there to ensure this does not happen is totally beyond me.

I fully agree with the arrogance part, I find more and more they just say "can't be done" or "no". Rather than offer a solution or try to work with the customer.

Now simply due to the overwhelming effort that has to be put in to get things done that we just put up with them. I mean things like console/reboot still don't work for the vast majority of systems we have at ThePlanet and several have incorrect information in orbit but to update these they somehow want you to turn the server offline to get the component details when you can simply provide these details from the system yourselves.

When we are reviewing tickets it's when the customer is experiencing an issue with the provider so we are obviously going to see an overwhelming number of bad in comparison to good but the issues are always the same at ThePlanet -> the chains of management and unnecessary red-tape.

Orbit2 isn't even worth discussing, it is a large undertaking but for the length of time they have had to do it it's genuinely a disgrace. They messed up the implementation the first time around so you would expect it to be nothing short of perfect.

The thing that still baffles me to this day, years later, is why have they still not got a system in place to detect tickets that have been unanswered or are "in-limbo" for days/weeks on end. They should have dedicated people which do nothing but ensure these situations don't arise and if they do, slap whoever created it, get it back on track and provide the customer with a satisfactory resolution.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

Scott -

This is a very accurate assessment. I have had tickets that sit in my account for weeks unclosed. You need to look no further than at how tickets are "managed" to see a perfect demonstration that everything is being mismanaged.

Kevin -

I appreciate the fact that you take the time to respond, and perhaps actually may care more than your peers about customers and the overall direction of the company, but seriously - are you telling us that you guys were unable to test Orbit 2 adequately to determine that SSL orders do not work? If so, why wouldn't something like that be immediately resolved, or simply linked to Orbit 1 functionality which is where I needed to go to complete my SSL order? Why waste the valuable time of your customers and needlessly frustrate them by having them go through a bunch of steps to then discover that the end result is not functional?

Are you telling me that your people were unable to test Orbit 2 to the extent of discovering that services listed under one's servers are incorrect? For example, showing that two of my servers had Alpha monitoring whereas your people were able to easily confirm this was not the case (well, when I saw easily, this was actually the result of two tickets because nothing seems to get resolved in a single ticket any longer.)

Are you telling us that your people were unable to determine that accounts do not show all of one's active services and the associated pricing under the corresponding tab?

Are you telling us that Orbit 2 was satisfactorily tested before thrown into production?

Are you telling us that when these issues are brought to light with your support techs over and over and over that it is such a complex task to fix that you guys not only are unable to fix it, but are unable to communicate to clients that which is broken so they don't waste their valuable time trying to figure out why the listed services are actually not the services they have?

Why is it that a product such as WHMCS, an extremely complex billing system, works so flawlessly operating on a budget and development staff that is likely a fraction of what The Planet has at it's disposal?

Why is it that Cpanel can provide such a spectacular level of free support, that I will go to them each and every time and never waste an ounce of my time asking any questions to The Planet that I can go to cpanel with? How is that they can have a 100% perfect track record of efficient problem solving and clear communication to support their product and associated service and go well beyond the scope of what they are directly responsible for? Are you telling us that The Planet is simply unwilling to hire the same quality level of support techs?

Orbit 2 is a site that a large number of high-school kids could out-code in a matter of a couple of weeks. It is a site that doesn't measure up to what your lower-budgeted competitors have to offer.

How is it that free open source projects such as Gallery, can rewrite their entire product and create an impressive result for FREE in less time than you guys can get a half-working really poorly-done and very buggy Orbit 2 built?

Orbit 2 is a site that does not provide clients with the necessary capabilities and quality level to efficiently manage their services.

What possible excuse could your company have for providing something so poorly done, after so much time, which still simply does not work reliably?

A shining example of the extent of neglect would be your vulnerability scanner, incorporated into Orbit 2. Well, oh, that's right - the vulnerability scanner is no longer supported. I needed to open a ticket to learn that after wasting much time trying to use it.

Yes, it sure is convincing that you guys have your act together. This just shows that not only does the company not value the time and intelligence of it's clients, but it simply doesn't value it's own reputation.

The people working on these things might consider talking to each other so such stupidity does not continue, rather than simply put things in place that does nothing more than generate extra tickets and client frustration.

mrk

lbeachmike you can consider http://www.atjeu.com one of my client is having multiple servers with them since March 2008, never had any problem, support staff is always there to attend you whether it is day or night. Decisions are taken quickly and acted upon swiftly.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

If I were you I'd go to ApertureHost.com. Mike there can hook you up. He colo's all of his servers in a dc about 5 minutes from his house in Houston, TX and he visits it regularly to check up on his equipment. He's a great guy and he's always there when you need him. He actually gave me his cell phone number in the event I ever need anything from him.
    NEPA Fiber
    AS 394868 - Wilkes-Barre, PA
    █ Fiber Internet, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Cloud
    100% Uptime SLA - 24/7/365 Support

Scott -

This is a very accurate assessment. I have had tickets that sit in my account for weeks unclosed. You need to look no further than at how tickets are "managed" to see a perfect demonstration that everything is being mismanaged.

Kevin -

I appreciate the fact that you take the time to respond, and perhaps actually may care more than your peers about customers and the overall direction of the company, but seriously - are you telling us that you guys were unable to test Orbit 2 adequately to determine that SSL orders do not work? If so, why wouldn't something like that be immediately resolved, or simply linked to Orbit 1 functionality which is where I needed to go to complete my SSL order? Why waste the valuable time of your customers and needlessly frustrate them by having them go through a bunch of steps to then discover that the end result is not functional?

Are you telling me that your people were unable to test Orbit 2 to the extent of discovering that services listed under one's servers are incorrect? For example, showing that two of my servers had Alpha monitoring whereas your people were able to easily confirm this was not the case (well, when I saw easily, this was actually the result of two tickets because nothing seems to get resolved in a single ticket any longer.)

Are you telling us that your people were unable to determine that accounts do not show all of one's active services and the associated pricing under the corresponding tab?

Are you telling us that Orbit 2 was satisfactorily tested before thrown into production?

Are you telling us that when these issues are brought to light with your support techs over and over and over that it is such a complex task to fix that you guys not only are unable to fix it, but are unable to communicate to clients that which is broken so they don't waste their valuable time trying to figure out why the listed services are actually not the services they have?

Why is it that a product such as WHMCS, an extremely complex billing system, works so flawlessly operating on a budget and development staff that is likely a fraction of what The Planet has at it's disposal?

Why is it that Cpanel can provide such a spectacular level of free support, that I will go to them each and every time and never waste an ounce of my time asking any questions to The Planet that I can go to cpanel with? How is that they can have a 100% perfect track record of efficient problem solving and clear communication to support their product and associated service and go well beyond the scope of what they are directly responsible for? Are you telling us that The Planet is simply unwilling to hire the same quality level of support techs?

Orbit 2 is a site that a large number of high-school kids could out-code in a matter of a couple of weeks. It is a site that doesn't measure up to what your lower-budgeted competitors have to offer.

How is it that free open source projects such as Gallery, can rewrite their entire product and create an impressive result for FREE in less time than you guys can get a half-working really poorly-done and very buggy Orbit 2 built?

Orbit 2 is a site that does not provide clients with the necessary capabilities and quality level to efficiently manage their services.

What possible excuse could your company have for providing something so poorly done, after so much time, which still simply does not work reliably?

A shining example of the extent of neglect would be your vulnerability scanner, incorporated into Orbit 2. Well, oh, that's right - the vulnerability scanner is no longer supported. I needed to open a ticket to learn that after wasting much time trying to use it.

Yes, it sure is convincing that you guys have your act together. This just shows that not only does the company not value the time and intelligence of it's clients, but it simply doesn't value it's own reputation.

The people working on these things might consider talking to each other so such stupidity does not continue, rather than simply put things in place that does nothing more than generate extra tickets and client frustration.

mrk
    Everytime you post, there are lessons that we, the hosts, learn from them.

I'd say... stick to theplanet, give them other opportunity.

I'm almost sure that they'll start to work in their side to improve the customer satisfaction.

KHazard replied perfectly to the posts, I just hope they're definitely getting passed to all the other theplanet staff.
    Miguel Ângelo - Marketing/PR Bachelor - Need Marketing/IT consultation? Contact me for a quote.
    BackupInstance - Backup Servers and Advanced Solutions/Clustering/High-End Server Configurations

If you are still looking, i'd suggest Limestone networks. They are unmanaged, have great deals, and their support is excellent.

MrGeneral - I've given The Planet a whole lot of opportunity - this decline in service quality began well over a year ago and has been steadily falling. They simply don't know how to do business in today's environment and are operating in yesterday's business environment. They need to realize things have changed and keep pace.

XENnode - I had not yet looked at Limestone - They look like an excellent candidate - indeed their pricing is actually competitive, which I typically find is not the case. Their control panel looks nicely done. If their support is indeed excellent, I'd give them strong consideration. I'm a bit curious of the difference between their standard support and their Premier Support - I don't prefer that approach, but since the cost difference is nominal, perhaps it's what allows them to otherwise be very cost-competitive.

Has anybody else had experience with Limestone?

Does anybody know of a resource that shows the relative size of the various dedicated server providers?

The other thing I was hoping to find was a provider that had DotDefender available. I see that DedicatedNow includes this for free with new dedicated servers. It looks like great security software - unfortunately it is otherwise pricey to obtain per server.

Thanks.

Mike

MrGeneral - I've given The Planet a whole lot of opportunity - this decline in service quality began well over a year ago and has been steadily falling. They simply don't know how to do business in today's environment and are operating in yesterday's business environment. They need to realize things have changed and keep pace.

XENnode - I had not yet looked at Limestone - They look like an excellent candidate - indeed their pricing is actually competitive, which I typically find is not the case. Their control panel looks nicely done. If their support is indeed excellent, I'd give them strong consideration. I'm a bit curious of the difference between their standard support and their Premier Support - I don't prefer that approach, but since the cost difference is nominal, perhaps it's what allows them to otherwise be very cost-competitive.

Has anybody else had experience with Limestone?

Does anybody know of a resource that shows the relative size of the various dedicated server providers?

The other thing I was hoping to find was a provider that had DotDefender available. I see that DedicatedNow includes this for free with new dedicated servers. It looks like great security software - unfortunately it is otherwise pricey to obtain per server.

Thanks.

Mike
    I don't know of any specific resources for judging the size of a host, most often I get potential clients that just ask me how many servers, how many employees, etc, as far as I know, none of that has turned up in a database, so you might have to do the asking on your own.
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

Because, very simply, when a small provider has a transformer explosion in their datacenter, as The Planet did about a year ago, the small provider is going to lack the resources to respond quickly - or at all - to a catastrophic situation.

Less financial resource, less people resource is a disadvantage in catastrophic situations.

Alternatively, if you have only six employees, and you suddenly lose three who decide to go form their own business, you've just lost half of your staff - and potentially the bulk of your experience. If you have a larger staff, this scenario becomes far less likely, although even bigger providers suffer when they lose key staff members.

mrk

They simply don't know how to do business in today's environment and are operating in yesterday's business environment. They need to realize things have changed and keep pace.
    Do you know how to do business/operate as per today's standards? Do you have a redundant/failover multi-server, multi-employee setup with contingency plans? Will your sites be up if your server goes down?

Because, very simply, when a small provider has a transformer explosion in their datacenter, as The Planet did about a year ago, the small provider is going to lack the resources to respond quickly - or at all - to a catastrophic situation.

Less financial resource, less people resource is a disadvantage in catastrophic situations.

Alternatively, if you have only six employees, and you suddenly lose three who decide to go form their own business, you've just lost half of your staff - and potentially the bulk of your experience. If you have a larger staff, this scenario becomes far less likely, although even bigger providers suffer when they lose key staff members.

mrk
    lbeachmike both large and small providers have their own pros and cons, with small providers you get personalised services, with large ones you get more resources as you defined above.

But with a large company they have to have large numbers of clients to keep services economically competitive and that means you as a client becomes just a number.

Now if you want the kind of service you are mentioning, better go with http://www.rackspace.com (BTW even they also get their share of problems sometimes)or alternatively go with several small/large reputed providers and setup a redundant failover system for yourself.

Alternatively catch hold of one of the reputed large datacentre pay them (for example) 20x for the service/product you want, I am sure you will get the quality service that you are demanding.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

I've been around the block once or twice here, and in that time, I've seen hosts approach this kind of thread in a few different ways. The most common practices seem to be on the opposite sides of the spectrum: either posting line-by-line rebuttals or completely ignoring the posts. Knowing that the first option comes off as defensive and argumentative and that the second comes off as negligent and uncaring, having my cursor blinking in the box below "Reply to Thread" is a bit intimidating.

My response to your question about Orbit 2 was really intended to address the concern that Orbit 2 does not do anything better than Orbit 1. The goal was not to convince you that nothing no issues remained nor to suggest that your experience should be devalued for any reason. Similarly, nothing I say in this post will change the fact that our developers are still working on every known and reported issue in Orbit 2.

Are there still bugs? Yes. Are there so many bugs that the entire system should be scrapped and replaced by a contract team of high school kids? No. Until all major issues are completely resolved, bookmark https://orbit1.theplanet.com/.

The initial plan was to decommission the legacy portals a few months ago, but they are still online and will be available until we are satisfied with the replacement. If the current issues in Orbit 2 are a significant cause of frustration, the best route to take would be to forget about Orbit 2 until you hear that the legacy portals are scheduled for a new concrete decommission date (which will likely give you 30-90 more days to transition and test the waters again).

I respect your impression of both Orbit 2 and The Planet's support, though I have a differing and admittedly biased take on both. As I said above, if there were a switch I could flip to immediately resolve every concern you have, I would risk breaking my neck to get to it and flip it. As it is, the concerns you have are legitimate and will take time to completely address, so I (and everyone else here) will continue the work to make sure they get resolved as soon as they can be.
    Last edited by KHazard; 10-12-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    Kevin Hazard

Kevin -

I have really only one single concern.

Quality (and attitude) has, and continues to go in the wrong direction.

I've been with you guys for a very long time. There was nothing to complain about in the past - and a lot for which to give kudos.

I do not see the road being paved back in that direction.

Orbit 2 actually does do something better. When you open a new ticket, it allows you to choose which server the ticket pertains to. And that's where it ends.

Orbit 2 *should* do things better. A response stating that it does not do anything better than Orbit 1 is really a further disappointment.

Why design a new portal that doesn't do anything better?

My point re: Orbit 2 is that it illustrates the way the company is currently doing business - poorly. It illustrates that things are getting worse and not better.

The company has not communicated any plans to do anything better, so why exactly should I believe that this is indeed part of the plan?

So, what's the plan? Are there any improved offerings planned? Or are you going to continue to quietly strip things down by disposing of free services that used to be included, such as the vulnerability scanner?

Your competitors have some really nice offerings.

mrk

I understand what you're saying, and I feel like we're dancing in a circle here. The reason I said

Orbit 2 was not designed to do anything "better" than Orbit 1 in its introduction
    was qualified by the statement immediately following it:

it's primary purpose was consolidating a splintered customer base on a single account management platform. Looking at it from the perspective of a ServerCommand user and from the perspective of an Orbit 1 user, the reason for the change isn't immediately apparent, and that's understandable ... especially given the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The "broke" part was behind the scenes, and unfortunately, the "fix it" part is most noticeable on your side of the curtain.
    I put "better" in quotes intentionally because it was being used to reference the qualitative improvement measures you seem to expect from a customer-facing functionality standpoint rather than the "better" we see from an internal/codebase/management perspective. Reinventing the wheel by starting from scratch is not the most efficient way of going about an upgrade to two different portals, but when your foundation would otherwise be a hodgepodge of poorly documented code written by hundreds of developers over the last ten years, cleaning the slate is the best option.

While the rewrite resolved the internal issues and consolidated two legacy databases of customers to allow everyone to work out of the same portal without imposing mandatory service-affecting maintenance on either legacy customer base, it clearly didn't come without its challenges of working through the stresses put on a system with hundreds of thousands of users (multiple users per customer) and 50,000+ servers being actively managed. The mere fact that Orbit 2 was even undertaken should suggest we want to make the customer experience better. We could keep on adding duct tape and band aids and rubber bands to the legacy portals forever (and it would certainly be cheaper), but ultimately we'd be limited by their abilities to scale and expand as we plan additional functionality. We'd much prefer Orbit 2 to be perfect upon the first time you use it, but if that's too Utopian, we'll deal with the fact that the bugs may be annoying in the short term with a pay-off in the long term instead of sitting on our hands and thinking "this is still good enough."

Maybe the fact that the world of hosting is often dominated by month-to-month contracts suggests customers don't care about the long-term vision, but in order for us to grow from measuring revenue in millions to measuring it in billions (as you alluded to earlier in the thread), these kinds of changes are absolutely necessary.

The fact that your email was seen by the VP of Marketing, VP of Sales and VP of Support before I got to it should demonstrate an underlying attitude of service and improvement. The fact that someone on our team is always on the lookout for poor support experiences to escalate and resolve should show that we care. The fact that we don't want to sit back and rely on portals that are just "good enough" should reassure you that we are investing in the future of our customer experience. If those efforts aren't good enough, hearing me say "The Planet has plans to do things better" isn't going to do anything for you either. But just in case ...

The Planet has plans to do things better.
    Kevin Hazard

I get your points, Kevin.

And here's the bottom line. The Planet communicates exceptionally well, and frequently, with respect to server deals and marketing promotions. When it comes to selling, or when it comes to damage control, you guys seem to be really great communicators.

That being said, proactive customer communication is sadly lacking. Upon the initial H1 outage, you guys took a really long time before releasing information to your clients and in fact I was told on the phone that there was no transformer explosion and that everything was fine - so, this - in addition to my support ticket experiences - suggests that internal communication is poor and at the root of all evil.

Yes, I suppose marketing savvy does make and break businesses moreso than technical savvy. However, if you want to make your existing clients happy enough to remain existing clients, then have the marketing department teach the rest of the company how to communicate with customers.

If you know which Orbit 2 features are still broken, you might want to communicate this so clients don't waste their time.

The managers I previously have had the displeasure of speaking with on the phone were poor communicators. They can also benefit from learning improved communication skill as well.

There is never any sense of the company acting as a team. Never any sense of collaboration. I've spoken with various techs, all of whom are very nice, but I always get very different levels of understanding and entirely different and opposing views. I never get the sense that they collaborate and operate as a team. I've never had somebody say - "Hey, this isn't quite my area of expertise - let me go and bounce this off of the other guys in my group" ... not recently, anyway.

mrk

• SoftLayer
    • LayeredTech

lbeachmike : Be sure if Martin or me saw this type of topic about iWeb, we will send the case to the VP of support, sales and others departement to be an exemple of what NOT to do.. so I'm pretty sure The Planet take this case pretty seriously and try to find the right long term solution.

Quote Originally Posted by lbeachmike
    Remember, Network Solutions used to be the biggest around. They were arrogant. They're no longer the biggest around
    Nice quote!
    Sylvain Delisle
    Community Manager
    iWeb.com

+1 for Softlayer
    Gary Simat
    COLO@ Colocation. Perfected.
    Atlanta - Dallas - Phoenix - Weehawken - Los Angeles - Chicago
    Total Server Solutions - Servers - US Based Support - Server Management

Thanks to everybody who has provided helpful feedback.

KevinH -

Please see my most recent ticket which has now gone for 7 days without any follow-up.

6083317PLNT

Are you telling me that there is no pattern here?

Or, are you telling me that things are improving? Because, unless I escalate tickets, they don't go anywhere.

In fact, even for my other ticket which a tech finally followed up saying "I'm closing this ticket" ... well, that ticket was left open. Looks like your people have a lot of problems managing tickets.

mrk

Softlayer

Thx a lot

Thanks to everybody who has provided helpful feedback.

KevinH -

Please see my most recent ticket which has now gone for 7 days without any follow-up.

6083317PLNT

Are you telling me that there is no pattern here?

Or, are you telling me that things are improving? Because, unless I escalate tickets, they don't go anywhere.

In fact, even for my other ticket which a tech finally followed up saying "I'm closing this ticket" ... well, that ticket was left open. Looks like your people have a lot of problems managing tickets.

mrk
    Maybe they need to develop a better system to handle tickets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast