Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wow, 30meg down, 7meg up cable!!!

I moved into a new apartment today and tested my connection and to my surprise:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/580519706.png

Wow is all I have to say... I called Comcast and they said that they have just upgraded this area to the newest docsis ... yay me!
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Lucky you!

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Michael...

I HATE YOU

I wish charter was cool.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I was surprised because I was told on the phone it would be 6meg (which is 4 meg slower than my old connection)... Needless to say I'm pleasantly surprised.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

It's only 30/7 with PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by timburke View Post
    It's only 30/7 with PowerBoost
    How long does the PowerBoost burst last?
    PowerBoost provides bursts for the first 20 MB downloading and the first 10 MB uploading of a file respectively on Comcast's 6Mbps, 8Mbps, 12Mbps, 16Mbps or *22Mbps High-Speed Internet services.
    Will PowerBoost increase my monthly rate?
    No; PowerBoost is FREE to all 6Mbps, 8Mbps, 12Mbps, 16Mbps or 22Mbps residential Comcast High-Speed Internet subscribers.
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14520

Even if those speeds are only obtained through PowerBoost, its included for free and it provides a nice little boost in speed for a quick and relatively small download (say under 50MB) while allowing the network not to be abused for things such as P2P users taking advantage of "PowerBoost" all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusADMIN View Post
    Even if those speeds are only obtained through PowerBoost, its included for free and it provides a nice little boost in speed for a quick and relatively small download (say under 50MB) while allowing the network not to be abused for things such as P2P users taking advantage of "PowerBoost" all day long.

Meh.. I'll stick with my guaranteed 50/10.

Quote Originally Posted by timburke View Post
    Meh.. I'll stick with my guaranteed 50/10.
    Great point however FIOS Internet deployment is hardly available @ a reasonable price. I'd much rather settle for guarantee 50/10 however I'm fine with TimeWarner/Powerboost until something faster/more reliable is provided at a decent price. Cable Internet is not so good for fast downloading/uploading to begin with as downloads/uploads seem to start fast (power boosting?) but then by the end, have slowed to a crawl. From what I've heard about FIOS Internet, they do not experience this.

Correction: Maybe you don't have FiOS as their fastest package is 50/20
    Last edited by AquariusStorage; 10-01-2009 at 11:51 PM.

I get about 27mbps with powerboost and 16mbps without from comcast. It is much better than the 3mbps I used to get from Qwest.

DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

Quote Originally Posted by mohamoud View Post
    I get about 27mbps with powerboost and 16mbps without from comcast. It is much better than the 3mbps I used to get from Qwest.
    Yeah, that's what I'm getting - it's still much better than the 6meg I was expecting

The 3mbps upspeed is *very* nice because my old connection was only 1.0 or 1.5

remember Comcast's 250gb cap. will switch to FIOS once it's available and already seeing Verizon working around our area on that.

Quote Originally Posted by meyu View Post
    remember Comcast's 250gb cap. will switch to FIOS once it's available and already seeing Verizon working around our area on that.
    I don't do enough downloading to worry about that, it's just nice to have the speed when I *do* download.

Beyond downloading and uploading things as related to web hosting and providing support I really don't download much other than the random program here and there or video/game trailer etc

I am most excited about the up speed, my first "broadband" connection was something like 1.5 down 256kbps up ....... lol DSL

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    I moved into a new apartment today and tested my connection and to my surprise:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/580519706.png

Wow is all I have to say... I called Comcast and they said that they have just upgraded this area to the newest docsis ... yay me!
    Mind running a Ethernet cord over to me

http://www.speedtest.net/result/580592456.png
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

Ah, low blow Mike! Just had to move out of Illy didn't I?
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

I'm at 12 down / 1 up right now with comcast in Memphis.

They're saying that they are going to upgrade that in November to 16 down..not sure if the upload is staying the same or not.

need moar speed!!!

Gotta love the new speeds. I'm envious.

5/1 for me Basic FIOS service ....

http://www.speedtest.net/result/580897025.png

How much do you pay?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

I'm stuck with Roadrunner (TWC), who wouldn't part with upload speed if it meant saving lives. 16 down and 0.49 up, and I pay extra for the upload I have (though I could swear I pay for 768 up). Dysmal.
    FIOS has told me that they can't run here because the local telco (Frontier) won't give up the lines. My buddy that works installing FIOS for them says that's untrue...

[edit]
    Called and found I'm supposed to be seeing 1M up. Maybe this can be fixed, so this thread turned out to be a good thing for me. Thanks!
    Last edited by bear; 10-02-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I'm on Mediacom's 20mb down / 2mb up. Works GREAT for streaming netflix HD on my Xbox 360!

I'm moving at the end of october though, and I'll be stuck with Charter

I wish I could move back to the Minneapolis/St. paul area. Comcast just rolled out their 100mbs down / 15mbps up Docsis 3.0 connections.

Screw you guys lol. Im paying 145 a month for this http://www.speedtest.net/result/581122155.png

THE LOCATION WAS LESS THEN 30 MILES FROM ME.
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Wow that sucks dark..

$150 / month gets you the 50Mbps down with FIOS I think?

Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post
    I site on directly connected gigabit at times, and it all depends on the speed of the servers, speedtest.net results vary greatly as the other end can't really keep up with more than 30mb/s anyway

Sometimes you can get one that can push you 60-80mb, but not often.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I'm stuck with Roadrunner (TWC), who wouldn't part with upload speed if it meant saving lives. 16 down and 0.49 up, and I pay extra for the upload I have (though I could swear I pay for 768 up). Dysmal.
    FIOS has told me that they can't run here because the local telco (Frontier) won't give up the lines. My buddy that works installing FIOS for them says that's untrue...

[edit]
    Called and found I'm supposed to be seeing 1M up. Maybe this can be fixed, so this thread turned out to be a good thing for me. Thanks!
    FIOS has nothing to do with locals, in fact the fiber to the home removes the restrictions of the CLEC from them. however they are going t markets where they are already the phone provider first as they have a proven ROI from existing clients and don't have to fight for them from others.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    FIOS has nothing to do with locals, in fact the fiber to the home removes the restrictions of the CLEC from them. however they are going t markets where they are already the phone provider first as they have a proven ROI from existing clients and don't have to fight for them from others.
    Interestingly, I have a buddy who works in NJ installing FIOS. He told me about Verizon actually owning Frontier, but they don't publicize the connections, to play them off each other in some way. I haven't been able to verify it (or I may have misheard it a bit), but he's trustworthy.
    For where I live, it's probably too small a ROI to consider rolling it out until they are making enough money in larger areas near here first. I may gripe about cable, but I'm happy I at least have that.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast