Looking for a host for a nonprofit

I am developing a site free of charge for a non-profit. At the moment, my concern is finding them hosting. I have looked through here searching for cheap hosts, and I've been looking in the advertisement forum as well.

The site won't have massive bandwidth or space requirements at the moment. I am going to install Joomla, but it will need more space in the future as it will be hosting videos to be downloaded.

I was looking at a lot of cheaper hosts, in the $4 range. Many of them offer 1-5gb of space and 10-20gb of bandwidth. While that seems like a decent amount of resources, they are also going to be buying a domain name.

I was looking at Joomla host reviews, and justhost has a deal for $4 including a domain name, and their "unlimited" space and bandwidth, but the problem is that even if you prepay for 3 years, justhost's regular price is $7, so I am left wondering if after the 3 years they would end up paying $7 for the package.

TL;DR: I am looking for a cheap host, I also need a domain name. My biggest issue with many of the providers I see on these forums and the advertisement forum is that they are small/unknown.

I need a relatively cheap and reliable provider.

if you want to host with justhost keep in mind for the domain you have to pay for year plus and if you want a refund they will keep $20 for your domain
    Inode Hosting - Reliable Web Hosting for the right price.
    Shared & Reseller hosting featuring the industry leading cpanel
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee ,30 Day Money Back Guarantee ,24/7 Support
    Established since 2011

I would strongly advise you purchase your domain name and hosting from separate companies. Get your domain name from places like namecheap, Enom and the like, rather than your hosting company, especially as far as "free" domain names are concerned. This will give you maximum flexibility when it comes to moving your domain should you decide to switch hosts. "Free" domains are only offered on plans that you pay for annually, because domain names are a cost the host has to incur, they are not free, so with annual plans they can afford to pay for the domain. Always purchase monthly, so you can try out the service before making any sort of long term commitment.

Many hosts offer discounts for non-profits, so you should definitely consider contacting them and explaining your situation. This will also be a good way to test their support response times and professionalism. Most of the hosts you will find here on WHT are quite good, due to the strict nature of the rules here. Good luck on your search!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    I would strongly advise you purchase your domain name and hosting from separate companies. Get your domain name from places like namecheap, Enom and the like, rather than your hosting company, especially as far as "free" domain names are concerned. This will give you maximum flexibility when it comes to moving your domain should you decide to switch hosts. "Free" domains are only offered on plans that you pay for annually, because domain names are a cost the host has to incur, they are not free, so with annual plans they can afford to pay for the domain. Always purchase monthly, so you can try out the service before making any sort of long term commitment.

Many hosts offer discounts for non-profits, so you should definitely consider contacting them and explaining your situation. This will also be a good way to test their support response times and professionalism. Most of the hosts you will find here on WHT are quite good, due to the strict nature of the rules here. Good luck on your search!
    Very true. No need to register a domain name with a hosting package.

Did you check out doteasy already?

This organization isn't registered in the US, it is Canadian and is a smaller part of a larger group, so I don't think it would qualify for non profit hosting from most web hosts.

As for domains, my point was to show that justhost has a good deal going on, but that their price seems to jump after the 3 years. That makes me wary of signing up with them, there is no guarantee you can renew for the same price.

At this point, I am also considering 1and1. I have been hosting my personal stuff with them for 5-6 years now, and they are cheap enough, include a domain, and I setup Joomla quickly on my own hosting, but I'm unsure of how big the databases in Joomla get, since 1and1 restricts size to 100 megabytes.

Quote Originally Posted by skomes View Post
    This organization isn't registered in the US, it is Canadian and is a smaller part of a larger group, so I don't think it would qualify for non profit hosting from most web hosts.
    I don't see why the location should be an issue. In our minds a non-profit is a non-profit no matter what country you are with.
    "To see is to see a better way, to perceive any problem clearly is to begin to create its solution. All we need is the wisdom and patience to keep looking and the love to hold what we see up to the light of understanding." ---Laurence Boldt
    F.D.W. Hosting Co.

You will find hosts that are not only cheaper than JustHost, but will provide a better service as they will have hard limits which reflect the cost of the package.

If you find a local hosting provider they may host for free or offer a deal you can't refuse. Check into it!
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation and Dedicated Servers

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustHosting View Post
    I would strongly advise you purchase your domain name and hosting from separate companies. !
    This is not necessarily true and I see this misinformation a lot. Most hosts are 3rd parties to the domain registration process and will register customer's domain name using customer info. There are some unscrupulous hosts that will register a name on a customer's behalf and keep it under the hosting business name, even after customer cancels account. But when the domain is registered under the customer's name there is nothing to fear.

If the host is a registrar also, such as enom and some others, there is nothing to worry about since there is no 3rd party registering the domain on your behalf.

Once the name is registered to the customer there is nothing the host can do with the name. There is no reason to fear anything
    Last edited by Collabora; 10-01-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    When the domain is registered under the customer's name there is nothing to fear.

Once the name is registered to the customer there is nothing the host can do with the name.
    Not quite true. I've had to help customers recover names that had been registered to them and the host changed it during some dispute. The registry turned a blind eye until the true owner produced documentation. Took quite a long time, and the site was down during.
    Rare, perhaps, but not unheard of. I've experienced this and something similar several times over the years. Just me, maybe.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

There is an exception for everything. Then again, maybe the host just plain lost a legit claim.

I don't think this is a rule that is worthy of the fear some hosts here want to instill in others. Nor are there any number of posts here that give evidence to the truth of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FS - Mike View Post
    You will find hosts that are not only cheaper than JustHost, but will provide a better service as they will have hard limits which reflect the cost of the package.
    Do you have experience with them or are you just trying to get them to use your company instead?

Many providers will host Non-profit organizations websites for free. Something to look into. And register the domain name separate from a reputable registrar. This way you don't limit your search options.
    HostingScene - Reliable web hosting since 2003!
    XEN powered VPS - Learn More!
    Nick @ Hostingscene.com - 877-244-5650
    http://www.hostingscene.com

Quote Originally Posted by nerdie View Post
    Do you have experience with them or are you just trying to get them to use your company instead?

Looks like a lot of fluff to me

Check out DreamHost

I believe Dreamhost provides free bussines level shared hosting for registered 401c3 organizations. All you have to do is fax in thei 401c3 tax information to Dreamhost.

Quote Originally Posted by msteudel View Post
    I believe Dreamhost provides free bussines level shared hosting for registered 401c3 organizations. All you have to do is fax in thei 401c3 tax information to Dreamhost.
    Yes I looked into it, but as I already stated in the thread, this isn't an american organization.

I am developing a site free of charge for a non-profit. At the moment, my concern is finding them hosting. I have looked through here searching for cheap hosts, and I've been looking in the advertisement forum as well.

The site won't have massive bandwidth or space requirements at the moment. I am going to install Joomla, but it will need more space in the future as it will be hosting videos to be downloaded.

I was looking at a lot of cheaper hosts, in the $4 range. Many of them offer 1-5gb of space and 10-20gb of bandwidth. While that seems like a decent amount of resources, they are also going to be buying a domain name.

I was looking at Joomla host reviews, and justhost has a deal for $4 including a domain name, and their "unlimited" space and bandwidth, but the problem is that even if you prepay for 3 years, justhost's regular price is $7, so I am left wondering if after the 3 years they would end up paying $7 for the package.

TL;DR: I am looking for a cheap host, I also need a domain name. My biggest issue with many of the providers I see on these forums and the advertisement forum is that they are small/unknown.

love it. i'll tell you if i find a cheap host

Even those big known companies started out unknown and small.
    I think that these smaller companies would cater more to your needs then some of these big guys who wouldn't care if they had one less client.
    "To see is to see a better way, to perceive any problem clearly is to begin to create its solution. All we need is the wisdom and patience to keep looking and the love to hold what we see up to the light of understanding." ---Laurence Boldt
    F.D.W. Hosting Co.

There are hosting companies who will offer a cheaper package to not-for-profit organisations. But probably not at the level (cheap) that you're looking at. If you were going for an expensive package you'd probably get a discount. Still worth looking though - whoever you go with tell them what you do and you might be able to negotiate.