Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by NeutroHost [Nix] View Post
    Unlimited hosting whilst is a marketing gimmick, isn't really all that bad if you have a reliable host (i.e. Hostgator, Just Host, etc).

You will need to go through the TOS properly, most hosts will not allow more than 25% CPU resource usage and 25 mysql connections within 90 seconds, as well as a number of activities (such as file-sharing). But these restrictions are placed so that you do not take down other sites on the same shared server.
    This is also true of hosts that do not offer unlinmited plans. What's the big deal?
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Those who think "unlimited" is the same as "infinite" are knuckleheads -- worse if they also happen to be hosts.

Like everything in life you get what you pay for. In order to be profitable the host has to place a very large amount of clients on one server. I do not like the term unlimited because it is impossible and if you use to much of the server they will close your account. Like other posters said make sure you chose a reliable host and if your site is really important then make sure you get the resources you need.

Quote Originally Posted by jstuckemeyer View Post
    Unlimited bandwidth doesn't really exist. Once you get a busy website going, they are likely to cancel your account. Not really a problem until you get a busy site going and then you can move to a better host.
    But if I'm within the bandwidth limits, still it be a problem.At present i receive a daily traffic of around 1200 visitors and 3500 pageviews with a bandwidth consumption of around 25 GB per month.

It's oversold like crazy is the best explanation

Quote Originally Posted by GigeWeb View Post
    There is a big catch, there is no such thing. They will limit your number of files, take your money and run or something like that. That is considered overselling, alot of companies do and earn big. The average website is less then 5GB in size and uses less than 25GB in bandwidth.
    totally agree

There are a few possible catches.
    1) Don't expect your website to be up most of the time.
    2) Don't expect support to be decent, or you can even expect none.
    3) Don't expect yourself to use up the resources "allocated".

In some rare scenarios, you will expect only the 3rd case. Most new host giving unlimited resources will present you with all 3.

The catch is unlimited space and bandwidth plans do not exist at all. There is always a limit attached to them even if a host provider advertises them as unlimited. This is only a marketing tactic to attract customers. My suggestion would be to stay away from such offers.
    Cloud Hosting - Intelligent, Auto-Scalable & Pay-Per-Use | Near Unlimited Resources
    Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed UK Dedicated Servers
    Complete, Fully Managed Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-W View Post
    The catch is unlimited space and bandwidth plans do not exist at all. There is always a limit attached to them even if a host provider advertises them as unlimited. This is only a marketing tactic to attract customers. My suggestion would be to stay away from such offers.
    The best thing I have seen recently is unlimited space + 50GB. So maybe there is a measure of "unlimited" only that it's not really unlimited. Wonder if anybody falls for that. If you imagine the next "unlimited" host is offering unlimited + xxxGB we might end up with unlimited + unlimited and unlimited powers to it. LOL!

I think while many smaller webhosts that try to offer 'unlimited' resources are running a risky business, larger web hosts can genuinely offer an amount of storage and bandwidth that means the client will never need to worry about their storage or bandwidth usage.

CPU and RAM are other things however, and if you max these out for any period of time at all then you are likely to be in breach of a host's Terms of Service. But if you're max-ing them out regularly/permanently then you should probably have some kind of income that can support a VPS or a Dedicated Server anyway. One or two of the larger hosts have unofficially announced interesting policies about endeavouring to continue host some of these resource-hogging websites at the standard price in order to justify their use of the word 'UNLIMITED'.

So it depends. Have a good look at their Terms of Service and their suspension policy. Have a look at their 'uptime' reputation. Then you'll find out if there really is a catch that matters to you.
    █ wiredupPR
    Public Relations. For Online Businesses.
    Putting our clients ahead of the competition. Find our what we can do for you: getattention@wiredupPR.com

In the internet business always stay away from 2 words
    1. FREE
    2. UNLIMITED
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Your views are incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    I think while many smaller webhosts that try to offer 'unlimited' resources are running a risky business, larger web hosts can genuinely offer an amount of storage and bandwidth that means the client will never need to worry about their storage or bandwidth usage.
    Any web host, large or small, can rightly offer unlimited hosting. The term "unlimited" is not meant to be interpreted as "infinite" or "very large."

The term "unlimited" simply means "no quota." 99.9% of websites are less than 500mb and have low bw requirements. Any site that is compatible with a shared environment will do just as well on a limited plan as an unlimited plan. For example, what is the difference if your 250mb site is on a 1GB plan or an unlimited plan? Either plan is effectively unlimited.

If this 1GB plan is changed to an unlimited plan by the host (by removing the disk quota in plan setup page of control panel) nothing will change with respect the sites on the server.

In either case the host will have to monitor resources.

In one respect you are correct. If the host does not have the knowledge and skills to manage their server outside of a control panel, then they will need to implement a quota system so they can control/monitor a customer's usage. But those unskilled hosts should be avoided for reasons other than their plan descriptions. Nor should it be the unskilled to define what the skilled should do.

CPU and RAM are other things however, and if you max these out for any period of time at all then you are likely to be in breach of a host's Terms of Service. .
    Except for a couple specific variations, the TOS of the unlimited host is virtually the same as the limited host. Both types of hosts will have limitations on CPU and RAM. It only takes a script a few bytes large to bring down the server.

One real problem with unlimited hosting is that it invites the abuser or customer who thinks they can substitute a vps or dedi server for an unlimited plan. This is a problem the limited host doesn't face (as often). But its only a problem for the host without any real skills or knowledge of server and network management outside of a control panel. And as noted above these unskilled hosts should be avoided anyway and not be used to provide the standards for the skilled hosts.

Another real problem is the ignorance of many people, both hosts and customers, who believe unlimited hosting is something it is not nor ever claimed to be. The general definitions should not be defined by the exceptions. Then of course there are those hosts that use this ignorance as a marketing device to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt because they cannot compete otherwise without acquiring the skill and/or resourced to do so honestly.
    Last edited by Collabora; 10-03-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Your views are incorrect.

Any web host, large or small, can rightly offer unlimited hosting. The term "unlimited" is not meant to be interpreted as "infinite" or "very large."

The term "unlimited" simply means "no quota." 99.9% of websites are less than 500mb and have low bw requirements. Any site that is compatible with a shared environment will do just as well on a limited plan as an unlimited plan. For example, what is the difference if your 250mb site is on a 1GB plan or an unlimited plan? Either plan is effectively unlimited.
    I wasn't commenting on the definition of the word unlimited - in fact I've said words to the same effect as you: 'unlimited' means the client will never need to worry about their storage or bandwidth usage. In my opinion and experience larger webhosts can far less riskily (as I said) offer they buy resources at a lower wholesale rate. There will be clients who go above that ceiling and larger hosts are in a better position to facilitate that. I think you've just repeated what I've said minus reference to larger web hosts?

Except for a couple specific variations, the TOS of the unlimited host is virtually the same as the limited host. Both types of hosts will have limitations on CPU and RAM. It only takes a script a few bytes large to bring down the server.
    I never said it was any different, I was just pointing out that though they use the 'unlimited' word used for Disk Space and Transfer, behind that there is likely to be a limit on how much you pound CPU and RAM. Just as there is with most web hosts. Thank you for reiterating my point.

Another real problem is the ignorance of many people, both hosts and customers, who believe unlimited hosting is something it is not nor ever claimed to be. The general definitions should not be defined by the exceptions. Then of course there are those hosts that use this ignorance as a marketing device to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt because they cannot compete otherwise without acquiring the skill and/or resourced to do so honestly.
    Yes, I agree. The 'skill' and 'resources' that (in general) are held by bigger, more 'successful' companies.
    Last edited by Maybe; 10-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    █ wiredupPR
    Putting our clients ahead of the competition. Find our what we can do for you: getattention@wiredupPR.com

I never said it was any different, I was just pointing out that though they use the 'unlimited' word used for Disk Space and Transfer, behind that there is likely to be a limit on how much you pound CPU and RAM. Just as there is with most web hosts. Thank you for reiterating my point..
    But neither you nor anyone else make these types of statements with regard to limited hosting. That you do so only when describing the negatives of unlimited hosting, as if its is peculiar to unlimited hosts, makes an obvious implication.

If I have a 250 mb site on a limited 500mb plan and its using 25% cpu, I will be suspended just as fast as if I was on an unlimited plan. So why don't you ever put up the same warnings for the limited plans here? The reasons are stated in my post above.
    Last edited by Collabora; 10-03-2009 at 02:33 PM.

But neither you nor anyone else make these types of statements with regard to limited hosting. That you do so only when describing the negatives of unlimited hosting, as if its is peculiar to unlimited hosts, makes an obvious implication.
    Fair enough.

But we don't make these kind of 'warnings' about limited hosting because the people looking for limited hosting are tend to be happy to be 'limited' whereas those looking specifically at/for unlimited hosting sometimes have the impression they can knock themselves out. I say sometimes because it isn't all the time. These warnings don't actually apply to many people - who just want to use a normal amount of resources, but they should be made.
    █ wiredupPR

Fair enough.

But we don't make these kind of 'warnings' about limited hosting because the people looking for limited hosting are tend to be happy to be 'limited' whereas those looking specifically at/for unlimited hosting sometimes have the impression they can knock themselves out. I say sometimes because it isn't all the time. These warnings don't actually apply to many people - who just want to use a normal amount of resources, but they should be made.
    Yes. Which is why I mentioned in my original post:

One real problem with unlimited hosting is that it invites the abuser or customer who thinks they can substitute a vps or dedi server for an unlimited plan
    That should be the real warning. But only less than 0.1% of customers require that warning (the abusers won't heed the warning) so its not even that important to mention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12