What server spec would you recommend for running VPS's?

Hi,

I'm currently looking into offering VPS's (had a lot of my clients interested in them), but not to sure on what server spec I should go for.

From past experience, either 8GB or 16GB RAM is recommended - is this true? How many HDD's would you recommend having mounted on the server, how much disk space should each HDD have?

Would RAID1 or RAID5 be sufficient?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Nick

Recently built something high-end for the same purpose as yours, but I recommend you start off with 8GB of RAM, and 4 SATA drives in RAID-10 with a decent raid controller, and a good quad core, as well as Xenserver 5.5 as it's free and very easy to manage.

If it's too hard to handle or afford, you can always resell VPS to your customers.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Ram goes very quickly. On each of our servers we run out of ram WAY before disk space (mainly because disk space is so large these days) which also means the server has lots of resources such as CPU and disk space that are not doing much. Since we do not oversell our space we go for the MAX the server will support ram wise and if it's less then 24gb, we move on to another Motherboard that will.

A little math for you
    Our plans start with 512mb of ram and 20gb disk space.
    If a server has 24gb of ram space that allows us 48 clients per server and just about 1TB of hard drive space and that’s IF they all get the same plan but that never happens because we offer more then 1 type of plan.

As an example we have plans that offer 1024 GB or ram which kills the 48 clients per server. Our average clients per server are 15 with a max of 18 on one server. So you can defiantly tell that our dual quad core servers are heavily under used with only 15-18 VPS clients on them.

Also... depending on what your clients VPS are doing you never want 1 hard drive for all your clients. Spread your clients around to different hard drives to improve hard drive reads and writes across different Hd’s. With only 1 hard drive in the system your bottle neck will be the HD’s and not the ram because the system has to ‘catch up’ with all the work the VPS’s are trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Recently built something high-end for the same purpose as yours, but I recommend you start off with 8GB of RAM, and 4 SATA drives in RAID-10 with a decent raid controller, and a good quad core, as well as Xenserver 5.5 as it's free and very easy to manage.

If it's too hard to handle or afford, you can always resell VPS to your customers.
    I was under the impression that the free version of xen 5.5 does not allow you to use it for profit. You might want to look into that before your caught and charged.

Thanks for the info! It'll only be for a couple of VPS' to start with, then I'll probably look at bigger options.

Say I did have a server that has 8GB RAM and 4 SATA drives, how many VPS would you reckon that server could handle?

I know how virtual servers work, just never got round to selling my own and configuring my own servers, so that side of the "job" is pretty new to me.

it depends what specs your VPS servers will be able to handle.

you should reserve atleaste 512MB of ram for your core operating system and the rest can go to the VM's. So right off the bat you at 7.5gb of ram. It also depends what type of virtualization software you are going to use (xen, openvz, virtualbox).

Quote Originally Posted by Host Our Web View Post
    it depends what specs your VPS servers will be able to handle.

you should reserve atleaste 512MB of ram for your core operating system and the rest can go to the VM's. So right off the bat you at 7.5gb of ram. It also depends what type of virtualization software you are going to use (xen, openvz, virtualbox).
    Thanks for that

What virtualization software would you recommend? I've worked with VMWare before and have used OpenVZ, but not sure what other options are avaliable.

Thanks,
    Nick

I was under the impression that the free version of xen 5.5 does not allow you to use it for profit. You might want to look into that before your caught and charged.
    Using it for internal purposes; nevertheless, thought only the Essentials costs per VM or per server, and you could use the base 5.5 to sell VPS. Might be wrong.

OpenVZ should work wonders though.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

We love the community edition of Xen 3.4.1

very easly done and easy to manage.

Even I would second the thought of having more RAM.
    Ram is very essential for the overall running of the system.
    Even if you have to pay extra for the RAM then please go for 16 GB option

Regards,
    Alons
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

Thanks for your help, I'll give it ago - hopefully I won't get stuck, but if I do I'll come back to WHT haha.

Cheers,
    Nick

One thing I will point out is that hard drive I/O is generally the thing to keep an eye on. If you start with the right base, you can always add RAM, but its a lot more difficult to migrate to faster drives.

My 2p - get SAS drives in RAID 10 from the off, as opposed to SATA.
    Regards,
    Leigh

Host High - reliable UK hosting

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsoftware View Post
    One thing I will point out is that hard drive I/O is generally the thing to keep an eye on. If you start with the right base, you can always add RAM, but its a lot more difficult to migrate to faster drives.

My 2p - get SAS drives in RAID 10 from the off, as opposed to SATA.
    Yeah, I can see why. What's the difference between SAS and SATA, sorry?
    EntireTech Hosting
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Stream Hosting | Virtual Servers

Follow us on Twitter!

The internals of the drive is SCSI - you'll get 10k and 15krpm options. Its false economy to skimp on drives, because that is what will kill your server once it gets more customers on it.
    Regards,
    Leigh

Ah, Okay! I get understand. I'll take a look around and see what my supplier can offer. Thanks Leigh & everyone else!
    EntireTech Hosting
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Stream Hosting | Virtual Servers

Follow us on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post

Does Xenserver allow for separate accounts to manage individual or sets of vps's, or does it assume only a single 'root' user to manage everything?

No Problem!
    Regards,
    Leigh

A dual quad core machine with at least 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB hard drives w/RAID (RAID 10 if you can afford it, RAID 1 or 5 otherwise) would be ideal. Like others have mentioned, you may want to consider getting fast drives as high disk I/O will slow down your system as you put more clients on that server.

We love the community edition of Xen 3.4.1

very easly done and easy to manage.
    Can you tell how do you manage it easily?

Do you use some kind of interface or command line only?