Why is it that Webhosting is going

to unmetered bandwidth when ISP's are going to metered bandwidth.
    http://www.techspot.com/news/36409-v...bandwidth.html

Seems kind of backwards doesn't it?

Oh darn, residential bandwidth prices are raising.

Lucky for me our rate with Verizon is locked in for two years, hehe.

If Verizon raises their prices by more then $10.00 per month, there will be NO reason to stay with them, as you can get the same thing with cable.

Not to mention, if they see a increase in bandwidth, maybe they should consider expanding their bandwidth streams and take the loss for a year so that their customer base can expand indefinitely.
    Not sure what to put here :-P

Limiting usage on the web surfer's side could actually work in the advantage of unlimited/unmetered offers at the other end.

they should consider expanding their bandwidth streams
    Which is probably why they need extra funds. You can milk a cow only for so long before you need to start feeding it again. That day has probably come.

Thankfully my ISP (Qwest) has not metered my usage, I highly doubt they will anytime soon due to all the 2 year contracts they get for a guaranteed price.

Already there with my ISP's.

My cable connection gives 125GB and anything over they charge at $1/GB. If you're on the business connection equivalent they want $10/GB.

DSL connection has 200GB and anything over they charge at $0.25/GB. I have no idea about the business connection version never checked. However if Bell gets it's way it'll be a 60GB cap and insanely high overages.

In a lot of the cases with this they also are content providers via their own tv service. So it's a real conflict of interest as they can shutdown the use of online variations of their services.

It's also interesting that they want to charge a base fee and not always bill on usage. So the guy down the street using 1GB of bandwidth will pay the same as the guy using 100GB. So it's only usage based billing after x amount. You get no refund or credit for being under your usage. Of course at one time the 1GB usage guy would cover the higher usage user. So it worked sort of like web hosting overselling in the end it would all work out.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

ISPs have to compete, because you can move your data/site anywhere in the world fairly easily to get a better price. ISPs, you have 2-3 choices tops. Welcome to price-fixing land.

It makes sense especially since Video is a lot more popular and that gaming uses more and more bandwidth.

I'm sure the average users bandwidth usage has changed a lot over the past few years because of this stuff.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrock1 View Post
    It makes sense especially since Video is a lot more popular and that gaming uses more and more bandwidth.

I'm sure the average users bandwidth usage has changed a lot over the past few years because of this stuff.
    Yep, and fast broadband access goes along side that too. It's not surprising the ISPs are pulling back a tad. Makes you wonder about the future of the net though, with video being dominant with the net becoming the new delivery platform for such.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

My connection allows for 95GB. Theres overage charges but they dont charge more than $25 so I pay for my monthly bill + $25 and I've technically got "unlimited" bandwidth.

Typically I use about 170GB per month with overages of about $150 adjusted to the cap of $25
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Lucky for us here in the Philippines as bandwidth caps are not implemented.
    iRock Web Hosting Solutions - Your Onshore/Offshore Hosting Solutions
    Sales/Technical Support: https://www.irockwebhosting.com/support/
    Website URL: http://www.irockwebhosting.com

Wow, luckly I too don't have metered bandwidth on Internet usage. Being an end-user of course I'd rather not see metered bandwidth nor on any of my hosting accounts.

Recently I've also been checking out 3G wireless cards for computers, most of them seem to have a limit of about 5GB of bandwidth which is way to low. I found only one company that has unlimited bandwidth but they don't allow you to be connected 24/7 all month long - at some point you are required to disconnect and reconnect to their 3G network. Weird but that might work.

Home connections using optimum boost keep me happy, 30mb down 5mb up. Lovin it.

Me and my friend Ian were talking about this, it's really funny, the gimmicks and all.

I guess Verizon is planning this to offset the costs of all the frivolous lawsuits they have going on, like the one with OnlineNIC LOL

Such a thing would only work to enhance Comcast's stranglehold on the US market (well the north east like Mass, New Hamp, and the main area at least).
    Cpanel/WHM PHP Perl Ruby Full Time Support
    LCWSoft - Canada web hosting (based in Newfoundland) since 2007
    Servers based in the US and Canada (Uptime Report)

AT&T Uverse is incredible. Quite surprising, considering AT&Ts normal shenanigans...

Quote Originally Posted by Techark View Post
    to unmetered bandwidth when ISP's are going to metered bandwidth.
    http://www.techspot.com/news/36409-v...bandwidth.html

Seems kind of backwards doesn't it?
    I don't know how students gonna survive if all ISP companies start to calculate the bandwidth...