Different level/tiers/class of Hosting Company advice

My startup company has tasked me to look for a hosting company to get dedicated servers for their production (Web, DB) and operation (email, AD, etc) servers, 9 servers in total. I'm new to this whole industry and finding this forum really help me point myself in the right direction given so much junk and "partial" review sites out there.

I was able to get great reviews and recommendations off this forum but since I'm new, one area I'm not clear on is the different levels/tiers/class of hosting companies. For example, from what I am reading, Gigenet & Rackspace seem to be on a high end scale while CoreNetworks is on the low end but still excellent. Where would others like LiquidWeb, SteadFast, Softlayer fit in?

Can someone help me break it down into classes like cars such as budget/mid size/luxury or is it even possible? I'm just trying to get a sense of how to compare these companies as I'm getting quotes from them. These are some of the companies I'm looking at:
    LiquidWeb
    Gigenet
    Softlayer
    SteadFast
    ThePlanet
    Colocrosing
    Iweb
    DedicatedNow
    CoreNetworks
    Cartika
    Servint
    SingleHot

They all seem to have good reviews. I know some are truly managed and some just leave everything to you. I'm probably looking for something in between that has decent bandwidth and speeds. Our site won't be a public site so no large traffic requirements but we are spread out from NY to LA. We probably don't need the fastest speeds but somthing reliable. We are also in the health care industry so HIPAA maybe important but I'm still trying to determine that.

Thanks,
    Ed

I'd place Liquidweb, Softlayer, Steadfast, Servint and Gigenet in luxury.
    IWeb/TP would probably be mid.
    Corenetworks in budget.

Consider searching this forum for "HIPAA" - I'm sure there's been a few discussions on it

Hello,
    The first think you need to consider is "HIPAA" do some research on that, find out which companies are compatible with it.

I am not sure if HIPAA will be your requirement or not. Check that out first.

I am not an expert on HIPAA but it is only a requirement where patient information is involved, to the best of my understanding.

While it doesn't have to be a primary requirement for you, selecting a host on the east coast may have some benefits for you as well.

In regards to breaking down your list into the categories you mentioned. overall it would be difficult because most of the specific companies you chose offer something in each category and cannot really be put into one niche. A better bet would be to send your requirements to a few that you shortlist, or if you have time, all of them, and find out if they can meet your needs and at what cost. Factor that in with their response time and your research and hopefully a few will stand out and you can narrow it down from there.
    Chris Larkin
    Senior Hosting Consultant
    SingleHop Managed Dedicated Servers
    http://singlehop.com

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    I'd place Liquidweb, Softlayer, Steadfast, Servint and Gigenet in luxury.
    IWeb/TP would probably be mid.
    Corenetworks in budget.
    I'm curious to know why we are in the mid category
    Sylvain Delisle
    Community Manager
    iWeb.com

Quote Originally Posted by fbc View Post
    I'm curious to know why we are in the mid category
    so am I, I wouldnt have had you that high (just joking, please dont get all offended - heck, the person in question didnt even rank us - so, what does that mean? )

Honestly, each provider on that list has their positives and negatives... maybe narrow down your list a bit and contact each provider with your requirements and see what they can put together for you.. make sure you explain the level of management you actually want, and list your priorities from a business perspective and make your decision based on solutions companies engineer for you..

hope this helps and best of luck in your search..

I think this can be only done by personal opinion.

I would sick iWeb in luxury simply because I have never seen a more stable network. Besides the DDOS attack thing a few weeks ago, I have had 0 downtime in the 18 months that I have been with them.

There portal might not be as great as say softlayer but there network is just as good, if not better simply because it has not gone down.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by hoppint View Post
    My startup company has tasked me to look for a hosting company to get dedicated servers for their production (Web, DB) and operation (email, AD, etc) servers, 9 servers in total. I'm new to this whole industry and finding this forum really help me point myself in the right direction given so much junk and "partial" review sites out there.

I was able to get great reviews and recommendations off this forum but since I'm new, one area I'm not clear on is the different levels/tiers/class of hosting companies. For example, from what I am reading, Gigenet & Rackspace seem to be on a high end scale while CoreNetworks is on the low end but still excellent. Where would others like LiquidWeb, SteadFast, Softlayer fit in?

Can someone help me break it down into classes like cars such as budget/mid size/luxury or is it even possible? I'm just trying to get a sense of how to compare these companies as I'm getting quotes from them. These are some of the companies I'm looking at:
    LiquidWeb
    Gigenet
    Softlayer
    SteadFast
    ThePlanet
    Colocrosing
    Iweb
    DedicatedNow
    CoreNetworks
    Cartika
    Servint
    SingleHot

They all seem to have good reviews. I know some are truly managed and some just leave everything to you. I'm probably looking for something in between that has decent bandwidth and speeds. Our site won't be a public site so no large traffic requirements but we are spread out from NY to LA. We probably don't need the fastest speeds but somthing reliable. We are also in the health care industry so HIPAA maybe important but I'm still trying to determine that.

Thanks,
    Ed

You forgot to mention Hostway in the first 3-4