Question about shipping servers overseas

Hi,

I built a server that I'm sending to a DC in Sweden soon, and I'm wondering about the logistics of sending a server overseas, is there anything I need to know about in terms of dealing with customs etc? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
    - Chris

Hello, I never sent a server to sweden yet but make sure you fill in the correct amount on the customs paper.

From experience filling a detailed declare paper for customs helps speed things up a great deal.

Cheers and good luck.

You might want to check that there are no export/import restrictions on any of the technology in the server. For example, you can't export servers with encrypted drives to Iran. Since Sweden isn't a member of the so-called Axis of Evil, you shouldn't have a problem, but I'd double check just to be safe.

I found this handy link on UPS' website ups.com/globaladvisor and it mentions nothing about servers in the restricted commodities section so hopefully thats accurate. Also by the looks of it, the only document required is this Invoice (which I'm assuming is for customs?). Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

- Chris

Just be clear about any import duties you may have to pay. I know from experience that although technology/gadgets are much cheaper in the US when you've factored in the duty it works out more expensive. Granted, this was importing into the UK so you'll need to check what Sweden charges.
    Stephen Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_tanks View Post
    You might want to check that there are no export/import restrictions on any of the technology in the server. For example, you can't export servers with encrypted drives to Iran. Since Sweden isn't a member of the so-called Axis of Evil, you shouldn't have a problem, but I'd double check just to be safe.
    Axis of evil doesn't exist anymore. Its was a term that W. Bush invented to justify countries that had weapons of mass destructions and go to war. Iran, North Korea and Iraq.

8 years later, we all now Iraq never had such weapons (they are still looking for them). Its was a lie. So the Axis of evil vanished with it as it never existed anyway.

I dont think there are any problems to send servers overseas. Just make sure you ask the DC in Sweden regarding custom controls there, im sure they had clients in the past that shipped servers, so they can assist you on that. Shipping it out will not be a problem, but the details you need to know are when it arrives to Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by PYDOT View Post
    Axis of evil doesn't exist anymore. Its was a term that W. Bush invented to justify countries that had weapons of mass destructions and go to war. Iran, North Korea and Iraq.

8 years later, we all now Iraq never had such weapons (they are still looking for them). Its was a lie. So the Axis of evil vanished with it as it never existed anyway.
    Yeah yeah, spare me the political lectures. It was actually a Canadian named David Frum who coined the phrase "Axis of Evil". He was one of Bush's hired help.

In any case, for exporting certain technologies like encryption there are laws regulating its transfer to places like Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.

Sweden is one of the more liberal democracies around, so I doubt there are any such restrictions, but in the course of doing due diligence is doesn't hurt to check.

You can send the server through UPS / DHL. It works completely fine. Takes around 2-3 days.
    Something you should keep in mind is that the reciever in Sweden might have to pay the customs there depending on the cost of the server.