AltusHost Review

http://altushost.com/

-One time, their servers got hacked because of poor security. The hacker put a index.html into everybody's shared hosting which was over 1000 people. This was what the index.html showed: http://i26.tinypic.com/2dr8ac7.jpg It was fixed after 6 hours.

-Pricing is decent and affordable. No complaints about that.

-Support team is pretty slow. They respond with "I am checking this and I'll update you shortly." And by "shortly", they mean a whole 24 hour or more. When they posted that, it was "19 Sep 2009 12:40 AM". They respond back on "20 Sep 2009 5:06 AM". Around 29 hours to be exact.

-Servers are just HORRIBLE! Lots of lag and high loads and etc.
    Here is a snippet from alertra.com on my website.
    2009-09-11 19:14:24 EDT Oklahoma City USA OK 9.2 19.86
    2009-09-11 19:14:24 EDT Chicago USA OK 9.2 9.73
    2009-09-11 19:14:24 EDT Sydney AUS OK 9.2 7.07
    2009-09-11 19:14:24 EDT Shanghai CHN OK 9.2 5.96
    2009-09-11 19:14:24 EDT Hong Kong CHN OK 9.2 5.90
    2009-09-11 19:14:24 EDT Las Vegas USA OK 9.2 5.88
    2009-09-11 19:14:24 EDT Orlando USA OK 9.2 5.86
    2009-09-11 19:14:24 EDT London GBR OK 9.2 5.76
    2009-09-11 19:14:24 EDT Atlanta USA OK 9.2 5.85
    Load at one time I saw
    11.92(4 cpus)
    -They keep saying that the server will get "better" but never gotten better over a period of 1 month.

Dear Customer,

In a continuing effort to improve our system we are planning an upgrade that will increase the capacity of our network. This upgrade will be performed in a maintenance window starting on Thursday August 20th, 2009 up to Monday August 24th, 2009.
    During this maintenance window, you will experience an interruption in service while we complete the maintenance activities; interruption is expected to be less than two hours however, due to the complexity of the work, your downtime may be longer (up to approximately four hours) as this is a relatively complex upgrade.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patronage.
    3 days later...

Dear customer,

Thanks for your patience during the whole day while we were working on our maintenance. The upgrade should have been completed and we will still watch everything over the weekend. Therefore, the whole network maintenance should be fully accomplished an Monday August 24th, 2009.

Nevertheless, the large downtimes of your hosting service(s) should now be over.

In case you still have problems please contact us by ticket, so that we can have a look at it.

We apologize again for all inconveniences and thank you for your patience.
    And after all that..Server has STILL been constantly lagging and horrible load times.

Dear customer,

Please accept our apologies because of slow load of your sites and small downtime at times.
    Our mysql server has been making high CPU load, what constantly kept overloaded our server.
    We've stabilized load for now, but it's not long term solution, and unfortunately we cannot guarantee you full stability until we do not get new server with 2x more power.
    We already ordered that server, and waiting our hardware supplier to deliver it to us, we honestly hope it gonna to happen before end of the week.
    If we do not receive our new server, as we planned, we will split some accounts between our existing shared hosting servers and optimize CPU usage.

We fully understand how you are frustrated with this, therefor to keep you happy and keep you as our customer, we offer 30% discount for next month of hosting. Just please email us once you get invoice for next month, so we can discount manually.

Once more, please accept our deeply apologies, and be patience a little bit more, we doing our best to stabilize, and back this server in normal ASAP.

Don't hesitate to contact us for any further questions.
    This continued all the way until about September 15th where I just could not take it anymore and decided to pack my files and leave to another host.

Overall: 5.5/10.
    Not that great of a hosting. Not that decent either. "Below Decent"

Ouch, sounds like you've had quite the time with them. What you're describing is quite unfortunate, hopefully they can get it under control. Good luck with your new host!

This is not the worst i've seen, vps-hosting.ca server load went up 80.00+.

Quote Originally Posted by mczy View Post
    This is not the worst i've seen, vps-hosting.ca server load went up 80.00+.
    Going that high due to a poor script or a spammer trying to get mail out is understandable but if it's a *sustained* 80+ that would be a major issue.

As for the original poster, any reason why you haven't chosen another more reliable provider?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Going that high due to a poor script or a spammer trying to get mail out is understandable but if it's a *sustained* 80+ that would be a major issue.

As for the original poster, any reason why you haven't chosen another more reliable provider?

i already have. you should try reading the bottom of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by hypebeast View Post
    i already have. you should try reading the bottom of my post.
    What I meant to ask was, why you kept giving them more time and waited so long. Sorry I was just trying to be brief and I guess I cut off my own point a tad bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    What I meant to ask was, why you kept giving them more time and waited so long. Sorry I was just trying to be brief and I guess I cut off my own point a tad bit.
    when they kept telling me, "load has gotten better" or "your website is functioning properly now" or "we will add 2x hardware power", i keep hoping that things would get better but that does not seem to be the case after a 1 month span.

when they kept telling me, "load has gotten better" or "your website is functioning properly now" or "we will add 2x hardware power", i keep hoping that things would get better but that does not seem to be the case after a 1 month span.
    I see, so you were just giving them a chance to make it right - if only more hosting customers were as patient as you

I am sorry that my original response was too short for my point to come across.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Looks like the server was oversold. Maybe you should have asked them to move you to a different server with lower number of accounts when you first saw the high load. Btw where are you hosted now?
    James B
    WWW.EZEELOGIN.COM |Setup your Secure Linux SSH GatewayMEET PCI DSS & ISO 27001 Compliance|Manage & Administer Multiple Linux Servers Quickly & Securely.

Quote Originally Posted by BarackObama View Post
    Looks like the server was oversold. Maybe you should have asked them to move you to a different server with lower number of accounts when you first saw the high load. Btw where are you hosted now?
    i did request them to do that but they moved me to another overloaded server. im hosted with justhost atm.

Sorry to hear your bad experiences. Hope your new host will provide you a satisfactory service. Come back with justhost review after a couple of months.

This continued all the way until about September 15th where I just could not take it anymore and decided to pack my files and leave to another host.
    You made the right choice. It sounds like you were patient with them and that they were making an effort to right it, but it's like a product still in the alpha stages, just definitely not ready for the consumers yet.