Thread: Redemption Fee?

Redemption Fee?

Relatively new to starting a website, etc. I am with iPower(18 months), and have aproblem with my web name. I transferred it to them, and in August they sent me a note saying to renew my Domain Privacy. I thought that meant Domain renewal, which they are saying, is something different. They are saying to pay a $160 redemption fee, plus a renewal fee to get my site up again. This is pretty new to me, and if I need to change my site name, fine, but, am not payiing $160 to get it out of limbo. Haven't heard back from them, and am wondering if it should be a problem with the Host(iPower), to simply register and use another name, so I can continue my account. I have a hosting plan with them for another 3 months. Any help is appreciated.

Are you sure it's not a spam email that sent from someone else under the name of ipower?

This was in response to a "Ticket"(As they refer to it), that I submitted, when unable to access my account.

Still wondering about the difference between domain privacy and renewal.

Well, after looking through emails, I realized that i day before the domain was to expire, there was an automatic payment for"Domain Privacy", which I assumed was the renewal. iPower says it's different, but hasn't explained why.

Quote Originally Posted by ouiareborg View Post
    Well, after looking through emails, I realized that i day before the domain was to expire, there was an automatic payment for"Domain Privacy", which I assumed was the renewal. iPower says it's different, but hasn't explained why.

It's a funny thing that they would take a payment for domain privacy when there is no domain to keep private. Are you sure that it is not a combined payment for both, and that they didn't screw up?

If you are still puzzled at the difference, then you would need to look up the dictionary definitions of renewal and privacy. They are not the same thing.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Now know the difference, after looking it up. Yes, they took the payment a day before it expired. Well, a learning experience. Did some googling, and it seems like this isn't an isolated incident for iPower customers. They seem to have a less than stellar customer service record. Am now looking for a different Host. Fortunately, I wasn't married to the name.

Never reg your domain with your webhost. Read this thread.. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=564900
    Signature Under Construction.

Yes never register the domain with your web host if they are a reseller.

redemption fee can be negotiated with them. Please mention them they are asking too much and you are willing to pay $80. Double more than what it costs to them
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.