Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte Colo?

Charlotte Colo?

Hey all,

Are there any datacenters besides Peak10 and Caro.net in Charlotte? I'm scouting out some pricing on colocation. I'm really close to Charlotte, so I'd like to remain in Charlotte, but UberBandwidth in Asheville is definitely making me think about them.

Do ya'll have any recommendations? Are there any datacenters south of Charlotte?

Thanks!
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

113 N Myers - space available from TelX and Digital Realty Trust, i think

125 N Myers - http://www.carrierhotels.com/propert...le/index.shtml
    Tranquil Hosting

113 N Myers - TelX

Thanks Mark! This is in the heart of charlotte isn't it?

It doesn't look like hosting providers fit into TelX's business model. Do ya'll know of any datacenters in the top part of South Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Bobby View Post
    It doesn't look like hosting providers fit into TelX's business model. Do ya'll know of any datacenters in the top part of South Carolina?
    Why do you say that? Power density?

Quote Originally Posted by voipcarrier View Post
    Why do you say that? Power density?
    That's according to the FAQ on their website. They say it's due to power, and cooling.

Thanks! I'm checking it out. Right now, for NC, I think I've gotten it down to either Caro.net or UberBandwidth. I prefer Caro, but we'll have to see how some things go.

Thanks! I'm checking it out. Right now, for NC, I think I've gotten it down to either Caro.net or UberBandwidth. I prefer Caro, but we'll have to see how some things go.
    I highly recommend Caro from the two there

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzServers-J View Post
    I highly recommend Caro from the two there
    I've worked with Caro before on the dedicated server side, and I'm very interested in the colo side. I'll let you guys know once the decision has been made.

I will second Caro there. When contacting them, look for Jason Brozena to your needs. He's present at WHT as well as some other Caro reps.

Quote Originally Posted by iptelligent View Post
    I will second Caro there. When contacting them, look for Jason Brozena to your needs. He's present at WHT as well as some other Caro reps.
    I talked with Jason, but he really handles the Dedicated side of Caro, not the colo side.

I'm not sure if Caro will work out. Their pricing compared to UberBandwidth in Asheville NC is significantly higher. We're talking Caro is about ten times higher than Uber.

I want to be in Charlotte for various reasons, but I'm not sure if it's worth the premium cost to be in Charlotte.

Charlotte colocation

Try charlotte colocation. I belive its charlottecolo.com

I apologize for jumping in here, but I recommend getting a remote IP/KVM setup like Sun's LOM, HP's iLO, or the add-in cards for most of the SuperMicro systems.

These are dedicated "service processors" that allow you to remotely connect to the console and control things as if you are actually there in front of the machine, including being able to get into the BIOS. They also let you turn the machine off and on.

That way you won't have to worry too much about where the system is located. Add redundant power supplies and the likelihood of a failure that will require you to drive out is lowered further.

The SuperMicro add in card is about $100; the HP and Sun boxes have it included in the price of their hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZillNet View Post
    I apologize for jumping in here, but I recommend getting a remote IP/KVM setup like Sun's LOM, HP's iLO, or the add-in cards for most of the SuperMicro systems.

These are dedicated "service processors" that allow you to remotely connect to the console and control things as if you are actually there in front of the machine, including being able to get into the BIOS. They also let you turn the machine off and on.

That way you won't have to worry too much about where the system is located. Add redundant power supplies and the likelihood of a failure that will require you to drive out is lowered further.

The SuperMicro add in card is about $100; the HP and Sun boxes have it included in the price of their hardware.
    I appreciate the recommendation, but really KVM/IP doesn't matter. I want to be located in Charlotte for other reasons. I appreciate it though.

Hosted Solutions has two DCs(one Downtown and one SW - Steele Creek area) in Charlotte.

There's a Level3 facility on Rose Lake Dr. on the west side of town near the airport. I don't know if they still have space, but Hosted Solutions is located inside Level3 and I believe they do still have space available with fairly decent pricing. Ask for Josh and see what he can do.

If you'd consider 2 hours to the west, Netriplex (Uberbandwidth.com) has a nice little facility in Asheville. We're planning to colo some gear with them as a hot-standby site for replication of critical services.

Thanks for the latest recommendations. I'll talk with them on Monday. For fairly decent pricing, what kind of pricing is that?

Netriplex, Uber, has definitely been on my radar because they are so cheap. At the same time, Charlotte is less than 1 hour away for me, while Uber is 3 hours away.

Hosted Solutions quoted us in-line with the market. I'd have to dig for the specifics, but I do remember it being on-par with expectations.

My only gripe with Uber is their plate glass exterior on the front. After getting in the front door, you can look into the datacenter floor through additional glass. Someone could conceivably drive their car through the parking lot, across the grass, through the plate glass front, through the glass window looking into the DC floor, and right into the cabinets. I didn't try it myself, but I'd imagine one could see the DC floor from the outside world, just by peeking through the windows-- especially at night.

I prefer DCs with an all-concrete exterior on all sides, but as a backup facility they'd be fine for our needs.

You could try Hosted Solutions, hostedsolutions.com. They have two locations is Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by TECHSYSPOWER View Post
    You could try Hosted Solutions, hostedsolutions.com. They have two locations is Charlotte.
    It looks like I'm stuck in a 3-year contract with HostedSolutions but it'll be a happy day when I finally get to leave them. I wouldn't recommend HS to anyone. Though the service is good, they nickel and dime you every chance they get - they weren't always like that. It seems to have started when they were acquired by ABRY Partners back in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    Though the service is good, they nickel and dime you every chance they get
    Can you elaborabe on that? At one time, they were on our short-list of providers to consider for a seondary (out-of-region) facility.

If they're starting to charge for silly things like pushing the reset button once in a blue moon, I'd sure like to know.

Have you looked at Atlanta? Less than 3 hours from Charlotte. Lots of options there.

Quote Originally Posted by wildhorseharry View Post
    Have you looked at Atlanta? Less than 3 hours from Charlotte. Lots of options there.
    Mmmm.... actually closer to 4 hours in traffic from "somewhere inside Charlotte" to "somewhere inside Atlanta" like 55/56 Marietta. Would depend on whether the OP meant he was really close to CLT on the west side, or the north or east side. Anyway...

I don't speak for the OP, but speaking personally, I would never put my primary gear more than 30-45 minutes away unless you have extremely reliable remote hands always available. Even remote hands are not 100% reliable 100% of the time, and I (as someone with a deep financial investment in the company) insist on being able to personally lay hands on the gear quickly in an emergency.

Conversely, it's mandatory that secondary (disaster recovery) gear be at least 6 hours away; the point being to have it completely out of the region so one catastrophe does not wipe out both centers. (but still within a 1-2 hour plane ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    Mmmm.... actually closer to 4 hours in traffic from "somewhere inside Charlotte" to "somewhere inside Atlanta" like 55/56 Marietta. Would depend on whether the OP meant he was really close to CLT on the west side, or the north or east side. Anyway...

I don't speak for the OP, but speaking personally, I would never put my primary gear more than 30-45 minutes away unless you have extremely reliable remote hands always available. Even remote hands are not 100% reliable 100% of the time, and I (as someone with a deep financial investment in the company) insist on being able to personally lay hands on the gear quickly in an emergency.

Conversely, it's mandatory that secondary (disaster recovery) gear be at least 6 hours away; the point being to have it completely out of the region so one catastrophe does not wipe out both centers. (but still within a 1-2 hour plane ride)
    I'm based about 30 to 45 minutes south of Charlotte, which is why I wanted to be in Charlotte.

Like you said, I want my primary equipment close. We really like Caro, my CTO and I took a tour of it. It is substantially more expensive than other DC's like Uberbandwidth, but the distance is a key factor.

Our goals would be to use Caro primarily, with a DR site in Uberbandwidth.

I'm based about 30 to 45 minutes south of Charlotte, which is why I wanted to be in Charlotte.
    In that case, have you checked around Columbia? I don't know of any facilities off-hand, but in a city of that size it wouldn't surprise me if a local ISP offers colo.

Maybe.

It's an off-market, though, so connectivity-wise you're better off in Charlotte.

I'm honestly surprised that a small datacenter hasn't popped up in Fort Mill for that matter. I dread having to drive downtown when I'm in Steele Creek and would prefer to just head south even as far as Rock Hill. Unless Nuvox(or similar) already has something like this?

A few years ago, I was looking in Columbia... If you are interested, contact SCANA and PalmettoNet. I think both have data centers downtown that are reasonably priced. You might also contact Spirit Telecom and TW Telecom. They may be able to help.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

There also is a facility in Rock Hill that was formerly cetlink.net. It appears now to be highspeedweb.net. Looking at their website, it's not clear if they offer co-lo, but they may be worth looking at.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

We've pretty much decided on using UberBandwidth. The cost around the charlotte area (Peak10, CaroNet, etc) is just too high. The only way they can even remotely come down is you have super high commits.

We've pretty much decided on using UberBandwidth. The cost around the charlotte area (Peak10, CaroNet, etc) is just too high. The only way they can even remotely come down is you have super high commits.
    In 2006 and 2008 we tried to do business with Peak 10's Tampa facility, but fell off our chairs at the cost of bandwidth ($300 per megabit in 2006, then $250 per megabit in 2008). They also pushed hard- really hard- to upsell us on managed services, which we were very clear up front that we neither needed nor wanted.

Since their quotes are frequently entertaining, I'm curious what numbers Peak 10 gave you for Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekweta View Post
    In 2006 and 2008 we tried to do business with Peak 10's Tampa facility, but fell off our chairs at the cost of bandwidth ($300 per megabit in 2006, then $250 per megabit in 2008). They also pushed hard- really hard- to upsell us on managed services, which we were very clear up front that we neither needed nor wanted.

Since their quotes are frequently entertaining, I'm curious what numbers Peak 10 gave you for Charlotte.
    They matched CaroNet's price, and CaroNet's price was $85 per mbps on a 10mbit commit.

Everything else is reasonable, it's just the bandwidth that is excessively high.

They matched CaroNet's price, and CaroNet's price was $85 per mbps on a 10mbit commit.

Everything else is reasonable, it's just the bandwidth that is excessively high.
    Unfortunetly thats market driving prices. i.e if you know companies x y and z will sell 10Mbps @ 50/Mbps. why wouldn't you charge close to that and make more and be competitive with the market you are in?

Try on a 100mbps unmetered commit and you shall see prices fall down harder per mbps.

Talk to Jason Brozena if you can on caro regardless if he only handles dedicated servers.

His contact info is here if you need it http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=25042

EDIT:I see you decided already on Uber but if Caro is still an option for whatever reason in the future. Then I suggest you contact Jason B as he will take care of you. Uber is very tempting I know.
    Last edited by peruviantalk; 12-16-2009 at 02:36 PM.

I can recall having quoted you below $20/mbps on Colocation bandwidth - not sure where the $85 has come from.

Hey all,

Are there any datacenters besides Peak10 and Caro.net in Charlotte? I'm scouting out some pricing on colocation. I'm really close to Charlotte, so I'd like to remain in Charlotte, but UberBandwidth in Asheville is definitely making me think about them.

Do ya'll have any recommendations? Are there any datacenters south of Charlotte?

Thanks!
    I think that Atlanta is south of Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by Hesser View Post
    I think that Atlanta is south of Charlotte
    More like Atlanta is WSW.

South of Charlotte is Columbia, Savannah, Jacksonville, Orlando, and Miami.

Anyone else notice JSCL recommending the company he works for? Before he changed names from Buzzservers-j
    GetCloudHosting.com - Looking for HOT deals on cloud hosting services? We post 5 of the hottest deals every day! -> Click Here <-

Quote Originally Posted by B r a n d o n View Post
    Anyone else notice JSCL recommending the company he works for? Before he changed names from Buzzservers-j
    I've had JSCL as a username from before I worked at CARO, you do realise that?

It's not un-natural to apply for work at a company you had previously commended, is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast