Support Experience

Say you have a customer that CONSTANTLY needs support doing things, I.E. installing random mods on their servers and what not. They also need help configuring all these random mods. They can get around changing the server.cfg and other standard files, but they always need help configuring mods. Sourcemod, Metamod Source, all these extra plug-ins and options. They want you to set it up for specific re-spawn times and small details.

Here are the issues.
    Do you..

1. Do it for them over and over again so that they don't remotely understand what they are doing? This will eat massive amounts of your tech support time

2. Show them how to do it and talk to them via a VOIP program. Do some stuff, and let them do the configuration? This way they don't have to come back every time they need help. Do you refer them and guide them through the help documentation?

Which way do you prefer to handle your support?
    Next-Generation Game Servers- www.NextGenServers.com - Play On. Fast, Reliable, Low ping, No Lag, full support servers. Providing Professional, Low Cost, but effective services to gamers like you. Providing the nextgen of gaming services.

It solely depends on preference, but I'd typically do something along the lines of a video tutorial / detailed tutorial on how to configure common things that people ask - hence teaching and lowering overhead on support.
    Cody R.
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly Serving websites since 2004.
    Official Let's Encrypt Sponsor

Generally depends on the mod. If they want a base install of SourceMod, AMXX, etc, that's easy enough and takes 2 minutes. We'd have no problem doing that for them. These mods are also the ones you want to have auto-installers for on your control panel. Alas, that's another story.

Now, if they want SourceMod configured with their admins added, plugin support, and everything like that, then you have to draw the line somewhere. I'll generally find the proper documentation for them, link them to it, and tell them to go nuts. If they still can't figure it out, then we'll help.

It's my experience if you point people in the right direction with ample documentation, they'll figure it out at some point. If not, that's where you step in. These people are not shy to ask for help so there's a good chance even after your guidance they don't get it, they'll be back

Yeah, refer them to good online docs and a few pointers should get them through. Reminds me of the chinese proverb.."Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
    James B
    WWW.EZEELOGIN.COM |Setup your Secure Linux SSH GatewayMEET PCI DSS & ISO 27001 Compliance|Manage & Administer Multiple Linux Servers Quickly & Securely.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFarrell View Post
    Generally depends on the mod. If they want a base install of SourceMod, AMXX, etc, that's easy enough and takes 2 minutes. We'd have no problem doing that for them. These mods are also the ones you want to have auto-installers for on your control panel. Alas, that's another story.

Now, if they want SourceMod configured with their admins added, plugin support, and everything like that, then you have to draw the line somewhere. I'll generally find the proper documentation for them, link them to it, and tell them to go nuts. If they still can't figure it out, then we'll help.

It's my experience if you point people in the right direction with ample documentation, they'll figure it out at some point. If not, that's where you step in. These people are not shy to ask for help so there's a good chance even after your guidance they don't get it, they'll be back
    Pretty much the same here, you need to draw the line line Brian said. We can't be sitting there for hours explaining to how to add admins etc.

This is one of the reasons why game hosting providers either don't want to get into this field or fail once they do.. Unlike most other hosting areas this one is mostly support related and is compounded by the fact your dealing with inexperienced clients who want everything installed and don't usually have the knowledge to do it themselves which is where you come in

However, I've found if you have concise documentation for most issues and the right tools you can eliminate most of the repeat questions. A good FAQ and easy to use tools in your control panel to install mods/maps etc usually does the trick.
    Last edited by Defcon|Rich; 10-01-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Defcon|Rich View Post
    This is one of the reasons why game hosting providers either don't want to get into this field or fail once they do.. Unlike most other hosting areas this one is mostly support related and is compounded by the fact your dealing with inexperienced clients who want everything installed and don't usually have the knowledge to do it themselves which is where you come in

However, I've found if you have concise documentation for most issues and the right tools you can eliminate most of the repeat questions. A good FAQ and easy to use tools in your control panel to install mods/maps etc usually does the trick.
    Well Said..Game hosting is one of the most crucial hosting with tons of headaches every day.

Unfortunately its very hard to get documents online and its again hard to create documents for expertise requests.
    AssistanZ - Beyond Boundaries...
    Cloudstack Consultancy / 24x7 Web Hosting Support / 24x7 Server Management / Infrastructure Management Services
    Web & Mobile Apps Development / Web Designing Services / Php, Grails, Java Development