.htaccess Redirect

I would like to have visitors from a specific hostname redirected to a certain .php page. I would prefer to do this from the .htaccess file as I don't want to muck about to much with the code of my joomla installation (beside the plugin, module and theme ui's).

Thank you for your help,

Just remember, REMOTE_HOST AND REMOTE_ADDR are easily spoofed.

Thank you very much for the help!

I'm afraid it dosnt quite do what I want, I'm trying to setup a page which will come up if they are on the list. Basicly this will just say that they have been blocked. I would prefer to use hostnames at the moment (as I already have a list of hostnames to use). Thank you for your help!

Are you speaking of blocking them via a 403 access denied. And send all 403/access denied to a custom page?

Are these to be blocked via HTTP_REFERER, REMOTE_HOST, HTTP_USER_AGENT, or IP address?

I posted the following below that would go in your .htaccess with a few examples.

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} ^38\.118\.42\.* [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} example\.com [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} spyfu\.com [OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "dejan" [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "discobot" [NC,OR]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "zermelo" [NC]
    RewriteRule ^.*$ [L,R]

Thank you, but could you please explain it so I know how to mod it later, I'm a bit new to using the .htaccess.

GA, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by neojames View Post
    Thank you, but could you please explain it so I know how to mod it later, I'm a bit new to using the .htaccess.
    Well, just look for some keywords.

RewriteEngine On #This line is required to tell apache to turn on mod_rewrite support
    # REMOTE_ADDR is the IP of the person. Hostnames should resolve to IPs,
    # but personally I'd probably block IPs.
    # All lines below specify who is blocked
    RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} ^38\.118\.42\.* [OR] # This will block the IP range through (as denoted by the *)
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} example\.com [OR] # Blocking a referer; who sent the user to the page
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} spyfu\.com [OR] # Another of the above
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "dejan" [NC,OR] # the user agent is a string browsers send to identify who they are (Ex: Mozilla/IE/Chrome/Safari/Opera will have a longish string with version info inside too
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "discobot" [NC,OR] #So this, the line above and below are blocking specific user agents, in this case they are bots (spiders) (as most bots identify themselves with a unique user agent)
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "zermelo" [NC] # Again with all of the above..
    RewriteRule ^.*$ [L,R] # ALl right! So if any of the above "RewriteCond"itions are met, the rule is to redirect all traffic "^.*$" to by redirection "[L,R]"
    Not the best with htaccess either, but that should give you the gist.

.. and before you ask I figure I should throw out there that "#" is the comment symbol used in htaccess. Anything after it will not be executed which is how you can place plain text in the file..

Thank you, i've been meaning to to that for a while! Thank You!

Just what i needed, thanks!