Exclamation DataRealm VPS Services

hello all, well I was looking for a budget Xen VPS under $7 and someone told me about DataRealm which had very attractive pricing of $5 a month, and their main page shows

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8160/scr1254086180.png

Note that it says 2 IP addresses.. That's the first "lie" right there because it appears they've only given me 1 IP address. Furthermore, the disk space is only 2gb vs. VPSLink's 10gb on a budget plan, which really isn't a big deal for what I need it for, but the killer is that my bandwidth is capped at 120kb/s on it!

They advertise unmetered traffic, but at 120kb/s, there's not alot you're going to get done anyways. Too slow for good web browsing even, so there goes SSH tunneling out the window... I'd much prefer my VPSLink's VPS approach of having 100gb/month bandwidth cap, but at least its fast.

There was a very long wait for my server to become activated after I sent payment which was also of concern, and once it was setup, I did a reboot on the VPS for good measure after installing some packages and the thing didn't even come back online, and there is no way for me to manually restart the system at this point. Their web interface doesn't have any such options, and if you telnet into their "Xen Console", they have it improperly setup so you don't even have permission to execute the 'boot' command

Needless to say I am not very happy so far.. I'd like to know where my other IP address is also

Please note: If you are cancelling before the end of your billing cycle, there will not be a refund for the time remaining on your billing cycle.
    that's just great... every other VPS host I've ever had gladly issues a refund if you're not happy with the service... sigh

still waiting on a ticket response too

If I remember well, you need to request 2nd IP. I am their customer since July 08 and so far so good. I can't say that I didn't got this what I ordered as it's written on their page clearly 1Mbps unmetered traffic.
    I don't know what expectations you had from this tiny vps, but it serve well for my purpose.
    I hope that they responded you till now. Good luck!

It clearly says " • 1Mbps Unmetered Bandwidth"

That is exactly what you're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by hive View Post
    They advertise unmetered traffic, but at 120kb/s,
    As others have noted, our site does state that we offer unmetered 1 Mbps connections. In 15 years of hosting we have never oversold any of our services, and offering unmetered bandwidth without any maximum speed for under $5/mo would not be a viable option for us. (From a technical standpoint it would also be impossible - the speed of the wire will always be a limiting factor.)

There was a very long wait for my server to become activated after I sent payment which was also of concern,
    As discussed via a support ticket, we manually process all new orders. You had originally ordered the VPS at 10:20pm EST on a Saturday night. It looks like your welcome email went out on Sunday afternoon.

I am not sure why paying at the time of the order is of a concern - I believe that this is typical for pretty much all hosting companies. As also discussed via a ticket, we adjust the renewal date based on when the welcome email goes out so you do not pay for the day that it takes to process the account. And of course paypal or any credit card company would issue a chargeback if we failed to deliver service on something you paid for.

if you telnet into their "Xen Console", they have it improperly setup so you don't even have permission to execute the 'boot' command
    Also handled via support, this was a simple typo in the configuration file.

Needless to say I am not very happy so far.. I'd like to know where my other IP address is also

We assign all of our IP addresses, whether they are for VPS's or dedicated servers, on an 'as needed basis'. If you could just open a support ticket with your request for an additional IP address and let us know why you need it, I am sure that the request will be processed very quickly (and we can even help setup the additional interface with the VPS if you require assistance with that).

I am truly sorry that the initial ordering and setup process did not proceed as smoothly or quickly as you had planned. Hopefully now that the system is up and running things will be better for you going forward.

OK guys just an update, my VPS is now back online and I've got preliminary ipv6 functionality working

Things seem to be working much smoother now, so I'm starting to get happy again

If I get this 2nd IP, I don't forsee any more problems... Things are looking up!

Thank you

OK guys just an update, my VPS is now back online and I've got preliminary ipv6 functionality working

Things seem to be working much smoother now, so I'm starting to get happy again

If I get this 2nd IP, I don't forsee any more problems... Things are looking up!

Thank you
    native or tunneled v6?

---------------------------------------------
    My IPv6 VPS tutorial: http://hosting.4or6.com
    My IPv6 traceroute server: http://4or6.com
    ---------------------------------------------

ugh, they've denied me a second IP unless I write a technical blurb about what I need it for?

For God's sake, what is going on with these people? Why do I need to justify and explain what I need my 2nd IP for when you promise it with your packages?

This company is weird. Talk about getting a little TOO involved in their clients affairs...

What would you guys do if you were in this situation? Filing a claim with Paypal seems a little extreme all things considered, but why are they advertising 2 IP's with any purchase and then refuse to hand out the second one?

I just don't get it.

@hive - It's actually ARIN justification I think. Tell them that you need two IPs for nameservers, SSL sites.. or something like that and they wont refuse it. Something like "Vanity IRC vhost" is NOT a good reason.

@blackips - not native as far as I know. I use HE tunnel on their server.

Well how come this hasn't happened with any of my previous providers? I've had VPS'es that come with multiple IP's several times before (sh3lls, fusion-hosting before they went offline, chaotic-hosting, and a couple others) have always given 2 IP's right away, as stated in the deal. I've never had to "ask" or justify the reason for the second IP that is supposed to come with it

I have all the vhosts I need off a single tunnel, I don't need a second IP for vhosts but rather for redundancy... It's good to have 2 tunnels in 2 different countries in case one suffers an outage.. At this point I'm just tired of having to submit tickets for every little thing, if this is the way they want to play it then whatever.. Live and learn I guess

I appreciate the helpful responses, thank you for that..

Well how come this hasn't happened with any of my previous providers? I've had VPS'es that come with multiple IP's several times before (sh3lls, fusion-hosting before they went offline, chaotic-hosting, and a couple others) have always given 2 IP's right away, as stated in the deal. I've never had to "ask" or justify the reason for the second IP that is supposed to come with it
    Clearly we cannot answer for other companies, but testnick was spot on in what he told you.

I have all the vhosts I need off a single tunnel, I don't need a second IP for vhosts but rather for redundancy... It's good to have 2 tunnels in 2 different countries in case one suffers an outage..
    That right there is perfect and really all we need to hear. If you could just send that over to our support, they'll write back to you within minutes with your IP assignment.

At this point I'm just tired of having to submit tickets for every little thing, if this is the way they want to play it then whatever.. Live and learn I guess

I appreciate the helpful responses, thank you for that..

As I did earlier, I do apologize you find this frustrating. To us it doesn't seem like there have been that many tickets, but clearly this experience has been different from your perspective. Also you do not need to submit new tickets -- just reply to any support message you receive via email and we'll get it.