Thread: reverse dns

reverse dns

i want to ask something. if i change my hostname in reverse dns and lets sat that i will not email my datacenter to update my Reverse DNS entry. these will have as a result my server to be down?

p.s i have already change in my server the hostname and i am waiting for datacenter to respond to my change.if they respond to em in the next 24hours and then make the change(i mean that they are late to update the dns entry) i will have my server down?

reverse dns have nothing to do with uptimes, they will make this change on their server, not yours. Your mail however will probably work not so good due to different hostname and reverse dns entry

Your mail however will probably work not so good due to different hostname and reverse dns entry. what do you exaclty mean?

Next time please quote right.

Some mailservers will not accept your mail if your reverse DNS entry differs from your server hostname

Why not wait for the rdns to be set first and then set hostname so that you can minimize mail loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by kteo View Post
    p.s i have already change in my server the hostname and i am waiting for datacenter to respond to my change.if they respond to em in the next 24hours and then make the change(i mean that they are late to update the dns entry) i will have my server down?
    James B
    EzeeloginSetup your Secure Linux SSH Gateway.
    |Manage & Administer Multiple Linux Servers Quickly & Securely.

We have seen certain email servers on the Internet such as craigslist.org requires that the DNS hostname of the server and the PTR record the email server IP address is pointing to matches.

It is always recommended that the changes be made upstream ( your datacenter) before reflecting them at your end to minimize/no email loss.
    Twitter : http://twitter.com/eth1networks
    Contact Us : support[at]eth1.in

If SPF records are set for the domain, certain mail server can reject the mail for the domain that have different rev dns set.
    David | www.cliffsupport.com
    Affordable Server Management Solutions sales AT cliffsupport DOT com
    CliffWebManager | Access WHM from iPhone and Android

Do not forget to check your TXT SPF records and domainkeys if you have any. And as guys said before - some mails can be rejected due to difference between hostname and reverse record