Selling Brand New FTP Hosting / Data Storage Business

Hello Everyone!

Thank you for your interest in this sale, I'm going to try and provide all the information
    you'll need in your decision-making process.

A little info about the business:

This is a brand-new business, it's a registered US LLC that is just shy of 3 months old.
    It's online website presence is a little over a month old. This isn't your basic shared
    FTP hosting business, there's a few unique features this service offers that really
    sets it apart such as ability to FXP, crc checksumming of files with visible directory report,
    and it even runs on gigabit servers. Perfect for webhost and website backups, as well as a
    slew of other potential target industries.

Reason for sale:

This was my first internet-based business. Going into it I didn't have an appreciation for
    the skill of internet marketing. I thought it wouldn't be much more difficult than getting
    the website indexed by google, and clients would appear. I now know there's more to it than
    that and plan to study SEO/SEM before starting my next internet-based business.

What's included in the sale:

• 3-month old LLC company

• 1 dedicated server at Softlayer (Specs: Intel Xeon 3070-Dual Core 2.66GHz, 4GB Ram,
      4x250GB Disks in Raid-10 array, Gigabit port, 2TB monthly bw)

• VPS at Hawkhost (this is where the website and whmcs reside)

• Domain (currently registered at 1&1)

• SSL e-commerce certificate

• All website files + heavily customized whmcs integration, it looks awesome.

• Dyndns.com account to manage subdomains for the domain

• All account info will be transfered to your ownership.

• Sale does NOT include bank account, Auth.net account, or Paypal account.

Overhead Cost:

• $264 monthly - Dedicated server (due on 1st of ea. month)

• $18 monthly - Hawkhost VPS (due on 13th of ea. month)

• $18.95 monthly - WHMCS leased, non-branded (due on 30th of ea. month)

• $30 monthly - DotNetPanel leased (due on 5th of ea. month)

• $2 monthly - kall8.com 800# phone number (not sure if I can transfer this, it's probably

easier to just get a new 800 number from them & update the website contact info)
    • $29.95 yearly - Dyndns.com Custom DNS (expires July 30, 2010) (if you handle your own dns then

you won't need this)

Note: All due bills have been paid promptly and on time. Everything is installed,
    configured and working as expected.

Sales:

The business is brand new and doesn't have an established clientele base yet. Someone with
    some marketing flair could take this from where it's at and really take it to the next level.

Requirements for Bidding:

1) Users must have a post count of 20 or higher to bid. I might make an exception for the right person.
    2) Bids must be made publicly in this thread, any private bids will be ignored.
    3) Starting bid is $5,000
    4) Bid increments of $150 or more
    5) BIN is $20,000
    6) Payments accepted via PayPal or escrow.com, seller will split Paypal/escrow fees 50/50 with buyer.
    7) Bidding ends Tuesday Sept 29th at 7PM EST, which is just a little over 72 hours from the auction posting time.
    8) If you PM me I'll give you the site information so you can have an opportunity to check it out. I won't be
    requiring an NDA since there are no clients to consider. However, I request that all
    identifying information about the site and my normal WHT user login be kept private.

Final thoughts:

I've had creating this business on the back of my mind for over three years but kept putting it
    off due to lack of time to focus on it. I'm grateful I had the opportunity to finally
    work on this and am satisfied with being able to figure out how to integrate the various systems
    and how the final project turned out. I also made some good industry contacts during the experience
    and really appreciate the assistance others provided in showing me "the way." While it didn't get
    to the level that I had hoped it would, I realize that experiencing a little bit of failure
    before we experience our big successes in life is a normal process. All the takeaways I've learned
    from this experience are going to come in handy when I roll out "Project 2.0" - I've already got some
    ideas to work on and by selling this business it'll free me up to work on them so I'm pretty
    excited about that.

Happy Bidding!!
    Last edited by temp4sale; 09-26-2009 at 06:11 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Do you own the server? Why is the site hosted elsewhere if you have a box at softlayer? Can i get a link to site please...
    Jason
      0 Not allowed!

Hi Jason,

If by 'own the server' you're asking if I am the one who is renting it from Softlayer, then the answer is yes. The site is hosted elsewhere due to requirements of the software involved. If you have a Linux server then you could most likely move the site there and do away with the $18 monthly VPS fee. Don't forget that the site includes the billing system, so this should be a VPS or other private/secured system.

I'm sending you a pm with a link to the site now.

Thanks for your interest!

0 Not allowed!

I would like to add that I'll be available by email to answer any questions you may have for up to a month after the sale to help ease the transition process.

Thanks!
      0 Not allowed!

What part of your offer do you think is worth $5 to 20k? The unique website?
    Tranquil Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

You have a good concept but your business that you are proposing seems to have alot of overhead which would require a longterm loss until a stable client base has been established. I feel the business is only worth a couple of thousand (the cost of the equipment) until you have a positive cash flow.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gynxhosting View Post
    You have a good concept but your business that you are proposing seems to have alot of overhead which would require a longterm loss until a stable client base has been established. I feel the business is only worth a couple of thousand (the cost of the equipment) until you have a positive cash flow.
    What equipment ??? He is renting a server ???
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TQ Mark View Post
    What part of your offer do you think is worth $5 to 20k? The unique website?
    Yeah, I am a little confused are we paying $5,000 to $20,000 for the website ? Is that the only asset ?
      0 Not allowed!

gynxhosting:
    Yes, not having an established client base to cover overhead for the short term is something to consider.

All:
    We all know that with the down economy, right now is a rough time to start a business and attract new clients. However, the economy is projected to recover in 2010 and when it does you'll want to be positioned to take advantage of the growth. After depressions/recessions there has historically been a surge in entrepreneurial success. Are you positioned well to take advantage? If yes (you already have an established business), have you considered diversifying your income streams? That's what this opportunity presents you, a completely separate, ready-made business that's primed and ready to go. I should mention that I personally really like this business and if circumstances were different I would choose to hold onto it and grow it. So my loss is your gain.

Having said all that, I'm also a fair guy. gynxhosting mentioned he feels that the value is around $2,000. I'm not saying I agree with that, however I'm willing to let the bidding start there.

Good luck bidding gentlemen!
      0 Not allowed!

Don't mean to jump off topic but 2010? Ya ok that's about 2 years or more off! We keep spending money putting us in more debt 2010 is almost here and you can't find jobs anywhere.

I've seen the site layout what would you consider for the skin? How much just for that...

Honestly 20k you cant make that up in 2 years with web file hosting its not possible unless your rapidfiles.com or what ever its called!

How much for the template?
    Jason
      0 Not allowed!

What's the income?

20K for a design? Amazing..
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalSapphire View Post
    What's the income?

20K for a design? Amazing..
    Read his post there is no income
    Jason
      0 Not allowed!

Guys,

I think that some of us are missing the point here. You should read this paragraph once more:

This is a brand-new business, it's a registered US LLC that is just shy of 3 months old.
    It's online website presence is a little over a month old. This isn't your basic shared
    FTP hosting business, there's a few unique features this service offers that really
    sets it apart such as ability to FXP, crc checksumming of files with visible directory report,
    and it even runs on gigabit servers. Perfect for webhost and website backups, as well as a
    slew of other potential target industries.
    This isn't your normal type of FTP service. I've seen only one or two other sites offering the ability to FXP,
    neither had the directory completion feature this site offers, I have way better pricing, and they were only
    running on 100mbit servers.

Having the back end system in place is necessary to provide the features that are displayed on the front end website,
    it wouldn't really do much good to try and purchase just the website alone.

This is a fairly unique site and I don't think you'll find another that's as competitive when you start listing features
    side by side.
    Last edited by temp4sale; 09-28-2009 at 09:23 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Having said all that, I also hear what you guys are saying about the $20,000 BIN price. I used that as it seemed
    the standard in prior sales, however the difference is that this business comes brand new without a client base.

I've got some good news: I'm lowering the BIN amount to $12,000.
      0 Not allowed!

Good luck with the sale. To much for me
    Jason
      0 Not allowed!

whmanaged:
    Ok, thanks for your participation and maybe another time.

All:
    I'd like to address the matter of overhead:

$264 monthly - Dedicated server (due on 1st of ea. month)
    and
    $18.95 monthly - WHMCS leased, non-branded (due on 30th of ea. month)
    ...are all that's 100% required.

$18 monthly - Hawkhost VPS (due on 13th of ea. month)
    VPS can be done away with by hosting site and billing system on own box.

$30 monthly - DotNetPanel leased (due on 5th of ea. month)
    DNP invoiced me once on Aug 5th and hasn't billed me since then. The license shows as active on the server and in the client area on dotnetpanel.com. Not sure what's happening there but I won't change anything for the time being since the business is being sold anyway.

$2 monthly - kall8.com 800# phone number (not sure if I can transfer this, it's probably
    easier to just get a new 800 number from them & update the website contact info)
    If you just use PayPal you don't need this.

$29.95 yearly - Dyndns.com Custom DNS (expires July 30, 2010) (if you handle your own dns then
    you won't need this)
    Handled by your own DNS.
      0 Not allowed!

Not to make this thread into how much is it really worth, but there is nothing to buy here besides a template that is maybe worth $250.

Unless we are missing something ?
      0 Not allowed!

I'm going to make this really simple for those of you who seem to be struggling with this concept. Either you see the value in this, or you don't.
    It really is just as simple as that.

Worst-case scenario: I shelf the company, keep it for myself and re-launch once I've had a chance to learn the ins-and-outs of Internet Marketing.

Thank you.
      0 Not allowed!

No one is going to blind bid on something they can't see.

Please PM me the domain/site. I am interested in getting a walkthrough of everything this is so I know what I would be buying if I were to bid.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by temp4sale View Post
    Worst-case scenario: I shelf the company, keep it for myself and re-launch once I've had a chance to learn the ins-and-outs of Internet Marketing.
    That may be the best idea. Your first post was very well written and told the story quite well. Unfortunately it seems that the value of the work and knowledge that was put into the integration is being discounted quite heavily. If you do decide to bank the idea, then it might be smarter to keep the technical parts of the integration to yourself if you get pm's asking for the recipe.

You will have no shortage of people wanting to know *how* you did it, they just might not be as willing to actually bid.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com
      0 Not allowed!

plumsauce:
    Thanks for your thoughtful and insightful input. Yes, I've had a few 'tire-kickers' pm already and have sent them on their way.

Amish_Geek:
    I've sent you the link to the site.
      0 Not allowed!

This auction is now over, Moderators please lock this thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Glad to hear it's over Random template + ftp daemon with fxp enabled + rented box != 20k. Not !=2k. Not even worth $250.

Best of luck with future endeavors.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

So i'm wondering if the website sold or not?
    Gynx Hosting.com | Innovative Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by gynxhosting View Post
    So i'm wondering if the website sold or not?
    More info here.
      0 Not allowed!