Home networking ?

I have two computers on a crossover cable. For one thing they disconnect all the time they never stay connected and when they disconnect I have to remove adapters and stuff and start ALL over again.

When it is working
    System 1 Windows XP Pro
    System 2 Windows 98 SE

System 2 can browse off of system 1 like theres no tommorrow, but system 1 cannot even get a directory listing from system 2 its slower then hell and sometimes freezes the window up and I have to kill it the window. Any particular reason why this happens?

OK, well ... this is not really related to web hosting, so ... this question shouldn't be here.

Because you are using windows as your networking protocol, that would be an explanation ... windows is horribly written, and it's known for bugs like this, if you want, call them up, and watch them not care, and make no effort to do anything about it.

If you are serious about home networking, forget crossovers. Instead get yourself the cheapest NICs and some CAT5 cable.

Problem solved.

About posting in the right forum, this IS the right forum.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

OK, well some of your information is off ... crossover cabling IS cat5/ethernet cabling, it's simply a pair order switch. NICs must be in use ... if he is not using a cat5(or appropriate ethernet cable), then he is not stating his question correctly.

NICs are in use when using crossover ... crossover just means that you can only connect 2 computers (in this example), to each other.

If you plan to only have these two computers connected, then crossover is the way to go ... because if you need more than 2, it's easiest to buy a cheap network hub, then you will need "straight-through" network (cat5 ethernet) cables ... as you are not connecting the computers to each other directly, but through another device.

Well, i apologize if i got confused.

The first thing that came to my mind when he mentioned crossover was those taiwanese made USB cables that allowed the linking of 2 computers.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

It is cat5 cable and using two nics, ive asked elsewhere I know this may not be the appropriate forum but no one else seems to know the answer. If it works for everyone else but not me, then there is something im doing wrong. Sorry I posted in the wrong forum

Well, aparently ... according to net-trend, this is the right forum ... I'm not sure how this is a web hosting technical/security issue, but I'd be happy to help you out.

Windows is stupid like this ... not sure how to troubleshoot windows issues as I haven't had a windows computer to play with in quite a while (only my gaming machine runs windows ... the one I'm on now ... I never have time to play games anymore)

Sorry

I run a network of 3 computers and have a similar issue.

I have 2 Win2k computers and 1 Win 98 computer. The win98 can browse files like nothing is wrong, but when I use my Win2k box, it takes ages to get a directory listing (~104 seconds). Once I have a directory listing (shares) I'm able to browse them like nothing is wrong...

Try using your XP box to access the win98 box and just wait for about 2 minutes to see if the shares show up.
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Well, other than getting a router (Linksys are inexpensive).... You might look at your installed protocols. Sometimes I have only had good luck when allowing it to use NETBEUI protocol as well as TCP/IP and the other one.. forgot the name at the moment... some MS protocol IIRC.

Also, worth checking... Make sure both PC NICs are set to the same setting in properties.. IE full duplex, half duplex.. etc...

Ans last thing off the top of my head, make sure ICS is only enable on the PC that is connected to the internet.

Not sure if any of those suggestions will help or not.. but gives ya something to look at.
    Glenn
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Couple of thoughts:

The fact that you're connecting 2 computers with a crossover cable shouldn't prevent you from browsing shared folders. But, computer and share name browsing is not a feature supported by TCP/IP unless you are also running NetBios over TCP/IP - which should be enabled by default - but make sure that it is.

Also. make sure that you have all computers running the same workgroup name as otherwise you can't browse.

If you're running TCP/IP and no WINS server, you might also have problems; Windows browsing over TCP/IP really wants a WINS server.

You might also load the NETBeui protocol - it handles computer browsing under Windows very well.

To make it short...All this stuff mentioned is installed or been taken into consideration and doesnt work any better. Both computers have the same configurations and same protocals installed I pretty much gave up on it, i cant see to get it

You didn't say if you were using a WINS server, if the XP machine is in a workgroup, if you're using a PDC, if you're using active directory, or any of the various directory services that windows can use.

The commands nbtstat and net can be useful for determining the problem.

BTW: I might assume that a "crossover cable" was referring to twisted pair, but I wouldn't assume that it was CAT5.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!