Shopping for host to support multiple WordPress blogs

I am using aplus.net to host a WordPress blog and want to create more blogs.

Since aplus.net took 26 hours to restore my blog when somehow it was corrupted (no explanation on what they did), I have decided I need to host it someplace where I have full control.

I would be prepared to reinstall WordPress on my own. I also want to have the ability to control redirects. aplus provides a handful of very weak tools for managing the site.

I'm looking for a host that would allow me to manage multiple domains, and multiple instances of WordPress. I'm prepared to manage the MySQL db (if I have to, though I would prefer it if I had support for this).

Any suggestions? I'm getting a headache from sifting through the promotions I am finding in my search.

Most hosts will fit your criteria.

How much diskspace/bandwidth are you using? How busy is your blog?

You shouldn't need to do much with the database itself apart from creating it and adding a user so I can't imagine you'd need a huge amount of support.

Any hosts will allow you to run multiple blogs just keep an eye out on the resource usage and their resource usage policy.

My blog traffic and usage is low. I want to launch a few more sites to see if I can pick up on some topics with better possibilities.

My current host will charge me for every domain I park there. And the redirect tools are limited. I realize everything is available out there, for a price. I'm trying to find a setup that allows me to experiment as I try to build up an active collection of websites (i have experience with SEO, and advertising from a corporate job and am trying to build up a side business for myself).

One of the more important tools I need is the ability to manage domains and redirects. I am investigating hosts that provide cpanel. I assume this will give me pretty good control over the domains and redirects.

Will you be using the urban giraffe plugin for wordpress to manage your redirects via .htaccess? if you have a number of blogs I might be worth looking at a host who has something like installatron or fantastico available so that updating the core software is as simple as clicking a button.

Quote Originally Posted by driverseven View Post

One of the more important tools I need is the ability to manage domains and redirects. I am investigating hosts that provide cpanel. I assume this will give me pretty good control over the domains and redirects.
    That's exactly what you need to be able to run the redirects yourself. Now the question is whether to pick shared or VPS. If I take your need to have full control literally, VPS is the way to go. Unless I'm missing a crucial detail, shared is also an option (a cheap one too)!

Keep in mind that you'll need a managed VPS with off server backup should you go that route. You just need to be on top of your backups just in case your provider isn't able to retrieve his.

Regards
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

If you went with a host that provides cPanel, unlimited add-on, parked domains you will be able to redirect those domains to where you need them without any problem.

I will suggest to get a reseller account on a cPanel/WHM server from a reputed host, this way you can host multiple domains as independent accounts, you can manage DNS for your domains and do lot more than a shared account. A VPS is good if your budget allows and if you have the basic required expertise.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

This is helping me narrow it down.

what's the WHM in cpanel/WHM?

Web Host Manager, it's normally used by resellers or people who want to give independent control panel's to hosted domains rather than have them as addons or parked.

cPanel is for endusers, WHM is for server admin and resellers.

Having an end user cPanel account will enable you to do limited tasks related to that account, using WHM you can create packages, you can create/terminate accounts, you can edit DNS and much more.

Check live demos at http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/try-demo.html
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

This is helping me narrow it down.

what's the WHM in cpanel/WHM?
    You can actually see a demo of both the WHM (Web Hosting Module), and cPanel (Control Panel) which will give you a better understanding of both.

http://www.cpanel.net/

WHM is the reseller control panel. cPanel is the end user control panel. WHM allows you to create end user accounts.

I have decided I need to host it someplace where I have full control.
    A hard drive failure (is this what happened at aplus?) would still be likely to lead to downtime, and restores don't always work as you'd expect. Keep a recent set of backups, for your host may not always have one ready/usable.

You should shell out the little extra for a VPS. You will be happy.

I am using aplus.net to host a WordPress blog and want to create more blogs.

Since aplus.net took 26 hours to restore my blog when somehow it was corrupted (no explanation on what they did), I have decided I need to host it someplace where I have full control.

I would be prepared to reinstall WordPress on my own. I also want to have the ability to control redirects. aplus provides a handful of very weak tools for managing the site.

I'm looking for a host that would allow me to manage multiple domains, and multiple instances of WordPress. I'm prepared to manage the MySQL db (if I have to, though I would prefer it if I had support for this).

Any suggestions? I'm getting a headache from sifting through the promotions I am finding in my search.
    Affordable, Hassle-Free Web Hosting - Rated Top Web Host of the year! All packages include Free Professional Website Builder!
    On Sale Now!
    Top Rated Web Hosting

Most hosts here on WHT will fit your criteria. Check in ads section...

Quote Originally Posted by GigeWeb View Post
    Any hosts will allow you to run multiple blogs just keep an eye out on the resource usage and their resource usage policy.
    That worries me the most.I got suspended last week for excess CPU usage on my reseller account.I run just one blog at present and planning for more but i don't know if i be able to run it on reseller plan.

Odd, What was the usage level. I also sent you a PM.

Any host will meet your needs. Your needs are not high at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GigeWeb View Post
    Odd, What was the usage level. I also sent you a PM.
    First my host told me that it is because of wp-useronline plugin when i disabled it he told me wp-cron.php is causing high cpu usage. So i deleted that file.Since then i haven't got any message from them.My current blog traffic is around 1400 visitors and 3500 page views.
    I'm planning to run few more blogs but i fear that if all of them will get traffic like this the cpu load will again rise resulting in my account termination.I have paid the hosting fees for 1 year and 5 months are still left.

My hosting plan is reseller with 3GB space and 50 GB bandwidth.I'm very happy with my host as have never seen a slowdown or downtime till date.