Thumbs down gbservers review - stay away!

Hi all,

From 25 of July I am using the gbservers VPS service, I can say first 5 days were very impressive with sales & support. But I have noticed that my VPS down now at least once a month - for no reason, they blame my VPS (as they think that I first time user! - no way I will accept that), but it everything setup correctly as they installed the cPanel and I am using from other place (buycpanel.com) license for it.

Last night it was downtime on whole server (not only for my VPS, as I am monitor the whole VPS server as well!) not only on my VPS and the backup procedure was mist as usually done at 1PM, no communication from them about the downtime...

Moreover when last time I contacted about the downtime - they lied to me about downtime time, see your self from tickets:

Client 22/09/2009 20:28
    Hi,

My VPS again down.

Could you help me, please? Can I have the access to restart & proper control panel to do this without asking every time the support, please?

I hope to hear from you.
    Regards, Alex
    Opened the second new ticket - #522896
    Client 22/09/2009 20:36
    Hi,

My VPS again down.

Could you help me, please? Can I have the access to restart & proper control panel to do this without asking every time the support, please?

I hope to hear from you.
    Regards, Alex
    Client 22/09/2009 20:46
    Sorry, any response today?

The issue is High as almost every month I am getting for no reason downtimes.

I hope to hear from you.
    Regards, Alex
    Staff 22/09/2009 20:47
    Hello Alex,

The node your VPS is located on was undergoing a software update and reboot.

Sorry for the downtime, your VPS appears to be responding to ping now.

In regards to the control panel, these software updates are the final preparations for our new FluidVM panel to go live. You will be emailed with access information once this is ready.

Please let us know if you experience any further issues.

Kind regards,

Mark G,
    few other replies in the same ticket about issue and again the VPS was rebooted.

Staff 22/09/2009 21:13
    Just to add to my previous response, the VPS maintenance was clearer stated on our network issues page which can be found in the client area. I notice two other reports of your VPS being down, this is nothing to do with our side, but is software side on your VPS and we are not responsible for that. We hope to have fluidvm up and running soon and this will therefore allow you to console into your VPS and reboot from the panel also. Bare in mind the actual downtime of the server rebooting was about 5 mins or less.

Kind regards,

Dan B,
    Client 22/09/2009 21:36
    > was about 5 mins or less.

between 2 first posts it's like 10 minutes, but if you see my first ticket, which was opened at 22/09/2009 20:28, it's like more than 10 minutes.

Regards, Alex
    Staff 22/09/2009 21:45
    This is the time it took our staff member to reply and check if your vps was affected by this. It doesn't mean your vps was down that long. Like I mentioned before this reboot was required for software upgrades and in order for fluidvm to run.

Kind regards,
    Client 22/09/2009 21:50
    it was no reply from 22/09/2009 20:28 to 22/09/2009 20:46, meanwhile my VPS was down!

Regards, Alex
    I personally hate when the shops & companies lies about!

This my experience with gbservers & my personal recommendation - stay away from them!

That's why I looking for new better off VPS service provider!
    Low Cost Storage VPS plans at webprovps.com
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

It is very sad to see VPS providers faking like this. But when you look at their prices they seem to be too good to be true.

I'll tell you one thing, pack your bags and leave now. It's not b'cos of the provider, but cos the panel - FluidVM. You encounter a lot of trouble in the future once this is rolled out as many who used FluidVM including my own provider had to face many troubles, cos FluidVM is very unstable.

The other thing is, for FluidVM to work, you need to repartition your HDD as FluidVM requires a different partitioning scheme. So definitely they'd have to shut the node down to do that right?

Quote Originally Posted by gunemalli View Post
    I'll tell you one thing, pack your bags and leave now. It's not b'cos of the provider, but cos the panel - FluidVM. You encounter a lot of trouble in the future once this is rolled out as many who used FluidVM including my own provider had to face many troubles, cos FluidVM is very unstable.

The other thing is, for FluidVM to work, you need to repartition your HDD as FluidVM requires a different partitioning scheme. So definitely they'd have to shut the node down to do that right?
    Sounds about right. I was speaking to Dan from GBServers last night actually and warned him off FluidVM completely.

Having used it, it is VERY buggy - not recommended to be used in production just yet!

Hello Alex,

Once again I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced with your service with us. We have never lied about any downtime we have had on any of our servers, I can honestly say that our servers are very stable and during the period you hosted with us we only had 1 unscheduled outage (which occurred last night). As for scheduled downtime, we had the software update and reboot as you have shown in your ticket reply quotes, these where posted on our Network Status blog which can be found within your client area. Any downtime which exceeds a reboot is always emailed to clients with as much prior warning as possible.

I'm sorry if you feel that the downtimes you experienced before where not software related on your VPS itself, but we can ensure you that this must be the case, and that our support technicians never lie or try to "fob you off" thinking you are first time VPS user.

We are a relatively small VPS/Dedicated host which holds a number of very satisfied clients and have more staff per client than the bigger market players.

In regards to FluidVM, we are still testing this software and haven't provided clients with access to it; we are researching different possibilities since the issues with HyperVM.

Once again, I'm sorry that you are not satisfied with the service we offer, if you would like to contact me through PM I'm sure we can come to a resolution.

Kind regards,
    Mark G.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Any downtime which exceeds a reboot is always emailed to clients with as much prior warning as possible.
    Never had email for last night!

we only had 1 unscheduled outage (which occurred last night)
    Nothing is published in client portal about this event! Last entry:
    Affecting System - Xen7 | Priority - Critical

Xen7 currently has issues, we are aware of the problem and are currently investigating.

Update; This should now be resolved, if your VPS is not working still please open a ticket
    Date - 25/09/2009 10:10 - 25/09/2009 18:36
    Last Updated - 25/09/2009 18:36
    VPSXen5 Reboot (Resolved)
    Affecting System - VPSXen5 | Priority - Medium

This is mandatory for our FluidVM migration and we thank you for your patience.

This has now been completed with a couple of minutes downtime

Date - 22/09/2009 20:19
    Last Updated - 22/09/2009 20:58

I'm sorry if you feel that the downtimes you experienced before where not software related on your VPS itself, but we can ensure you that this must be the case, and that our support technicians never lie or try to "fob you off" thinking you are first time VPS user.
    I can say that I have 3 years of Linux/Unix experience and the biggest downtime had only when the cheapvps servers been hacked, as for now every month my VPS for no reason hang it self - I think something wrong with your server.
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Hi Alex,

I clearly stated in my reply that the downtime last night was an unscheduled outage, that is the reason why you did not receive an email. It was a problem with our VPS node and was repaired asap.

You are looking in the wrong section on our WHMCS client area, there is a section for Open and a section for Completed, please view the Completed area.

We have had no other tickets from users on your VPS node with VPS problems.

You are looking in the wrong section on our WHMCS client area, there is a section for Open and a section for Completed, please view the Completed area.
    I looked in right area, it simply hasn't been even published about 22/09/2009 downtime or update after!

Anyway good luck with business as I closing my account right now!

Hello Alex,

Please use the following link to view the downtime post you are regarding:

https://gbclients.co.uk/networkissues.php?view=resolved

It has been blogged, we always blog any downtime to keep clients updated.

Kind regards,
    Mark G.

Wow, sorry to hear about your bad experience i hope all goes well.

Hi,

To me, this looks like a slight over-reaction from the client. How long was the unexpected downtime?

The downtime is clearly shown to be scheduled and the reboots would have made it down for a matter of minutes only.

Personally, I have never heard/seen any negative feedback on GBServers before. However, I have heard a lot of negative feedback on FluidVM, so I think they have made the wrong decision in migrating to it here (although many VPS hosts are still looking urgently for an alternative to HyperVM - this doesn't seem like a great alternative). I hope they rethink and move onto a more secure, reliable and stable control panel soon, but as a possible customer this thread would not and should not put me off.

Quote Originally Posted by TH-Guy View Post
    Hi,

To me, this looks like a slight over-reaction from the client. How long was the unexpected downtime?

The downtime is clearly shown to be scheduled and the reboots would have made it down for a matter of minutes only.

Personally, I have never heard/seen any negative feedback on GBServers before. However, I have heard a lot of negative feedback on FluidVM, so I think they have made the wrong decision in migrating to it here (although many VPS hosts are still looking urgently for an alternative to HyperVM - this doesn't seem like a great alternative). I hope they rethink and move onto a more secure, reliable and stable control panel soon, but as a possible customer this thread would not and should not put me off.
    I reacted right way as in the Dan reply ticket simply mislead/lie about downtime (see tickets which I have published in the first post).

My reaction to this:
    I personally hate when the shops & companies lies about service or product!

Quote Originally Posted by TH-Guy View Post
    Hi,

Hi TH-Guy,

Just a quick update regarding the FluidVM situation. We have ceased the testing of this control panel, as others have mentioned it is EXTREMELY buggy and caused some problems for us. The control panel has now been removed from our systems and we have put in a temporary solution until a suitable alternative is introduced.

Thanks for your comments.

Kind regards,
    Mark G.

Quote Originally Posted by GBServersLtd View Post
    Hi TH-Guy,

Just a quick update regarding the FluidVM situation. We have ceased the testing of this control panel, as others have mentioned it is EXTREMELY buggy and caused some problems for us. The control panel has now been removed from our systems and we have put in a temporary solution until a suitable alternative is introduced.

Thanks for your comments.

Kind regards,
    Mark G.
    I take it you've looked at SolusVM? Lacking one or two features but a very functional and client pleasing panel at the moment.

sorry for here that
    good luck find new provide

Quote Originally Posted by hertzwebsolutions View Post
    I take it you've looked at SolusVM? Lacking one or two features but a very functional and client pleasing panel at the moment.
    We have, unfortunately it didn't match some of our requirements. Thanks for the recommendation anyway