Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Listen up... If your not hosting with Gigenet... Whats wrong with you!?

I've worked with all of the big players and many of the small players. Gigenet is definitely at the top of my list (right behind Webnx).

Lately I have been moving a lot of clients to Gigenet, primarily because they rock. I have not had one client come to me and not be in love with them. Their network is superb. Their support is top notch.

Damn near instant ticket replies.

Ameen helped me get a server up so I could migrate my company website away from RapidSwitch in a hurry.

I have a client bringing 3 more boxes up tonight. Excited to get them moved and operating correctly at a host that actually cares about you... Unlike their current host.

Kudos. I will be doing business with you for a long long time Gige!
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Agreed, Ameen is excellent and a pleasure to work with.

A+

Nice thread title, also glad to hear your having a good experience with Gigenet

Gigenet is amazing - LOVE them. Never had a problem at all. Damn near the only company I will do business with when it comes to dedicated servers.
    Last edited by timburke; 09-26-2009 at 12:15 AM.

Do they have DDOS protection. Im getting crushed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMack View Post
    Do they have DDOS protection. Im getting crushed right now.
    Yeah they do.

Quote Originally Posted by timburke View Post
    Yeah they do.
    I believe it is a paid solution, not a network protection like what The Planet and SoftLayer does.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Is theplanet a good host?

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopFreak View Post
    I believe it is a paid solution, not a network protection like what The Planet and SoftLayer does.

The difference between our protection and softlayers is huge, they use just basic ddos hardware which stops basic and simple attacks. Our solution is handled on a case by case basis and is monitored and adjusted uniquely for each customer especially when the attackers are using extremely intelligent techniques that to the normal eye it looks like valid normal traffic. We have several layers of protection and also human eyes for analysis.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

Quote Originally Posted by ameen View Post
    The difference between our protection and softlayers is huge, they use just basic ddos hardware which stops basic and simple attacks. Our solution is handled on a case by case basis and is monitored and adjusted uniquely for each customer especially when the attackers are using extremely intelligent techniques that to the normal eye it looks like valid normal traffic. We have several layers of protection and also human eyes for analysis.
    How much is your DDOS protection because its not noted on the site?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMack View Post
    How much is your DDOS protection because its not noted on the site?

It varies, quotes are on on a custom basis. We do give rather large discounts thouugh when the customers sign up for dedicated servers. You need to email sales, you can get up to 50% off the protection when you buy a server.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing

sure gigenet rocks ameen is the one man army

thanks to gigenet for wonderfull support
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting R1 Soft Offsite-Backup Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

another +1 for gigenet from me completed 7+ months

How would you compare their services to Webnx or SoftLayer?

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali View Post
    They are much better than Softlayer (better network, very knowledgeable support team) - I've had no experience with WebNX so I can't comment on that.

the thread topic made me lol

Well if you search for me and softlayer you will see I absolutely despise them. Poor support, unetwork admins who are not knowledgeable , repeated hardware failures plauge my clients. Sometimes a simple reboot (since their panel doesn't work) takes over a hour and a half, and all they do is keep replying, we are looking into it.

90% of the responses I get from softlayer are canned, and I have to repeat myself otherwise my point doesn't get across.

WebNX, has the best bang for buck on hardware. You can't get much better on pricing. Network reliability is awesome, and they will do just about anything for you. My only draw back is sometime requests may take a little longer, but for the cost of the hardware and how reliable their network generally is I don't care

Gigenet Still holds the winner all around. But if I need some massive hardware specifications, Webnx gets the business.
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

WebNX / Softlayer are un-managed providers unliked Gigenet which is managed.

I have good experiences with box WebNX / Softlayer / Gigenet. Gigenet's network is fantastic but I have also not had problems with WebNX or Softlayers network.

Softlayers control panel is by far the best on the market but there network isn't as good as Gigenets imo.

What kind of management service does Gigenet offer? I've not been able to get a hold of their sales team over live chat, I guess due to the weekend and I cannot find anything about their management on their web site.

What kind of management service does Gigenet offer? I've not been able to get a hold of their sales team over live chat, I guess due to the weekend and I cannot find anything about their management on their web site.
    Ali,

Sales chat is not online during weekends and only online m-f 10AM-6PM central.

For our SLA and server management please see:
    http://www.gigenet.com/information-c...nts-legal.html
    GigeNET

Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    WebNX / Softlayer are un-managed providers unliked Gigenet which is managed.

I have good experiences with box WebNX / Softlayer / Gigenet. Gigenet's network is fantastic but I have also not had problems with WebNX or Softlayers network.

Softlayers control panel is by far the best on the market but there network isn't as good as Gigenets imo.
    Softlayers panel may be the best, but I often find some features do not work and I have to submit tickets anyway. But that's my experience handling a couple hundred servers there over the years.

Can anybody compare with The Planet?

I am totally happy with network reliability at The Planet, but they are so unreasonably confused in handling simple requests that they have wasted an immense amount of my time and have frustrated me to no end.

Currently, I am waiting 3 days on a simple request for an 8-pack of IP addresses where the ticket was incorrectly closed out.

I have otherwise been a faithful customer of The Planet since about 2001. I feel things sliding downhill over the last couple of years.

Any thoughts?

They seem like a very good company. I'd definitely consider them in the future.

From the comments here, my main concern would be that it seems the company is heavily reliant on the talents of one stand-out individual, and I wonder if perception would be the same if that individual no longer worked for the company.

This is sort of the catch-22 of going with a smaller provider.

Quote Originally Posted by lbeachmike View Post
    Can anybody compare with The Planet?

I am totally happy with network reliability at The Planet, but they are so unreasonably confused in handling simple requests that they have wasted an immense amount of my time and have frustrated me to no end.

Currently, I am waiting 3 days on a simple request for an 8-pack of IP addresses where the ticket was incorrectly closed out.

I have otherwise been a faithful customer of The Planet since about 2001. I feel things sliding downhill over the last couple of years.

Any thoughts?
    Every company has its cycle, especially when its been around for awhile. You have to also keep in mind the acquisitions of Rackshack/Ev1servers, where a lot of good talent probably jumped ship to work elsewhere. Every time a company I've worked for was being acquired, I've left to make sure I earned my job somewhere else.

That said, as a customer I left ThePlanet about a year ago after that huge disaster/explosion. I had quite a few servers for so long, that they were all on first/second floor and offline for a majority of the outage period.

If you're in the leasing game, what I took away was- lease with multiple companies (dedicated/vps/whatever your requirements are). And make sure that at the very least, you OWN your backup servers/media.

ThePlanet is likely still a very good company, with a thick layer of worthless Level 1 techs running around that are interns/straight out of high school/and these days straight out of college. I'll likely do business with them in the future, but as cycles go we're away from them right now.

Sorry to hear about the long wait for 8 simple IP allocations. It's possible the network segment you're on has less than 8 available
    Darkscape Inc - Web Hosting
    █ 24x7x365 Phone/Helpdesk Support
    █ 1-888-DARKSCAPE (888-327-5722)

You do raise some good points, however, my ticket at The Planet for 8 new IPs is not taking forever due to availability. It is because they closed the ticket requesting the IPs due to somebody's poor reading comprehension. My subsequent ticket referencing the original has had an obscenely inadequate response time. I am now on the phone with them on hold while they sort out my simple request.

I was also down during a decent part of the H1 outage - however, it is *this* type of event that has me go elsewhere for my next server, not the outage.

mrk

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I've worked with all of the big players and many of the small players. Gigenet is definitely at the top of my list (right behind Webnx).

Lately I have been moving a lot of clients to Gigenet, primarily because they rock. I have not had one client come to me and not be in love with them. Their network is superb. Their support is top notch.

Damn near instant ticket replies.

Ameen helped me get a server up so I could migrate my company website away from RapidSwitch in a hurry.

I have a client bringing 3 more boxes up tonight. Excited to get them moved and operating correctly at a host that actually cares about you... Unlike their current host.

Kudos. I will be doing business with you for a long long time Gige!
    I second this. I've moved away from Softlayer and are heading to Gigenet. For SL, I didn't really experience any network issues, or equipment failures. However, I had a very low end server. I was on an old Pentium D server, which was far out of date in terms of performance. So I went to get a quote from them, and it was going to be high, even for a basic upgrade, especially when I can get more powerful servers elsewhere at the same price I was paying to Softlayer. A secondary goal was that I wanted R1soft backup, but there really wasn't anyone in the Softlayer Dallas datacenter, and it really needs to be in the same datacenter to function the way it should.

So I've been hearing a lot of things about Gigenet, and so I decided to hit them up. Like Steven, they've had excellent speed on the replies, and that's been awesome. The server is so much more powerful, and the R1soft rocks the way it was meant to be. I'm really pleased.

So thanks Gigenet, and keep it up! I think I'm at a place now where I can settle down. At least until I start colocating (I'm close to Peak10 and Caro.net, so I'd probably colo with them for distance reasons).
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

I second the post, especially for those just beginning their business or who need management help. We moved from Gigenet about 4 months ago because we needed something more scalable but I would recommend them for lower end type deployments. We moved to SoftLayer, Joyent, and GoGrid who have all been outstanding. I am a bit puzzled by the statements about SoftLayer because they have been hands down the best we have used in 6+ years of business.

we too sure that gigenet is the best in managment
    HostNotch Hosting Services 99.9% uptime Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting
    yajur | Sales Team
    CPanel Hosting R1 Soft Offsite-Backup Great Uptime
    http://hostnotch.com sales @ hostnotch.com

Quote Originally Posted by timburke View Post
    They are much better than Softlayer (better network, very knowledgeable support team) - I've had no experience with WebNX so I can't comment on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFactorServers View Post
    Just wondering, why do you guys think Gigenet's network is better?

Quote Originally Posted by mainpipe View Post
    Just wondering, why do you guys think Gigenet's network is better?
    Well, I've noticed a difference in the quality of network. The speed is better, etc. Also, on Softlayer, my pingdom would pick up little 1 minute downtimes here and there, but there wasn't any problems on the server itself. Now on Gigenet, I haven't had any 1 minute downtimes.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Wow this is a really good endorsement from a respected server admin.

I was thinking of getting another server with Softlayer but I'm just going to have to give these Gigenet guys a try now after reading this.

Gosh, lots of love for Gigenet here. Did you also know that if you are cold, Ameen is there with a blanket to warm you up? Its true, the guy is pretty ridiculous.
    Joseph Laws
    President - Hi-Definition Gaming LLC

(http://www.hd-gaming.com)
    Professional Gaming Services For The Professional Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by HiDef-Laws View Post
    Gosh, lots of love for Gigenet here. Did you also know that if you are cold, Ameen is there with a blanket to warm you up? Its true, the guy is pretty ridiculous.
    Heh

I would love to take the credit for all of the happy customers but I can't. There is a whole team behind the scenes that makes this machine tick, from our accounting team in jersey to our support techs, to our network engineers and infrastructure guys, with out them none of this would be possible so please tip your hats off to the team not just me
    GigeNET

I've been wanting to try Gigenet for a while now and sent an email on Thursday regarding a server and I still haven't received any response (already checked my spam folder). So yesterday evening, I attempted to start a live chat and waited almost two hours with a "Thanks for being patient" message running before I gave up.

I'm waiting on live chat now, but again, the "Thanks for being patient" message is running rampant and I've already been on "hold" for over 20 minutes.

I've heard such great things, but if I can't get my questions answered, I'm off to look elsewhere.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by powerMonster-Scott View Post
    I've been wanting to try Gigenet for a while now and sent an email on Thursday regarding a server and I still haven't received any response (already checked my spam folder). So yesterday evening, I attempted to start a live chat and waited almost two hours with a "Thanks for being patient" message running before I gave up.

I'm waiting on live chat now, but again, the "Thanks for being patient" message is running rampant and I've already been on "hold" for over 20 minutes.

I've heard such great things, but if I can't get my questions answered, I'm off to look elsewhere.
    I don't think sales does much on weekends.

To the network question.... I monitor at 1 minute intervals from a nagios cluster, for a few specific clients. 3 distributed locations to a central server. I often see most patches of downtime or latency from softlayer. Especially from their Seattle location.

I just got done migrating 5 servers from Seattle SL to Gige earlier this week. I was seeing a mere 400kb/sec. 350kb/sec to bqinternet.

As a comparison for distance I get close to max speed from webnx to bqinternet.

As a business, if they are not going to respond to live chat, then they need to be clear on their website that they are not currently available. This is simple enough to implement. Currently, it has given myself and Scott a negative initial impression despite all of the very favorable reviews here.

Nobody wants to do business with a server company that they believe will be difficult to get in touch with when needed.

Responsiveness is important all the way through.

Sometimes one's needs include getting a server ordered and provisioned quickly. Many of us don't have time to waste waiting on companies and hoping they will respond.

mrk

We use the planet and have been very happy overall with their performance.

Yes, the live chat has been disappointing, and I don't usually use it, but when I do, it should be available or say it's closed. Ameen told me it was closed all day today, although it was still on. And when the wait is going to be longer than usual, an option to send an email would be nice. I see their using LivePerson and we all know how expensive they are. There should be an option to opt out and just email instead of just being disconnected after waiting 2 hours or more.

I did finally get ahold of Ameen by way of PM. I will say that Ameen was great to work with, but it's sad that I had to go as far as PMing him rather then getting the answers I needed via the normal channels.

I understand that Sales isn't open 24/7, but when someone emails on Thursday, a reply by Friday should not be out of the question and if there's no one manning the live chat, then close it down.

I wouldn't be so hard-pressed to contact Gigenet, but I need to upgrade a server ASAP and my clients insist on the Chicago area and there aren't that many reputable and affordable dedi hosts up that way.

My current dedi providers don't have any rack space up in the midwest, so I'm in search of a midwest provider. I'm currently with WiredTree, but to upgrade to a dedi with them, it's just two expensive for our small-host budget. We need to operate in the black at all times and taking a hit like WiredTree's pricing (though very justified as they have a great network and service), is just not the best thing for our bottom line. We don't need all of the hand-holding that WT provides, so the premium just isn't justified in our book.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast