How do I migrate 300GB of data from one server to another?

I have SSH access to both servers. I am thinking doing 1GB rar splits and then extracting it on the other server unless there is a better solution available. How would I do this? These files are owned by 1 website, what would happen to the owner/permission of the files on the new server after extracting them?

What I did before was just ftp all the files (about 20 Gigs) from one server to another.

The files are protected from HTTP downloads, would that still work? And did you do that manually one by one or was it automated?

do you guys have a link to a guide to using rsync or scp?

Thanks. One more question. Typically if I were to pay someone to transfer these files for me, how much would that cost me?

It depends on the person, a lot of people bill per hour (ie $35 or $75), and 300GB won't go especially quick unless both boxes are on gig ports and get good speeds inbetween.

If you need someone to do it, hit up Steven from Rack911. He's the bomb.

I can tell you transferring 300 GB can take around 3 to 4 days. Basically could be more faster if you have good network speed.
    www.24x7servermanagement.com
    Server Management, Server Security, Server Monitoring.
    India's Leading Managed Service Provider !! Skype: techs24x7

rsync and scp are both are good options to transfer data.Do you have any control panel installed on server ?

Quote Originally Posted by Srv24x7 View Post
    I can tell you transferring 300 GB can take around 3 to 4 days. Basically could be more faster if you have good network speed.
    That all depends on the network. I have moved just over 1TB of data from Softlayer Dallas to iWeb in just over a day.

Depending on what he wants to move, using rsync all the data could be moved over in very little time.
    Uploadingit.com - Fast Reliable File Hosting

I have directadmin on both servers. I'll try to setup rsync.

Yes, rsync will be helpful for you. We have moved 400 GB data by using rsync over to another server. If you have good network speed, it will take approx.3 days.

You could doit via netcat in hours compared to rsync's days. An example would be:

Destination box: nc -l -p 2342 | tar -C /target_path/dir -xzf -
    Source box: tar -cz /source_path/dir | nc Target_Box 2342

Take in mind this will tar up the source to one file over the netcat pipe onto the destination machine. It is tremendously faster than doing a local tar then rsync or even sftp, etc. Of course, you get the speed at a price. This is unencrypted transfer but it provides a quick means of transferring data between two servers. (Preferably local since it does lack encryption.)
    FiberPeer.Com | | REAL DDoS Protection | Cloud Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | High Bandwidth Hosting | 1Gbps-10Gbps Unmetered
    FiberPeer DDoS Mitigation | ethProxy Upgraded! | 14-Years Experience | Emergency 24/7 Support
    Visit us @ www.fiberpeer.com