Good pricing for reseller?

What is a good price for a reseller account - and what type of features do you think should be included in such packages?

I cannot grasp how some people are getting away with selling master reseller accounts for $5 a month and still try to give the customer good service as well as added features like WHMCS, etc.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney-E2 View Post
    What is a good price for a reseller account - and what type of features do you think should be included in such packages?

I cannot grasp how some people are getting away with selling master reseller accounts for $5 a month and still try to give the customer good service as well as added features like WHMCS, etc.
    $5 master reseller account with WHMCS? They must have a large number of WHMCS licenses in order to offer it with such a low priced reseller account or it can't be profitable at all. On top of that, the resources given in that $5 plan must be very low unless they're overselling. Personally I wouldn't even recommend selling "master" reseller plans.

Including a free billing system like ClientExec or WHMCS is a great idea to attract more clients. For those who are actually looking to resell hosting, a included billing system would definitely help save time and money. A domain reseller account is also great and comes at almost no additional expense, Enom is recommended for that. As for pricing, it is really up to you. Nobody can really tell you how you should price your plans or what you should offer in terms of disk space and bandwidth. You may want to look at some other providers and use it as a general guideline though.

You would probably get more responses from other hosts if this was in http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

My thoughts are- they can't.

Ya I am just trying to find out peoples explanation for going to the bottom for everything.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

Master reseller plans for $5 with WHMCS included is a bit difficult to execute IMHO. You can see every body opposes the master reseller plans, just because of these kind of unbelievable and not much reliable hosting services.

Regarding the reseller features free billing soft ware , domain reseller accounts, number of dedicated IPs all make your plans attractive.

Support and uptime of servers are most important things according to me. I want to see a real company across from us and want to see their office address(not PO Box), phone and fax numbers. And they must be an old company. These features are necessary for a reliable company. The prices may start with $20/month and the plans must provide enough resource(disk space/bandwith etc.). The control panel must support multi-language(For example: if Cpanel hosting providers use RVSkin when it will support 24 languages).
    DomainCart - Domain and Hosting Shopping Cart with Integrated Bootstrap Hosting Template.
    www.domaincart.net - Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney-E2 View Post
    Don't know what you mean exactly by "getting away". They sell, yes, because there's lot of demand for "cheap" instead of value. Do they give good service? Mostly not, they're not even trying because it's impossible and the problems with such hosts abound, just look around in the forums. Do they sustain? Generically only, the phenomenon will probably be around forever, not just in this industry.

Hello,
    The ONLY way I can see offering WHMCS for $5.00 per month is a net loss. Generally the lowest cost you can get WHMCS (without stealing it) is arounf $7.50 per month. This assumes that you buy 100 or more.
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Geek Survival Guide - Reviews and Advice for Geeks

That is really fascinating. $5 a month for reseller account is just too hard to explain how they are doing it. Most of those hosts you see them here trying to sell their company. When they started running at a loss they want to sellout.

A 5$ a month "Master reseller" account (thus allowing you to load by yourself, the server to its full capacity if not monitored closely... ) with WHMCS.... impossible. They are obviously operating at a loss, possibly trying to build their name however they are more then likely running at a nasty loss rate currently, and we will probably end up seeing them posting there company here on WHT very soon

That being said, I think a reseller account should at least cost 10$ +. To be honest, if someone cannot afford a 10$ reseller account, maybe they should not consider getting into the web hosting biz just yet...When you throw in a billing system license for "free", I think that 13$-15$ is acceptable. Other additions such as end user support will obviously raise the price even more, however 5$ resellers... ew. Not worth it.

resellers are good at a starting price of 12-15$ a month for around 20gb-40gb space and 100-150gb bandwidth or more.

resellers are good at a starting price of 12-15$ a month for around 20gb-40gb space and 100-150gb bandwidth or more.
    That would all depend on quality of network, support, hardware, uptime, and bandwidth, along with feature set and backups. Simply meaning you may find a reseller account for $60 a month that is a steal compared to a $15 account offering twice the space and bandwidth. You cannot base a "good" deal on price for disk space/bandwidth alone.

Quote Originally Posted by tcstatic View Post
    You cannot base a "good" deal on price for disk space/bandwidth alone.
    Well said! Did anybody listen? I'm afraid this seems to be a recurring discussion...

i thing 10$ is good

if we get custom nameservers
    100 Gb space and unlimted bandwidth
    can create unlimited cpanel and reseller acc

Quote Originally Posted by GauravJ View Post
    i thing 10$ is good

Oh yes, better still half this price and unlimited space

i feel it might be difficult to get a good deal for 5$

Hi!
    Please..come on, folks. unlimited my ***. You knew the answer to your question before you even started this thread.

It depends.

It depends if you allow those resource-destroying proxies..or anything else like that.

It depends on where the server is..and (gasp) how well it is managed.

It depends on what market you are trying to reach.

It depends on what support level is to be rendered.

It depends on your idea of a "reasonable" amount of clients/accounts on a server. What? 100? 200? 500? 1,000?

You'll see me offer unlimited anything..no..wait! Free air! There you go..unlimited air. I am sorry to say we can't guarantee the QUALITY of that air..but..for now..it's free.

Yes..it may kill you in some places..but..hey! You're not having to pay for it! It's free.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 09-25-2009 at 10:02 AM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1 View Post
    Hi!
    Please..come on, folks. unlimited my ***. You knew the answer to your question before you even started this thread.

It depends.

It depends if you allow those resource-destroying proxies..or anything else like that.

It depends on where the server is..and (gasp) how well it is managed.

It depends on what market you are trying to reach.

It depends on what support level is to be rendered.

It depends on your idea of a "reasonable" amount of clients/accounts on a server. What? 100? 200? 500? 1,000?

You'll see me offer unlimited anything..no..wait! Free air! There you go..unlimited air. I am sorry to say we can't guarantee the QUALITY of that air..but..for now..it's free.

Yes..it may kill you in some places..but..hey! You're not having to pay for it! It's free.

Bryon
    You made me hard laughed

Quote Originally Posted by GauravJ View Post
    i thing 10$ is good

Good for whom? What kind of quality can that buy you? How many accounts would have to be on that server for the upstream provider to make money?

I mean if you are willing to settle for a P4 motherboard sitting on a paper plate, connected to 4 cheap desktop class TB sata drives running out of some kids closet... I guess you are fine.

Hi!
    Oh yes..and I have not got off the soapbox yet! No sir/madam! Here's the kicker:

It depends if you want to be around next year...or....

be just like the rest of the people who:

Are hoping to pay for that server with income from signups this month

Have no advertising budget..and are using WHT and other forums to market their..umm..."services"

Are using applications from within Fantastico to provide "support"..if you want to call it that..or..even worse..MSN chat!

Have no clue about how this business works..

Just registered that domain last month

No contact info..no phone..no address...

Claim 24/7 support..but..never is chat available..even during "normal" business hours.

Still living with Mom and/or Dad.

And..drum roll please...

>>>Can't even afford your own internet connection..you're stealing a wireless connection from a neighbor.

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 09-25-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Seriously folks, though....reseller accounts should only be offered by companies that have been around awhile...and know what they are doing.

I'm sorry..no..you can't install anything and everything on a shared server just because customer A wants it.

You can give a good deal on the first month to get people to try your service. However..as I have posted before..it seems to me many of these are clearly designed to show you why you shouldn't stay and pay for month #2..or #3...or #4...

Trust. This is a key piece of the puzzle. Can you be trusted? Resellers are trusting you with THEIR clients. Are you worthy?

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

In the long run, assuming that we and our sites don't get assimilated into the "cloud", the trend that budget hosting took will firmly establish itself in the reseller hosting (budget side of it at least).

The reason is at least twofold: competition among reseller hosting providers and the "need" of resellers to promote packages that let them compete with the Godaddy's of the hosting world.

The major difference is the time scale I think. It took shared hosting 4-5 years for things to really accelerate towards "unlimited". It will take significantly longer for reseller hosting.

Why it can work out? GauravJ is an example. Customers believe what they see and take it at face value. Customers at the same time don't need anywhere close to what they think they do or will. Most resellers will actually fail at growing a hosting business. They'll be paying their $10 and host their own sites. Any site/end user account that uses for than the other 1000 sites on the server is a candidate for suspension.

Also, once everybody starts selling unlimited shared hosting (it is where we're headed), reseller accounts must either address the need. Either they offer what it takes, or if survival isn't likely, switch to "reseller programs", Godaddy style.

Yeah I have a bleak future in mind.

I disagree. I think there are many like me that could care less what the godaddy's of the world are doing. I should know..I am a current customer and always will be..for their domain registration only.

I wouldn't sign up for a unlimited space if the gator gave me one. Ok..well..if they gave it to me I might try it.

Bottom line: Let's face the facts: The "godaddy's" of this world are horrible hosts..even for just email. I have got to believe many people chose poor service and support for their prices.

Still...I have to believe there are those who refuse poor service and support at cheapo prices..and are willing to pay extra for good services and support.

I don't believe this is a hopeless situation..and everybody is going to flock to them for hosting. Not for one second.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Also, once everybody starts selling unlimited shared hosting (it is where we're headed), reseller accounts must either address the need. Either they offer what it takes, or if survival isn't likely, switch to "reseller programs", Godaddy style.

Yeah I have a bleak future in mind.
    Yes, you do have a bleak future in mind

See, I look at it as an opportunity for the other end of the spectrum for those hosts willing to stand their ground. Provide all the things budget hosts lack/leave out such as support (quality, methods, one touch resolution of support tickets, and support response time), feature sets, uptime, scalability, etc.

Of course, I am not a hosting company, but the industry completely fascinates me. I can say I spend way to much time talking about hosting

What a competitive world today!
    This will only jeopardize the whole hosting industry.
    Last edited by ControlVM; 09-25-2009 at 12:29 PM.

A good price range is between $15 and $30, anything below and you may run the risk of losing quality. Look for a reasonable about of space and bandwidth, do not look for those offering unlimited.