Cloud Sites seems expensive? Other suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I'm planning on launching a website in a few weeks that allows users to list and find rentals (apartments, houses, etc) for free. I have no idea how successful the site will be, but assuming it does alright I would need a hosting solution that can keep up with user image uploads (via php), bandwidth from static images, and a whole lot of DB I/O.

I'm currently setup with "Cloud Servers" through Rackspace, but the more I look at this the more I think I don't want to deal with managing a server. I've also looked a lot at the "Cloud Sites" option, but it's expensive and it's probably more than I need. At the same time cheap shared hosting seems too weak.

Can anyone suggest something in between for someone who wants it easy? Is shared hosting going to be enough for me to launch? Any ideas are greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Try a VPS plan if you feel shared hosting isn't cutting the mustard. There are plenty of hosts who offer VPS plans which offer much more than shared hosting, are fully managed (just check with the host) and is cheaper than going for a full out dedicated server.
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

If you are just starting out which probably means there is not much traffic. So why are you looking for a high end solution like VPS/cloud site.

Instead you can go for shared hosting with reputable providers like pair, futurequest, rochen and others and as site grows you can plan migrating to larger plan/VPS or so on.

Or just go for a low-end dedicated server so you can have full control of all the resources.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by pingme97 View Post
    If you are just starting out which probably means there is not much traffic. So why are you looking for a high end solution like VPS/cloud site.
    Probably a good point... the only reason I was avoiding doing this was to avoid migration later if things go well.

Quote Originally Posted by loucards07 View Post
    Probably a good point... the only reason I was avoiding doing this was to avoid migration later if things go well.
    In this case, I'd recommend using Amazon S3 (which is cloud) to store non static files, so on the VPS, you only have minimum number of files, which makes migration much easier. A lot of sites are using Amazon S3 to scale, including twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by loucards07 View Post
    Starting with a budget dedicated server is also a good idea, it will give you more room to grow, but going with a shared account isnt a bad start if you choose cpanel as your control panel moving to a VPS or Server will make it easier when the time comes.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by johnch View Post
    In this case, I'd recommend using Amazon S3 (which is cloud) to store non static files, so on the VPS, you only have minimum number of files, which makes migration much easier. A lot of sites are using Amazon S3 to scale, including twitter.
    I was thinking of using "cloud files" from Rackspace/Mosso to serve up user image uploads and take the load of my server. Maybe I should just stick with shared hosting and upload/store everything to a CDN? I guess I should probably create a new post about this since I'm getting off topic... WHT is awesome.

Vps is good for starting out.