Let's all use a Javascript redirect on our main page!

I had to laugh.

I went to a site today that had no content on their default "main" page, just a Javascript redirect to an internal page that was 1 more level deep. It did NOT send a 301 html code, and Javascript has to be enabled for it to work.

I don't know why anyone would want to do this, for SEO I think the search engines wouldn't bother following it. They were selling furniture online, so it wasn't like they were trying to hide anything.

Why not put your content on the main page?

This is a prime example of what not to do.

I don't think you get any search engine brownie points even if you did a 301 redirect first thing on your main page. Not a good idea.

let me be perfectly clear about this:

redirects using javascript, or meta-refresh are stupid, broken, insane and idiotic

they are growing like fungus.

why is this?
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

.htaccess redirect works fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by web-1 View Post
    I had to laugh.

I went to a site today that had no content on their default "main" page, just a Javascript redirect to an internal page that was 1 more level deep. It did NOT send a 301 html code, and Javascript has to be enabled for it to work.

I don't know why anyone would want to do this, for SEO I think the search engines wouldn't bother following it. They were selling furniture online, so it wasn't like they were trying to hide anything.

Why not put your content on the main page?

This is a prime example of what not to do.

I don't think you get any search engine brownie points even if you did a 301 redirect first thing on your main page. Not a good idea.
    It's called backlink building, probably just a placeholder site, and if you have a bunch of backlinks that are "deep" into a site, you'll get better links then if they were on the front page. That's a pretty blackhat method though, if that's what they were going for...

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    let me be perfectly clear about this:

redirects using javascript, or meta-refresh are stupid, broken, insane and idiotic

they are growing like fungus.

why is this?
    Not really sure why you say that, but I have no problem with them as long as they go to the site it's supposed to go to.
    Not sure what to put here :-P